Author Topic: Dose it ever end?  (Read 2061 times)

snowbear

Dose it ever end?
« on: April 01, 2008, 05:29:44 PM »
I was doing great with my prosthetic for 2 years..Started the day with no socks and ended with 3 ply..Now I start with 5 and end with 10! UGH!! I changed shape and shrunk by 1" again!! it will be 5 years come July and  I'm still shrinking? LOL!! I was casted last Friday for my new socket...I dread the thought. I was comfortable with my cosmetically covered leg now I start all over again. I do still have pain and can't walk much due to the remaining birth defect still in my stump.. But I manage well. I manage to work 4.0 hours in a school with 1st graders so I'm Farley active. Oh well we will see how it goes from here!

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dose it ever end?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 06:18:20 PM »
Snowbear, it all comes down to the person, i have been a bi bka now for 6 years last march, and get up in the morning and have a 3 ply on the left one and nothing on the right and some times i have to go to a 5 on the left and a 3 on the right, but other than that  i haven't shrunk that much in the last 2 years.

So as i have said before each and everone of us is just a little differant in make up of our bodies.

Do believe that the cosmedic covering can be transfered to your new socket with out too much damage to it. Had it done on a pair i had, never did like it so now am just showing off my what i call chicken legs.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Jerry B

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 10:11:33 PM »
I'v been a right b/k amp for almost 30 yrs. The shrinking and volume changes have never stopped. It all hinges on what i do (activity) for the day.

snowbear

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 06:31:56 PM »
Thanks! I'm very active or at least I try to be..I will ask my prosthetist about transforming the cosmetic cover over! thanks!

I may be off for a while our computer crashed! I'm at the library now..Hopefully I will get our computer back soon! Thanks for your wisedome relays!

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 08:47:36 PM »
I just got my leg...hopefully it will last for awhile.  This one took writing to the company about my leg~guy to get it right....then it was almost a year....he just doesn't listen to his patients...just does it his way.

I tell you, I was about ready to jump up & down and start screaming @ him.  I would have, but I was afraid I'd hurt my good leg.   ::)

This just happened,  I wanted a second liner...to make it easier to keep them clean.  He ordered the wrong umbrella on the bottom (he ordered the large one) and I use the small.  When I picked it up, I told him I was sure it was the wrong one....he started to argue so I said OK & brought it home.  Called him right back & told him I had the small one.  You know, you shouldn't have to go through that!  His office is
just a mess(to put it lightly)  >:(

;)
ann

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 01:13:16 AM »
Ann:

Makes no sense.  Don't they keep records?  My prosthetist keeps records of what has been provided to me - from prosthetic components to socks and liners - what brand and size, etc.

Is this guy the only act in town?  If he won't listen to you, sounds like it's time to shop for a new provider.

I hope you can get this straightened out real soon.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Jjbach

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 07:56:42 AM »
I am not pushing a brand, but, what I have found since I started to use a vacuum system I have not had to add a sock at all from the time I start to the end of the day.  I have no blisters, or sore spots, that I used to get every now and then with the pin lock.  For me, this system works great. My stump even looks good.  I am not a sales person, just letting you know a lot of the problems you mention are handles with the vac system. 
BTW: rbk since 2000.  vac system for 2 years now.

snowbear

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 08:07:26 PM »
I have tried many different types..Seal in liner for me stinks, suspension system, I forget how may others, I really like the pin lock system so far..I like it as I don't need suspension sleeve with it..I can't have the pump it up system as I can't have a tight fit due to the neuroma...I hope to get the new socket soon.