Author Topic: Insurance and pre existing conditions  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Freytheviking

• View Profile
Insurance and pre existing conditions
« on: December 09, 2011, 02:02:38 AM »
Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone here have any insurance tips. I am currently on cobra but it's about to run out. I work for a small business so I do not have group insurance available. As an amputee with pre existing conditions, are there anyway I can find an insurance policy that covers prosthetics? Any tips would be hugely appreciated.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance and pre existing conditions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 09:14:43 AM »
I'd love to help but I have no advice what so ever. I don't even have health insurance.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 07:20:19 PM »
Frey, you are gonna have to just shop around and find one that suits your needs,  and it aint gonna be easy, there must be over a couple hundred differant insurance companies that i know off and all offer a couple or a dozen differant ways to go. That is about all i can  add, for i am on MEDICARE due to my age and retirement, and living on SOCIAL SECURITY.
you-all have a great day.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
Hi Max
Purchasing insurance on your own to cover prosthetics would be way too expensive to buy. You are going to need many legs before you can get on medicare.

I got help back in the 1970s from vocational rehabilitation. They were an enormous help to me.

I do not think that there are any easy solutions.

I have known people who have changed jobs just to get the insurance offered by the company. Another option is to find a woman who works at a company that offers good insurance and marry her to get on her policy.

You could temporarily move to another country that offers free medical care.

good luck
herb

Offline stinker373

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 09:24:55 PM »
There should be a survey as to who covers what and how much.  Perhaps pound the pavement and politations with petations for better care.  Perhaps make up a lost of stay away from those  insurance comaanies so people  dont have to bother calling them at all.  Another way is to blacklist all those companies that want you to pay a fortune for benifets....There has to be some way to get coverage.