Author Topic: My Insurance  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
My Insurance
« on: May 10, 2011, 02:56:12 PM »
Thank God I have good insurance. Had Kaiser before which always directed me to Hanger and I had to pay 20%

Moved to Cigna, no - copay, hope that continues.
Thanks! 
_

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
Re: My Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 06:47:13 PM »
If your insurance insists you go to only one facility I would ask them why?.  Purchasing a prosthesis is not like buying a car, you want to interview the prosthetist, visit the facilities unannounced and meet other patients not only theirs but others  I would also visit websites of the facilities.  A prosthesis is an intimate part of your body and just like a surgeon you have the right to pick.  If you are forced to go somewhere else and not happy with the results, do not sign the papers or accept the leg and call your insurance to let them know it is not satisfactory.  If more people would do this then insurance companies would not be able to force you to one company.  What may be right for you may not be right for the other person.

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 01:41:21 PM »
New year, new insurance, and my prosthetist is on the list of "In-Network". Aetna 100% coverage.  :) Looking forward to a new leg.
Thanks! 
_

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 06:30:13 PM »
You should talk to your insurance provider and asks them what happens if they cannot make a product that fits and does not hurt?  I have a friend who after she went to her insurances provider and she could not wear the leg, they did not pay and later the insurance changed and allowed patients to picka practioner (patients could choose), We all have to fight more for equality.  You have to be carefull of who is owned by whom, you could get sent by a rehab provider to a prosthetic provider all owned under the same umbrella.  Hard to find out though.
Fight for yours and our rights. Good Luck :)

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 07:34:23 PM »
You should talk to your insurance provider and asks them what happens if they cannot make a product that fits and does not hurt?  I have a friend who after she went to her insurances provider and she could not wear the leg, they did not pay and later the insurance changed and allowed patients to picka practioner (patients could choose), We all have to fight more for equality.  You have to be carefull of who is owned by whom, you could get sent by a rehab provider to a prosthetic provider all owned under the same umbrella.  Hard to find out though.
Fight for yours and our rights. Good Luck :)

That's good advice, I agree 100%. Wish I would have know that years ago. My current prosthetist is awesome. He says I may be approve for a Genium. I think I may try to get one. Worst case scenario, I get another C-Leg.  ;)
Thanks! 
_

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 11:40:32 PM »
I agree completely, do not pay if not satisfied, it is the only language that seems to be understood. Our legs are like cars as we need the to get around, it is not some appliance. If you got a cd that did not work you would take it back why should we settle for anything but the best in fit and comfort, surgeons have to be prefect all the time or they get sued.
More amputees need to fight for a good prosthetist even if not in net work, I know others who after having a leg made by in network that was horrible and fought the insurance to not pay and then they let them go where they wanted.
Keep fighting!