Author Topic: Squeaky foot  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Squeaky foot
« on: June 28, 2011, 08:45:29 PM »
I have a Freedom Innovations Sierra as my foot. The thing is making a brutal squeak with every step. It makes it with the shoe on and off so it must be within the rubber foot covering. Does anyone know of a way I can I can fix this?

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline uScott

• View Profile
Re: Squeaky foot
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 03:21:15 PM »
Dust a bit of talcum powder into the foot shell.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 06:22:03 PM »
Sorry to contradict you, but talc is an abrasive believe it or not, and should be kept as far away from any artificial limb as possible

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 05:55:42 PM »
Hi Steve have you tried any no seize or lithium grease? How are you doing with that new pony? We have plenty of rain so our pasyure is growing faster than they are eating the grass. I save a lot of work and money when I do not have to feed hay.
be well
herb

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 07:09:22 AM »
I haven't tried anything yet Herb. My problem is I don't even know where its squeaking and if its on the inside, how do I get to it?

The ponies (I got one more for company) are doing fine I think. The rescue horse is about the same. I've been advised to have her trail a bit of rope to make it easier to catch her. Even though she's broken, she nervous. The new pony did have a rope trailing but she somehow untied the knot.
I got the second pony as the only way I could sell my jack is in trade for a pony. No one wants to buy a male donkey on his own. You can't even give them away. Unfortunately, the horse trader I got the second pony from keeps them in commonage. Suffice to say she's fairly wild. I think she's been handled before as she ate out of the bucket once at my house and walks on the rope fine. She appears to be some sort of connemara pony / shetland mix. A lot larger than the first one and big boned.
On her first day here I was advised to keep her in the shed (with a half door) for a day to get her used to me. She was doing great. I was petting her through the door when she decided to jump over the half door. She broke the top of the door frame when she got stuck a third of the way out and then ripped the half door off its hinges and flung it into the shed with her front legs. She surprisingly stayed in the shed while I repaired the door. She's in the field with the rescue horse now and I'm trying to build some trust with the both of them. They eat out of my hand which I guess is a start.

On the left is 'Stoirm' (pronounced 'Sted-em') which means Storm in Irish/gaelige
On the right is the skinny pony 'Púcán' (pronounced 'Poo-khan'). Which is a type of small Irish boat.

Púcán on her first day in my front yard. She had been kept in a small pen, she's all cleaned up now.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 10:15:25 PM »
I had a co-worker come up to me in the men's room and tell me the squeak in my foot was annoying the whole office and I should "do something" about it.  I didn't even know this guy's name!

I'm on my 3rd squeaky foot.  One of them we replaced all kinds of parts, foot shell, etc.  Nothing fixed it long term.  We even replaced the whole foot twice.  Not every step squeaked, but many of them did.  Got a new foot (reflex VSP) and it only squeaked sometimes.  The current foot (Soleus) squeaks randomly.

I've sprayed in silicone lubricants.  Replaced the sock INSIDE the foot shell.  Used talc.  Replaced parts.  Nothing seems to be a guaranteed answer.  Sometimes it means the sock between the foot shell and the shoe has a hole.  Sometimes the foot is wet.

So it's not just a problem for you.  It's plagued me for years now.  Randomly!

Let me know if you find a permanent solution.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 09:09:39 AM »
My experience is if the foot gets wet it WILL squeak... not sure there's anything you can do about that except try and stay out of puddles!

Most often I have found that the squeak is coming from the interface between the footwear and the footshell, so it's not the foot at all, but much more simple. I find that an extra sock to pad things out and make the shoe tighter works wonders.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 11:55:41 AM »
I found some holes in the sock that covers the foot inside the cosmetic foot. The rubbing from the carbon fiber against the rubber makes the squeak. I can cram some cloth in there but eventually it just works its way out.

I had a co-worker come up to me in the men's room and tell me the squeak in my foot was annoying the whole office and I should "do something" about it.  I didn't even know this guy's name!

What might have worked there was to insert your foot into the mans backside. That should muffle it.
I never cared for people like that.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 12:16:23 PM »
That man your foot inserted into his mouth.....imagine it would fit!!    :)