Author Topic: how do you get around without your prosthesis?  (Read 6870 times)

Offline beth

• View Profile
how do you get around without your prosthesis?
« on: March 31, 2008, 01:20:00 AM »
Hi everyone,
  As my last post said, i have a 4 year old with a BKA.  He hops around without his leg, but lately has been having pain behind his knee and up his hip. How do most of you BKA's get around without your extremity? Crutches? Hopping? and old leg????

Offline naseigfried

• Me on the right with Theron, my great legman. RIP
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace page
Re: how do you get around without your prosthesis?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 08:06:46 AM »
I'm only without my leg when sleeping or taking a shower. I use crutches to get in and out of shower. I hop very little because of the consequences on the good leg.
LBK since April 2004

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 08:15:01 AM »
Beth, am a bilateral bka, and use my wheel chair when i dint have my legs on or i walk on my knees if i have to.

As for your son hopping around on his good leg is a no-no, it is putting undue stress on it and that is the main reason that it is getting pain full for him.

One other thing isto have him do exercises that strengthen his good leg that will help. young children are amazing at what they can do and cant. i know that getting a four year old to use his crutches when he docent have his leg on can be a choir in it's self. for they are highly independent at that age.
you-all have a great day.

Offline billf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 11:26:46 AM »
Beth:
I know of one amp that has an extra leg that he can just "slip" into with a few ply of socks (no liner, sleeve or pins) to move around inside the home for brief trips.  I use a walker to move around the home without my leg.  I find it more secure than crutches in dark or dim room light.
Notoes

snowbear

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 06:56:49 PM »
I use to hop but its not good for the knee. I knee walk allot or use a knee walker scooter...Really tired of the crutches. I learned to use crutches at age 3.

Offline billf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 12:35:59 PM »
Snowbear and any others:

Those that have used alternative devices for mobility when not wearing leg, could you post your experiences.  Much appreciated.

Notoes

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 05:21:20 PM »
As others have said, hopping is not good for the rest of the body.  Although I know one skilled guy who can hop around and not spill his beer, coffee or bowl of cereal!

I spend a lot of time crawling around on my knees.  I also use a wheelchair to get around.  My upstairs method (wheelchair won't fit up there) is I have a little board with wheels on it that I sit on and scoot around with my hands.

Now which of this will a child do?????
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

snowbear

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 05:34:37 PM »
Snowbear and any others:

Those that have used alternative devices for mobility when not wearing leg, could you post your experiences.  Much appreciated.

Notes

Hello! I use a knee walker its a scooter type of device with a area for your stump and you push with your sound leg. Its OK...But it does not have rotation wheels. So I have to pick it up and turn when I need to. I use it only at might before I take my leg off. I never take my leg off during the day..Only to add a sock of course. I don't care for crutches at all. I used them since I was 3 on and off. I may look into something else.

snowbear

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 05:39:12 PM »
I do a lot of knee walking more than anything..Especially at night when I have to use the bathroom! My husband  calls me the munchkin from the wizard of OZ when I do this! :)

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 05:52:41 PM »
I'm a BAK so don't have a good leg to hop on... :) so I just scoot along the floor using 'push up bars' to get a little elevation as I sort of leap frog along. I usually wear my legs from the time I get up till going to bed. The few times that I've been out without my legs, I've used a wheelchair.

I have seen a several aids for BKAs... here's a rolling one: http://elitemedical.com/rolleraid.html
Here's a second rolling one: http://www.roll-a-bout.com/

I've also seen a single 2 handled crutch for single amputees where you lean on it with both arms and step with the one good leg, but I can't find a link. If anyone is familiar with it, perhaps they can post it.

Peter
BAK since '74

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 07:51:40 PM »
I use fore arm crutches if I am going very far. I usually go into the shower or take the dog out on crutches. I hop some in the bedroom to get dressed, hop around in the bathroom and hop some when I am cooking or making coffee without my leg on. I had to have a surgical repair done to one of my arms this winter and could not use crutches for 3 months because my arm has been in a sling. So I started using my pegleg to get into the shower and other things before dressing in the morning. I got to like that way to get around. I normally only wear my pegleg when I go swimming, canoeing, or skiing. Herb

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 08:16:07 PM »
I've also seen a single 2 handled crutch for single amputees where you lean on it with both arms and step with the one good leg, but I can't find a link. If anyone is familiar with it, perhaps they can post it.

http://www.hartfordwalkingsystems.com/
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline King Rocky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 10:15:47 AM »
I used to hop around a bit .. I actually thought it strengthened the muscles on the good knee and the leg ... but a while ago ... I'm not sure exactly what happened, but my good knee started swelling and it was hurt quite badly (I think it happened when I turned around quickly, applying a lot of pressure on that knee) ... from that time, I stopped hopping around. 
I am doing a fair bit exercise each day on the good leg and knee to keep it in shape, so it can hold me.
I use a walker to move around in the bathroom, as if I hop I will surely skid and not only break my back, but all sorts of things can happen.

Personally, those who have the habit of hopping around with the good leg .. please don't ... I don't think it's advisable.  Perhaps in an emergency to move around is okay, but not all the time.

I use my leg all day round, until I retire for the night.

One Physiotherapist, advised that I lie down on my back, and try and lift the good leg straight up to about 1 foot or 1 1/2 ft. .... they say it's tough and hard to do that and it strengthens the muscles on the thigh and around the knee area. 
I have been doing that for over 3 months now and must admit that it feels a lot better.  Earlier I used to lift it all the way up, but the physio said THAT IS CHEATING!!! as it is easy to do that ... lifting it a bit is hardwork - Try it - if you don't believe me.

King Rocky
aka - Jan. '06
"Significant times in life are NOT ALWAYS significant, when we are going through it" -  Rajan '98

Offline allen-uk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 09:15:38 AM »
What a horrible thought!

In 3 years, it hasn't arisen, thankfully. I suppose if I really had to I'd revert to crutches, which I don't like, but at least will get you from room to room.

I would have thought they would be best for a small child, too - you could try and turn it into a game. But only for inside the house, and maybe a supervised and fenced garden.

(I do take my leg off when cleaning low down in the flat, or for fixing cables, etc., which are at floor level, but I wouldn't call it moving around; I'm always glad to be back on two feet).

Allen.
London, left bka.

snowbear

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 01:09:16 PM »
I also have a knee walker scooter..I don't care for crutches at all..used them since I was 3...I either knee walk or use my knee walker scooter.