Author Topic: Genium  (Read 4167 times)

Offline Jeff Jester

• View Profile
Genium
« on: July 27, 2011, 06:17:15 PM »
I have not been on this site for a long time. I have just recently been fitted with the Genium knee. It was the first one fitted to a civilian as these have only been available to the military until now. I spent three days with Otto Bock and the following is what they told me. This knee is in limited release to 5 different countries. Canada will get 6 of these this year. This knee was developed in cooperation with the American, British and Canadian military. The cost for the knee only is a little over $50K.
For the last three years, I have used a PliƩ knee. I found this knee to be good and quite liked it, but it did have a lot of problems and I had it repaired at least 7 times in that time. The manufacturer was good as they always sent a replacement quickly every time. All in all I liked the PliƩ. Now to the point!!!
I have wore this new Genium for a week and in my opinion.... It is fantasic. I have never been so comfortable in the use of a leg. I have now started to walk up stairs leg over leg (and am using muscles for the first time in years). This leg will not cause atrophy but will probably increase muscle mass. In 18 years of being an amp, I have never been so happy with the performance of a leg (and I have always been very easy to please). I do not know what the future will hold and only time will tell, but if this knee continues to perform and is free from problems, I will be a very happy person. By the way, it comes with 6 year warranty which tells me that Otto Bock has a lot of confidence in it.
It does have 6 different settings 2 of which can be set by the foot and all by the remote. You can also adjust (limited) the settings with the remote to suit different circumstances. So only time will tell on it's reliability.
Jeff

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: Genium
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 07:51:08 PM »
Hi Jeff -  I have only heard glowing reports about the Genium knee. Your post did not mention if it is available in the US. Did your insurance pay for the knee?  Do you know when it will be available to everyone? thanks
herb

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:51:09 PM »
Jeff,

I am also wondering if the insurance paid for it and how long have you had it.  You also did not say which Plie you had.  I have had both and I have not had any problems with the Plie2 and I love the ease of having a removable battery and all the other features with less weight.
Thanks

Offline Jeff Jester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 09:47:54 AM »
As far as I know, this knee is now also available in the States. I have private insurance through Bupa in England and I was 100% covered. They did ask my prosthesis for a discount but he said he could not do that and they paid a couple of days later with no more questions. I have put the leg to good use the last few weeks as I am back at work on an offshore drilling rig. Been going up stairs quite easily and am getting better at doing this. Just before I returned to work, I went horseback riding a few times with my daughter and I had a setting which allowed me to the leg stiff at about 3/4 extension which worked really well for keeping my foot in the stirup and controlling the horse in a gallop. Look forward to getting home and testing it on my bike to see if it will hold the weight when I am stopped.

Jeff

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 06:26:04 PM »
Anyone else get a Genium or thinking about it?
Thanks! 
_

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 11:35:04 PM »
Also interested in any feed back, all I have seen is from when it first came out and new users of it. Would like some feedback on durability, what happens if it gets wet, how long does charge last etc?
Thanks you are a great group.

Offline Jeff Jester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 07:53:24 AM »
Over a year and no problems except I learned that you have to disengage the charger from the leg before unplugging it. Power lasts about a week in between charges. Still impressed with its workings.

Jeff

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 04:40:25 PM »
Any more info on it, I have heard that once it is completely charged it needs to be unplugged something to do with battery.  I know some people who have been having issues with how long charge last but I think it has more to do with how much you are doing, you just have to remember to see how much charge left in battery.  One other issue for some it is heavy so if it is hanging off a stool etc, be nice if it was lighter and did not need a remote.  Technology gets better but they need to keep the weight down.
Anyone else with info? Thxs.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 10:26:20 PM »
Any new feed back on Genium or Genium xt or the new clef. Not hearing to much but looking for feedback. Thanks.