Author Topic: article on nerve controlled prosthetic leg  (Read 3070 times)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: article on nerve controlled prosthetic leg
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 06:51:45 PM »
herb, outstanding article, but i doupt that i or you will ever see it come to life, am not trying to down play, but if it does come about the AMA and the FDA will test it to death before they will aprove it for the general public.
They are making great strides on some of this equipment, but have read about it and then the FDA gets ahold of it and you never hear or see anything about it.
you-all have a great day.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 09:29:58 PM »
Hi Jack
I hope you are not right about this technology. It is being sponsored by the army, so I think that if they start using it on military amputees it will become available to civilians eventually.

be well
Hope you are keeping your fingers away from saw blades.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 07:07:49 AM »
Interesting. If they can make this work then I wonder (if in time) if that they can make something for BKA's to control an ankle!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 09:45:06 AM »
Hi Steve - they are already doing similar work with arm amputees to make a functional hand. Ankles should not be as difficult. A controlled power ankle would be even more useful for above knee amputees.

On another topic here is an example about how little doctors understand amputees. I am going to have surgery in a few days to get a rotator cuff repaired. The surgeon said I would not be able to use my arm to get into the shower for 6 weeks. I normally go into the shower on crutches and help balance myself with one arm on the wall of the shower.He told me I would just have to take baths for that period. It is far more difficult and requires use of both arms to get into and out of a bath tub. Even with 2 good arms, I find it difficult to bath in a tub so I usually shower. I am going to have a difficult time for the next 2 months doing everything since I depend so much on my arms.
Herb

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 11:25:48 AM »

Herb, I am seriously thinking about having a walk in bayhtub with jets and shower {all contained in} this unit.   ;)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 12:30:25 PM »
Hi Steve - they are already doing similar work with arm amputees to make a functional hand. Ankles should not be as difficult. A controlled power ankle would be even more useful for above knee amputees.

On another topic here is an example about how little doctors understand amputees. I am going to have surgery in a few days to get a rotator cuff repaired. The surgeon said I would not be able to use my arm to get into the shower for 6 weeks. I normally go into the shower on crutches and help balance myself with one arm on the wall of the shower.He told me I would just have to take baths for that period. It is far more difficult and requires use of both arms to get into and out of a bath tub. Even with 2 good arms, I find it difficult to bath in a tub so I usually shower. I am going to have a difficult time for the next 2 months doing everything since I depend so much on my arms.
Herb

You may look into a bath chair. You can get them that swivel as well (I have one that has two cross bars that rests on the top of the tub. The seat is bolted onto these bars) . You can walk to the bath with the leg on, turn the chair facing out, sit down, take the leg off, and swivel into the path of the water. Easy peasy.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 06:08:30 PM »
Herb, I use a bath chair.  I use the leg to get to the tub, sit on the chair and take the leg off.  I also have a hand shower that detaches from the wall.  It' might be hard for you to use this if you only have the use of one hand.  I hope your surgery goes well.  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 09:00:17 PM »
Hi Ann - the walk in bathtub sounds like a good idea. I am used to filling the tub before getting in. I saw one on display at a home show last year. It was quite expensive and I think I would always worry that it would start leaking.
Herb

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 09:03:22 PM »
Hi Steve - the swivel chair sounds like a great idea. It would be very secure unlike the plastic chairs I have seen other amputees using. I will try to find one. thanks, herb

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 09:11:10 PM »
Hi Annieg
I have always enjoyed my standup showers but I am going to have to look into using a chair now. Thanks for the well wishes on my surgery. I am going to have to wear a large bulky sling that totally immobilizes my arm 24 hours a day for 3-4 weeks and can not even take it off to shower. They want me to sleep in a chair for the first 2 weeks. I am not looking forward to the recovery period.
Herb

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 08:24:16 AM »
Heres what my chair looks like. The lever on the left locks the chair in place. I've had mine for 10 years and it works like a charm. The link is to the company that sells them (they're in Australia but I'm sure you can find something like it in America).
http://www.rolandpriestley.com.au/content_common/pr-bathroom--toilet_swivelbathchairecb17.seo

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
Thanks Steve - I will buy one
Herb