Author Topic: Approx cost comparison of Trias, Talux, Runway foot  (Read 2430 times)

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
Approx cost comparison of Trias, Talux, Runway foot
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:04:58 AM »
Hi All, I am just in the process of getting fitted for a new leg, in the past I have had a Talux foot and am presently using an adjustable height foot similar to the runway but I can't remember the name of it.  The foot that my cp had thought was going to be a good foot for me this time around was a Trias foot which I am now using on my test socket.

This Trias feels just wrong to me, I don't feel terribly stable and I hate the noises it makes (mainly just a lot of creeking noises from the rubbing foot shell which is the most unattractive shell I have ever had, the foot seems kind of cheap for lack of better words.
I am just wondering how the price of this foot compares to the price of the other feet I have had? 

That is one of the things that really bothers me about being an amputee, the not knowing whether the prosthetics that I am being offered is really what is the best option for me, I don't know whether I am driving a Pinto or a Porsche haha
I know we must have a great degree of faith in our cp's to know what equipment will work for us but frankly I guess I like to shop and make the decision after weighing up all the pro's and con's etc.  It kind of feels like going car shopping and having the salesman tell me that this is the car you're getting because I have decided it is the best model for you.

My cp has told me that I don't have to take the Trias, but he probably won't be too thrilled with me if I want to try something else as he will have to order it in.  I have been reading some great comments on another forum re the Echelon from Endolite but also hear that it is expensive which I don't know if my Alberta Health Care insurance would cover.

Would be interested in hearing if anyone else has any other suggestions, I am a female rbka with a fairly short stump, 200 lbs, active, I would like a foot that doesn't need to be tweeked and adjusted often as I like to have a cover and skin on it and making adjustments involves pulling off the skin and it never seems to go back on as nice.  I like a fairly light foot and I like a split toe.  We go camping every weekend in the sumer and the roads are all gravel so I like to walk the dog on the gravel roads which are fairly uneven.  Any suggestions on a foot that would meet my requirements would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: Approx cost comparison of Trias, Talux, Runway foot
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 08:54:54 AM »
'anne f'    I know the feeling.  I am using the echelon. and have been wearing it for about a year and a half.  I like it really well...I took it because it walks outside so smoothly.  No bumps when walking in the yard.   It is heavy...and is very expensive. {$7000} if I remember correctly; but a do really like it.    :)

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 11:47:37 PM »
Well today I went for another visit to check up on my test socket, we ditched the Trias and I am now trying the Vari Flex by Ossur, and I am liking it better, unfortunately it does not come with a split toe.  I know that should not be a deal breaker and I wouldn't refuse a foot because the lack of one, it was just on my wish list.  I feel it makes the foot look a little more natural when wearing sandals.  I did mention that I would love to try an Echelon by Endolite and my cp said he would look into it but that it was not on my health insurance schedule - no doubt due to the high price, lol

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:52:06 PM »
You are probably correct!       :)