Author Topic: article on amputee death after fall from roller coaster  (Read 2274 times)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
article on amputee death after fall from roller coaster
« on: July 09, 2011, 01:46:54 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43692529/ns/us_news-life/

In the comments after this article several people faulted this disabled veteran for getting on a rollercoaster. Some even called him an idiot. These people seem to think that amputees should sit around at home and not try to participate in life. I ride rollercoasters and once I was denied entrance when they saw my prosthesis.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: article on amputee death after fall from roller coaster
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:22:19 AM »
Tragic story. As amputees we owe it to ourselves to live as active a life as we see fit. As far as rollercoasters I wouldn't really be a fan, I never really was. I wonder if amputees are sometimes barred from them as the owners think that amputees can't use their legs (or arms) in such a way as to get the best leverage in order to stay in the car. 

As far as the insults towards him, I find that the internet and its anonymity brings out rudeness (and 'bravery' to be rude) that is well past the norm.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 10:45:30 AM »
Hi Steve

Last summer I took my son to ride on a go cart at a local track. After buying tickets for my son and myself I was refused to get on a go cart because of my prosthesis. I have a no restriction drivers license but they would not let me get on. It had only 2 pedals - brake and accelerator and had a sign saying not to step on both pedals at the same time which meant to me you could easily operate it with one leg.  I was pretty pissed off.
herb

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »
Herb, I've been refused on a roller coaster before because I tried to get on a ride by standing on a disabled line.  Some really fast roller coasters, they don't let you get on it if they realize you are wearing a prosthetic leg. 

So what I would do is just wait on a regular line like everyone else to get on those ultra fast rides. 

But now after reading the article, I am not so sure if I want to get on those ultra fast rides next time I am at the park with my kids.

As far as a go-cart, it's quite dangerous for AK to get on one.  I had crashed really bad on a go-cart once because my prosthetic leg got in the way.

Even when I get on my regular car, I make sure my left leg (prosthetic side) stays clear of the brake.  On a long drive, sometimes your prosthetic leg can shift without you realizing and start touching the brake.  This had happened to me more than once before. 

With our c-leg, echelon foot and a torsion pylon, we even forget sometimes that we are amputees.  But I think it's important that we still take extra caution whenever we do something new.

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 04:22:48 PM »
I disdain the bubble-wrap-the-world mentality in any form. Life has risks, and as individuals it's up to each of us to evaluate those risks on a personal basis. I've been a fan of coasters and such for a long time, and I've ridden plenty of them both with and without my prosthesis. I evaluated each one on its own merits and never felt I was in any real danger. Seriously, if a safety restraint system depends on mechanically capturing a body part, and that part's a prosthetic, and it has a tendency to come loose on its own...well, duh!

I reiterate, risks must be evaluated on a PERSONAL basis. For example, while driving, my prosthesis has no tendency to interfere with the pedals, it actually tends to stick to the far side of the footwell, away from the controls. So for me to evaluate that particular risk the same way Genki does would be foolish.

That said, I think the roller coaster guy made the wrong decision (unless he really meant to go out with a splash, so to speak), but there's nothing that anyone else could do about that.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 05:22:49 PM »
as much as i distain this from happening it dose, for one reason if you push the issue and that is LIBILITY INSURANCE, most insurance companies will write in a cluase prohibiting them from letting you ride the roller coaster or the go-carts, because they are afraid that if something happens you will sue the hell out of them, and that at time if you won, they would almost have togo out of bussiness.
you-all have a great day.

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 10:03:13 PM »
People should be able to do what they want, but they need to use their brain!

This guy had no lap because he was a double AK.  The only thing holding him in the ride was a bar over his lap.  Which he didn't have.  So he was stupid for going on this ride with the safety equipment on this ride.

Do what you want, but be responsible for what you do.

Just my 2 cents.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 08:00:12 PM »
Hi Jason

this guy had half a lap because he was a below the knee amputee on one side. He did have both arms to hold on with. Maybe he was not holding on. If his arms were not strong than maybe he could have worn a light weight climbing harness and used a safety lanyard. I go zip lining at ski areas and they make you wear a harness that allows you to let go with your hands and safely hang upside down.
Herb