Author Topic: Funeral for a friend  (Read 8860 times)

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
Funeral for a friend
« on: September 08, 2011, 01:50:41 AM »
This forum seems to be fading away....shall we start making arrangements and has the next of kin been notified...
pin-hi

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: Funeral for a friend
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 01:16:34 PM »
Nah... let's party!

The wake should be good... ;)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 06:23:55 PM »
No, it's not time yet. It's helped me out more times than I can remember. We should all just post more!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 07:17:04 PM »
I love this forum.  It has helped me so much.  When I found it, I was relieved to meet other people who could help me or I could help.  I'm going to post more!  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 01:19:07 AM »
Well, I guess we've been "saved by the bell"! Apparently, they used to bury folks before they were dead on occasion.  They'd set up a string from the casket to allow the buried folks, who were still alive, pull the string to ring a bell to let the folks doing the burying know that they had jumped the gun. Which leads me to ask, where did the expression "jumped the gun" come from? Glad to see you cyber friends checked in. I'll try to post more often too.

The pic I attached is from Victoria, B.C. where I live, down by the water with Mt. Baker on the U.S. side in the horizon.
pin-hi

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 06:52:45 AM »
I heard that the expression 'jumped the gun" originated from athletics. In foot races where a starter pistol was used, when a runner started before the gun went off they had 'jumped the gun".

You learn something everyday!

Nice picture. I was in Victoria while serving on subs in the Navy. A nice port of call. As I recall the local women were stunning as well. Unfortunately for me they were completely immune to my charms, but stunning never the less. My favorite refusal came from a young Victoria woman. When I asked if she would like to dance she replied "I can't, I'm holding my drink".  :D
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 08:35:58 AM »

Not a very good excuse!  Just look what she missed out on Steve.... ;)      Start a story {our own} like we did on another forum.  U use only three words when U add to the story...it can go on any topic & in anyway U want,  U can add facts or just silly thoughts.   I will start it out and anybody can chime in.   If U don't want to do this we don't have to...just a thought to keep the wheels turning alittle more.   :)

In old times,

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 07:48:10 PM »
before the internet

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 08:46:31 PM »
, on a dark and stormy night,
pin-hi

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 07:32:51 AM »
he sat wondering

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 10:20:28 AM »
In old times, before the internet, on a dark & stormy night, he sat  wondering  :-\.  Where is my sweetie;

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 12:25:51 PM »
In old times, before the internet, on a dark & stormy night he sat wondering, where is my sweetie? Then she called...

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 09:57:38 PM »
In old times, before the internet, on a dark & stormy night he sat wondering, where is my sweetie? Then she called...
I'm waiting, Love!

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 12:47:38 PM »
I'm waiting, Love!   But where Love,

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 08:25:10 PM »
In old times before the internet, on a dark & stormy night he sat wondering, where is my sweetie? Then she called..."I'm waiting, Love"!   "But where, Love?" He cried forlornly.

(using only three words is hard!)