Poll

What type of transmission does you car have?

I drive a automatic
12 (75%)
I drive a manual
3 (18.8%)
I drive a modified manual (servo clutch etc)
0 (0%)
I ride a modified motorcycle (three wheeler or sidecar)
1 (6.3%)
I ride a motorcycle (two wheeler)
0 (0%)
I don't drive
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Cars... Manual, automatic, or modification?  (Read 4482 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Cars... Manual, automatic, or modification?
« on: February 23, 2011, 09:06:47 AM »
I was just curious to what sort of cars people were driving.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: Cars... Manual, automatic, or modification?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:37:37 PM »
Hi Steve - is there any way to choose more than one in your poll? I have both manual and automatics. I also drive tractors, four wheelers, and snowmobiles. I bought some new tires today and was a little pressed for time and was worried about waiting for hours as has happened in the past.
I was the only customer at this huge tire business. The mechanic told me  business has been dead all winter. I hope your economy in Ireland is doing better than ours.
Be Well,
Herb

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 04:54:14 PM »
My daily driver is an automatic, always has been, very common in the USA. I learned on a standard, but haven't tried to drive one since I lost my leg (left AK). I think I could if I tried, I just haven't had or made the opportunity.

I also ride a motorcycle (two-wheeler), but I added a power shifter for push-button gear changes. Also my wife's scooter, which is clutchless/CVT and all hand controls anyway.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:57:27 AM »
I never even thought to add all the other types of vehicles. The poll is pretty basic, when I made up the poll I also forgot to check the 'vote more than once' button. I tried to change it but I can't. Maybe I'll just make a new poll!

I've thought about getting a motorcycle with sidecar. I've always liked them and figured they'd be handy in that I don't have to hold it up with the leg.

I bought my Defender 4 new tyres a few months ago. They set me back a few euro! With the icy winters here in Ireland (that we hear will become the norm from now on) I may need to invest in studded snow tyres. Hopefully they'll help with the icy roads. Ireland wouldn't be used to the ice for the most part so if even in the middle of winter if you need snow tyres, you have to special order them.

Ireland is still reeling with our economy. We've had a bailout from the EU which we'll be paying for for years to come. Tomorrow is the new election http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_general_election,_2011.
Myself, things are very quiet. The illustration work has dried up so I do a bit of tv/film work as a extra to help out. I'm half thinking of changing professions but at 48 (not that old but I don't really fancy going back to school even if I knew what I wanted to do or could do) it can de daunting to start a new career.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 04:08:38 PM »
I've thought about getting a motorcycle with sidecar. I've always liked them and figured they'd be handy in that I don't have to hold it up with the leg.

I rode motorcycles for years and years before my amputation, and to me personally it's not really motorcycling if you're not leaning through the corners. Driving through a long sweeping curve with the world atilt and one footpeg just kissing the asphalt (or about thirty of them, one after the next), that'll put a grin on my face for the rest of the day. But I was an experienced rider when I lost my leg, and after some thought I had a clear idea of how to safely get back on one. Learning to ride ab initio as an amputee? I can see where that would be more challenging, there's a lot going on and you have an additional difficulty factor that your instructor probably doesn't know how to handle.

I've known folks with sidecar rigs, and they love them very much. Same with folks riding trikes. To me they seem less fun and harder to park, maybe more practical elsewise? Anything that gets your knees in the breeze can't be all bad. I've met a couple of folks riding a Can-Am Spyder (link), and again there's much love there (and I think the Spyder is more stable than either a trike or a sidecar).

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:44:47 PM »
How about a modified automatic?  I have a left foot gas pedal.  It's removable so others can drive it.  I forget it sometimes and the look on valets or mechanics faces when they get in and see it is priceless!  Steve, I live in New England and it has been so icy this year that has kept me inside a lot more than I like.  Hope everyone is well.  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 09:19:47 PM »
uScott-

I always liked the vintage look on bikes. This yoke is right up my alley.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 06:45:11 PM »
Steve, I don't think one of your donkeys will fit in that side car  :o ;D :o ;D ;D

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 02:22:48 PM »
Steve, I don't think one of your donkeys will fit in that side car

That's what the tow rope is for.   :P

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 05:37:21 PM »
Starting on JUNE 27 of this year this old  boy and his wife are leaving for a road trip and i am duing all of the driving we leave jacksonville tx to BELLE FOURCHE, SD for the four of july aand my 50 th class reunion, and then to LAS VEGAS for two days to visit relitives and friend we know that live in vagas and they on to FONTANA, CALIF. where my youngest daughterr lives and two of my grandsons and our greatgrand daughters which one of them we have not seen, will spend a week there, see all of our old friends and old nieghbors, in FONTANA, NORWALK AND LYNWOOD CALIF. Then on down to good old SAN DIEGO, CALIF to see more family and friends and possibly take the tour aboard the USS MIDWAY, for i know a person that works on her. and we know other people that live there through other web sites. And i do have controls installed on my car, for i dont us my legs what so ever when i drive, and would not be with out them, cause i have found that it is more comfortable to take my legs off and place pillows under my stumps, have been able to make over 500 miles in a day driving like that, oh it is a mess when having to make a pit stop and have to put my legs back on, but you should see some of the look i get when i pop my legs out side the drivers side door and step into them and walk into the store or am filling up the car with gas. Also have been looking in to a  HARLEY TRI BIKE, but they are out of my price range right now.
you-all have a great day.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 10:15:46 PM »
That will be quite a trip....Bet U and wife will have a great time.   :)

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 12:51:47 AM »
The car is a Subaru Impreza automatic with hand controls. The Harley trike has a Kliktronic shifter which allows me to up and down shift with my left thumb. I still pull in the clutch lever but the electronic shifter does what the left foot would do. I can't praise Kliktronic's customer service enough. If you are below knee on the left side, the kliktronic unit would work nicely on the sidecar! Cheers. David.
pin-hi

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 08:37:43 AM »

I agree. The bike: is a ex-chinese army bike that has been refurbished after China sold them off. From what I understand I would actually need the donkey and that tow rope!

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 02:51:59 PM »

I agree. The bike: is a ex-chinese army bike that has been refurbished after China sold them off. From what I understand I would actually need the donkey and that tow rope!

Good gravy! I'd go for an old Ural sidecar rig before I'd think twice about an old Chinese army bike. I mean, not sayin', just sayin' that China is not what springs to mind when you think about reliable, well-made motorcycles....

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 04:10:39 PM »

Good gravy! I'd go for an old Ural sidecar rig before I'd think twice about an old Chinese army bike. I mean, not sayin', just sayin' that China is not what springs to mind when you think about reliable, well-made motorcycles....

I found it on eBay. I went onto their sellers page and found this as well. It had me laughing.  :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Solo-bike-Australia-trouble-comes-really-headache-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3361028366QQitemZ220670886758QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_565wt_941