Author Topic: Stump volume control, questions  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Freytheviking

• View Profile
Stump volume control, questions
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:14:34 AM »
Hey everyone, I am finally walking again after my accident last year! It is an awesome feeling.

However, I am not without problems with my prosthetic. It's very inconsistent. On the good days, there is no pain at all but it can very well hurt like crap the next day. I think my limb volume changes way too much day by day to have a consistent fit in my above knee socket. Any one have any tips other than wearing a shrinker to keep my stump volume consistent? Thanks!

Offline uScott

• View Profile
Re: Stump volume control, questions
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 02:20:14 PM »
I'm at 10+ years and still get that sometimes, especially if I wait until later in the day before putting my leg on (some days I'm just lazy). You can try using elastic wraps or a stump shrinker, you might also experiment with your diet (e.g. sodium intake) to see if you can influence your body's tendency to retain fluid.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 03:33:22 PM »
freythe viking, yes they do change and from hour to hour, dont know you made your leg but they should have  told  you this, i get up in the morn and after i but my liner on i but on a 6 ply sock and hour later some times two hous i need to put on another 6 ply sock to correct the change in volume of my  stump. and if i am going to be away from the house for a long period of time i take with me some 2 ply socks to use if i am going to have to walk and distance at all then i add or subtrack socks as needed in order to walk without pain, have a feeling the pain that you are having is that you are going down and hitting the end of your stump. you need to talk to your leg maker about this, he should be able to explain it better than i am doing. And also after you get up to 12-15 ply of socks it is tiime to have you socket remade, i am in that very same place  now, have an appointment next tuesday for a test socket fitting for a new set of sockets.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Freytheviking

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 10:49:48 AM »
Yea, I'm aware that it changes but it seems my stump even changes after I sit down for awhile! Annoying :-(. Guess it's something I have to deal with

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 04:18:50 PM »
Its quite common to have alot of volume change when you're new to prosthetic use.
There is also a 'breaking in' period which is longer for some than others, i compare wearing a new socket to breaking in a new Hiking boot or Safety shoe - they can be really uncomfortable and hurt like hell until the material has bedded in and your feet have got used to the feel, the same applies to a socket and a stump. I would recommend starting off wearing for no more than an hour a day for the first week, then build up to 2 hours the next and so on; that way, you will gradually increase your tolerance. I remember the last pair of safety shoes i bought, they felt fine on day 1, but my heels were in shreds by day 3 and i had to go back to my old shoes and look like a hobo!
As for the volume control, most people will experience volume changes for between 1 and 3 years after wearing their first prosthetic limb. factors such as activity level and other medical conditions can make some people more prone to changes than others. Some people are constantly fluctuating (e.g. those on Dialysis)

Offline Freytheviking

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 08:24:17 PM »
Does different types of socket have better/worse stump volume control?

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »
PTB (Patella tendon bearing) sockets for below the knee are widely considered the best for newer amputees who are likely to reduce in volume - as you can add more socks. Below knee suction sockets are also quite good. Vacuum systems (e.g. Otto Bock Harmony, Ohio Willow Wood LimbLogic) are generally used to help control volume fluctuation
Lock and Pin liners are generally indicated for those who's volume is stable; this suspension may fail if your size changes considerably from the liner size - although socks can be worn on the outside of the liner. new amputees using this type of system will likely need smaller liners as the stump matures - new liners = more cost and new fittings
Seal-in liners and Transfemoral suction sockets are volume critical and are unlikely to work if you are experiencing volume change

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 09:24:37 PM »
Depending on your socket, the first question I would ask is do you have a liner and you can wear socks?  If so then you can adjust the number of socks to fit.   But sometimes you can be wearing to many socks which acts like a suction pulling on your liner when in fact you have to many socks on, the old fashipn way to check  is to put some plummers putty (a round ball in the bottom of your socket), then put your leg on and if it smashes the putty flat you need to add socks, if you are not hitting the putty you are not getting all the way in and need to reduce the number of socks.  Also eating salty foods cand increase volume size and the oher things are weight changes and when you shower.  After a shower you may want to wait to put on you prosthesis.   I take my shower at night so I do not have that issue in the morning.  Hope this helps if not let me know and I have one other suggestion your prosthetist can do.
Hope all goes well :)