OPINIONS REGARDING PROSTHETICS > In my opinion

Prosthetic vs the real thing

(1/1)

Ronan:
In my opinion, we will never see a knee/foot combination that can replace the real thing. I love my C-leg but I think we are still worlds apart from something that can replace a real leg. Bummer.

In my opinion alignment is crucial.

In my opinion socket fitment is crucial.

In my opinion you better watch your weight or your leg will get to tight and hurt.

In my opinion 20% deductible can still be a WHOLE LOT of $$$.  :o

In my opinion thank God I always had insurance.

In my opinion, no matter how much I pay a month for insurance, I'll never pay them back for all the money they have spent on me.   ;)

In my opinion regular crutches are better than the shorter "wrist crutches".

In my opinion you better keep some good tips on your crutches.

In my opinion MCP knees are the best! (as long as water isn't involved)

uScott:

--- Quote from: Ronan on May 09, 2011, 02:10:06 PM ---In my opinion, we will never see a knee/foot combination that can replace the real thing. I love my C-leg but I think we are still worlds apart from something that can replace a real leg. Bummer.
--- End quote ---

Never say never, the technology is being constantly improved. You're a fan of computer-controlled knees, where were they 20 years ago? Where were hydraulic knees 80 years ago? Where was socket technology 500 years ago? The days of amputees being lucky to get around on a home-made crutch is within written history; today the technology enables amputee athletes to perform nearly on par with able bodied competitors. I'd say that's progress! Who's to say what they'll have in another hundred years?

--- Quote ---In my opinion you better watch your weight or your leg will get to tight and hurt.
--- End quote ---

Or it'll get loose and fall off. One of the most annoying complications of trying to slim down a bit.

--- Quote ---In my opinion regular crutches are better than the shorter "wrist crutches".
--- End quote ---

Definitely disagree here, I've used both and will take the forearm type every time. Also, good quality, custom fit crutches are worth the cost no matter what style you like.

--- Quote ---In my opinion you better keep some good tips on your crutches.
--- End quote ---

Tips and grips both. See "quality", above. I've had terrible experiences with cheap drugstore crutch tips. I had one blow apart within five steps of installing it, several self-destructed within a day, the best would last maybe a week or two. And you can't trust them, you're forever paranoid about finding a wet spot on a tile floor. Didn't take me long to figure out that a $50 set of tips was a real bargain, when they stick like glue and take years to wear out.

--- Quote ---In my opinion MCP knees are the best! (as long as water isn't involved)
--- End quote ---

I want to like computerized knees, I do. One manufacturer was showing theirs off at my CP's office, I got to try one for a short while, it wasn't bad. Then their paid model was demonstrating walking downhill when his leg lost a strain gauge and sent him for a nice tumble. Not a confidence-building moment. And the recharging, and the factory service interval, and the paranoia about keeping it clean and dry...I dunno, I have an open mind, I'm hopeful, but I don't think they're ready for me yet.

Dolphin:
Just a few comments,
I do think weight is crucial, slimming down will help you get along better and be healthier.  I do not know if you wear socks but as you are losing weight you could add more socks.  I also think that if you talk to your prosthetist, they would be willing to work with you to get to a healthier state.  I will admit the key to stay in a good fit is staying within 5 lbs either way.  But if you want to lose weight that would be awesome and actually the new socket should be covered due to residual limb changes.

Also as far as MPC knees go, I do not have to plug in (and mind you I have two to worry about), mine run on batteries "the Freedom Plie'2"  also they are water resistant so I do not have to worry about the sprinklers or rain.  Read my posting under MPC knees.

If you any other questions post and Ill try to help.  Been through lost of bad times to get prosthesis that are awesome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version