Author Topic: Hi from new user  (Read 2586 times)

Offline eL-biker

• View Profile
Hi from new user
« on: March 19, 2011, 11:49:55 AM »
My name is Esther, I've been a B/K amputee since 1970 (trauma).

Now that I'm middle-aged, I've taken up bicycling to fend off type 2 diabetes.
I live in the U.S.

I tried the pin-type of suspension a few years back, but my residual limb is rather bony, being from a childhood amputation. The pin-type suspension is not comfortable for my small limb, and I'm back to suspension sleeve.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
Re: Hi from new user
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 12:16:57 PM »
Welcome Esther.  Good luck with your biking.  I'm an older woman who had my amp about 13 yrs ago.  How do you hold your foot on the pedal?  I use the pin system and it works well for me.  I'm not very athletic and I have a sit down job. annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:28:14 AM »
My name is Esther, I've been a B/K amputee since 1970 (trauma).

Now that I'm middle-aged, I've taken up bicycling to fend off type 2 diabetes.
I live in the U.S.

I tried the pin-type of suspension a few years back, but my residual limb is rather bony, being from a childhood amputation. The pin-type suspension is not comfortable for my small limb, and I'm back to suspension sleeve.

Hi Esther,

I am Annie and I became an amputee in 1970 also, and am probably now also middle aged <grin>.  I am bilateral and had one of my residuals re-done a couple of years ago, which now makes fitting a prosthesis on that side easier, but am currently having problems with the other side.  Like you say yours is, the residule limb is quite bony.  I can't tolerate the pin-type suspension at all so always wear a suspension sleeve, but have spent numerous appointments over the past year trying to get a new prosthesis makes that I can walk in comfortably, and doesn't cause more problems than the current one, which I was told needs replacing, I am wearing.

Good luck with the bicycling, I use the exercise bike in the gym and find am limited due to sweating with the liner, but find its a really good all body workout.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 06:38:10 PM »
HI,

Welcome, I am not a Bk but I do know many that bike even ak's.  A lot of people I know that bike, use Prosthetics and Orthotics associates in central Florida the website is www.poacfl.com.   The pin system can cause a lot of pistioning and requires almost a perfect fitting socket to prevent this, and biking even causes more. A lot of amps I know have a separate prosthesis for biking because the alignment might be different that your walking alignment.
Happy cycling!!!!!