Author Topic: Brief Rant  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Brief Rant
« on: July 07, 2011, 12:51:23 PM »
Rant:
My newest leg has never been right (painful doing most anything after a while. I think the sock is just too thin). I've probably waffled on about that for ages. A few weeks ago my prosthetist and I were meeting up to solve it. He suggests thickening the outside the socket and then grinding some space out of the inside so that I can wear some cotton socks. My old leg was cracked (but repaired. I've mentioned this before) but the sleeves and socks are nearly useless as they are all ripped up from wear and tear. After weeks of trying to get new ones ordered I just said 'order what you can' instead of the original socks and liners. He tells me that things are nearly there but when I call to check he gone away on holiday for most likely a few weeks. I was passed onto another in the office who supposedly has ordered what I asked for. It should have been a few days to get them in but I have a nagging suspicion that they are waiting for him to come back in order to give me what I've ordered. In the mean time I have a leg that is painful and another that is falling apart (and has a new crack in it). I can blame him for taking holidays, I'd want him to but the timing really didn't work in my favor.
Rant over.

By the way, I found out what the squeaking is I think. The foot is molded from carbon fibre. At the back of the foot, the foot touches the outer rubber cosmetic covering. Initially there was a tough canvas sock over that the foot but the rubbing against the rubber foot has worn through it. So now the carbon fibre when it makes contact with the rubber foot gives a loud squeak. I was able to stuff some cloth between the two but it get gets pushed out by the motion of walking. At least I know what the problem is...

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
Re: Brief Rant
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 07:43:40 PM »
Steve, This is the right place to rant!  We have all had hassles like this so you are talking to a sympathetic crowd. It's amazing how the smallest things (ie squeaks) can drive us to distraction! I don't think most people realize how things like socks can cause such problems.   I hope things get better. annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 08:43:40 PM »
Hi Steve - sorry to hear of the troubles you are having with your leg. A few times over the years my prosthetic foot developed a squeak. It bothered me that others could hear me walking. Both times my prosthetist took the leg into their shop and brought it back a half hour or so later without the squeak. I never asked what they did.

It really sounds like you need a whole new leg top to bottom. Grinding out the inside of your socket sounds like an awful idea.

On a personal note, I am recovering from getting my shoulder rebuilt and went swimming in the lake for the first time this season. Doing power strokes with only one arm took some getting used to. My doctor says I am about 25% strength on the repaired shoulder. It has been hard getting my leg off with one hand as I have pretty a pretty tight fit and a long suction socket.
Be Well
Herb

Herb

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 05:29:23 PM »
Steve, you hit the nail on the head on the squecky foot, had the same thing happen to me and they told me the very same thing that you did, had new cover put on and it quit making noise, and as for your RANT, this is the place to do it and by all means get it off your chest, it does help, i know cause i have done it may time my self on other web site that i go into.

starting the 26, they start making me a new set of sockets, have droped from 235 down to 215, and am up to 15 ply worth of sock on both legs.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 11:01:37 AM »
Hi Steve, the sock is an important part of the build and should be there for preventing the carbon spring wearing away the foot shell as well as preventing noise. Also, it should be greased, so maybe wrapping the sock the other way up (or better still getting a new one) would help, but with the right type of grease, maybe one with silicone in it may stop... grease the inside of the foot shell and the outside of the sock... when reassembling.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 02:52:44 PM »
They replaced the sock (covering the carbon fiber foot within the cosmetic foot) the last time I was in. It was worn through in four places! I wonder how many times I will have to change that out as I have probably have put maybe 3-4 months use on the leg when it wore through... In time, that can be a lot of worn out socks!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 04:33:58 AM »
They replaced the sock (covering the carbon fiber foot within the cosmetic foot) the last time I was in. It was worn through in four places! I wonder how many times I will have to change that out as I have probably have put maybe 3-4 months use on the leg when it wore through... In time, that can be a lot of worn out socks!

Doesn't sound right does it....

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 06:53:57 PM »
Steve, have a couple of questtions for you on this, one is the foot you are using loose in the shoe that you are using, was wearing a sloopy fitting set of shoes and it wore out the very same sock and on both feet and then i got a pair of shoes that were to tight and the same thing happened agian, so now i have  to be real picky on the type of shoes i wear, havenot had to have them replaced now for over nine months, hopefully i will get a years worth. and i walk up to around 5 to 6 miles on anygiven day.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 06:08:30 AM »
I wear a few different types of shoes with it. It basically depends on what I doing. My everyday shoe is similar to a hill-walking shoe and which I make sure is nice and snug. I do have several 'chelsea boots' type shoes. They slip on and go up a few inches above the ankle. As they don't have laces I can only adjust the tightness with sock thickness.