Author Topic: PULLED A STUPID ONE THIS MORNING  (Read 2413 times)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
PULLED A STUPID ONE THIS MORNING
« on: December 27, 2011, 12:23:27 PM »
Got up and but my legs on and thought i had both of them locked good, walked out of the bedroom and  made a couple of steps and my left leg decided to take a hike down the hallway on me, and i went down right on the end of my left stump, so now i am riding me wheels for a while until the swelling goes down and i can get my legs on again, don't feel bad about it for it is not the first time this has happened to me, it just makes me madder than all get out for not checking it better before i got up, good thing i have some pain med here at the house, had to take one to  knock the pain down a little so that i  could stand it, what was bad was i was carring a glass of water with me to the kitchen and it went all over the place and i was sitting in the middle of  it all cussing like a mule skinner for being so dang stupid. And not only that i am busier than a one armed paper hanger out in my shop and this is gonna put me back some more.
you-all have a great day.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: PULLED A STUPID ONE THIS MORNING
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 10:10:06 AM »
Hello Jack

Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope it doesn't interfere too much with your holiday enjoyment.

I had a little mishap on christmas day. I was out riding and my horse spooked unexpectedly and I went flying. When I got up my foot was sideways and  I feared that I had broken my hip. It wasn't but it was very painful. I have  fallen a few times before but this was the first time I landed with my full weight on my prosthesis. I may try riding with out my prosthesis next time.
Happy new year

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 08:45:25 PM »
I know this isn't funny but you paint a really funny picture.  I can visualize you sitting on the floor, in a puddle of water, saying really BAD words!  I hope the pain is getting better.  Knowing you, you be on your feet in no time!  Get better.  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 09:40:39 AM »
PLJ - I've done that too! A few years ago, I had a revision on my leg. A bit of a face lift. I could hardly sleep in the hospital (I was in overnight) and so the next day when I went home I went to the couch for a nice nap. The doorbell rang mid-nap. I jump off the couch and didn't even think to put the leg on, I just stared walking. The first step was fine but when I went for the second I went straight down onto my newly stitched up stump. It hurt. For some reason I still felt I had to answer the door as I 'knew' it was my brother who lives in America (I must have been dreaming as he wasn't due to come to Ireland for a visit). I hop over and it was the postman leaving off a letter and wanting to have a nice friendly chat. Oddly enough I didn't want to be rude even though I was in some serious pain but suffice to say the chat was quick. I noticed it was bleeding and after calling the GP (local doctor) I received my first and probably last house call.

Herb - Yikes! That is one of the things that has me weary about riding horses. That and falling off and bouncing myself off a rock.

Hope you both start to feeling better.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 11:24:09 AM »

Guys, you do know New Years Eve isn't until the 31st. of December.... ;)   Guess you both will have a new years drinking alittle wine or maybe a hot toddy  {just to ease the pain} and watch the ball/apple drop.  Be sure to have your pork and cabbage for good luck the 1st. and get well soon.   :)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 10:15:44 PM »
Happy New Year Everyone

I will be having a few glasses of wine to celebrate, Of course I have a few glasses of wine everyday.

Steve - I always worry about hitting the scattered boulders that are everywhere in NH. A few years ago my youngest son fell off a horse and split his skull  on a large rock. He had to have emergency surgery and was in the hospital for 5 days. Fortunately he recovered quickly.

Steve - I have talked to a few other new amputees that have done the exact same thing. You must have been sleepwalking.
Herb

I have heard that lots of ak amputees ride without their prosthesis. I am afraid if I do that I will end up on the ground in the woods a mile from home with no way to get home. I ride a very young, spirited stallion who is barely broken in to riding. I've been getting on him everyday for only a few minutes.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 05:47:13 PM »
Just a sit rep, i am just about back to normal have been using my walker for the last three days. looks like sometime monday i will be able to put it away agian, until the next time this happen and i know that it will, dont know why i do it but it justs happens and man what a  pain in the you know what when it does, still have found out why the lock came open on me. It is working A okay now, sitting here in me wheel and it is only 3:44 here and usually i work out in my shop until after 4, put manage to finish up one of my projects a little earlier today, so i came in a got out of my legs and rubbed the left one down with pain releive cream and have both of them rapped up in a small blanket to keep them warm. So thats about it for now. more later.

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 01:14:52 PM »

Guys, you do know New Years Eve isn't until the 31st. of December.... ;)   Guess you both will have a new years drinking alittle wine or maybe a hot toddy  {just to ease the pain} and watch the ball/apple drop.  Be sure to have your pork and cabbage for good luck the 1st. and get well soon.   :)

Texas means black-eyed peas for good luck.
Best to all.

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 10:41:22 PM »
I came right out of one of my legs some years back on the first tee at Cordova Bay golf club here in Victoria.

My buddies had already hit their drives and I smoked one right down the middle, out past theirs, but put a little too much into it. No pin system, just a suspension sleeve holding the leg on. A help up, a quick re-adjust, and away we went!

It's always good for a laugh until someone gets hurt! lol

Happy New Year to all.

David in Canada
pin-hi

Offline stinker373

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 08:05:11 PM »
Now Jack you know better than to sit in puddles hehehehehe. Hope it gets better real quick.... :)

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 01:25:12 AM »
I must be lucky or something.  I've only done the trick of forgetting the prosthetic and running for the bathroom ONCE.  I did fall on my left stump the day before they casted for my very first socket.  I laid on the floor and took pain pills, after 3 hours I was finally able to get up.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 06:01:35 PM »
To all that answered me on this, i am back up and running on both legs now and am up to 5 ply  on the left leg and 3 on the right one. some times that is to  much and have to adjust to a lower number, but other than that i am okay and will be until the next time it happens and i know it is gonna happen just when i dont know, sure wish sometimes i did that way i could look out for it before it happens, but then that would take all the fun out of it. bye for now, HAVE A GREAT DAY, it is in the 80's down here today.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 03:09:07 PM »

Jack, did U say U had your liners cut way down in behind your knee?  thus helping to stop the wadding up of the liner?  How about the knee area?

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 09:16:56 PM »
Ann, it wasnt myliners it was my sockets that were cut down, they made them too high in the back and after i had them cut some out of back there my problem disappeared and fast, my liner for one stoped bunching up back there. Sorry to mislead you on that.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 03:29:39 PM »

I have mine cut down in the back also...guess I thought they all were.   No am having trouble with liners bunching up really bad & then I have  almost a blister behind my knee.

Thought U were talking about your liners.   :)