Author Topic: David in Canada  (Read 3322 times)

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
David in Canada
« on: February 22, 2011, 10:43:26 AM »
Wow! This forum seems to have pretty much ground to a halt! Where's Joe A. and all the others that used to post here? Just wondering...
pin-hi

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: David in Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 01:39:48 PM »
pin hi, have been under the weather(broncities) and have been real busy on one of the other sites that i am involved with, if you are ex-service person come in and join us here it is         www.fromthehalls.com      and remember the word   footprints
you-all have a great day.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 08:54:54 AM »
Nice bike David.

Yeah, things have gotten quiet alright. I don't know where they all went to. Haven't heard from Joe for ages. Hopefully he'll drop in for a visit. The worse thing is when it gets quiet people may wander off to other sites. This is the only amp site I go to. Maybe they'll wander back.

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:03:17 PM »
I'm here, I just haven't got anything useful to say  ;D

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 08:48:14 PM »
We're all still here.  Computer problems and a long, depressing winter - snow, snow and more snow and then ice.  I'm not interested in any other site.  This one always feels comfortable and welcoming.  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 06:40:33 PM »
I'm here....can't find anyone to tease.  Will have to agree it has been a LONG winter. ;)

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 12:15:58 AM »
I like to check in on this site every couple of weeks and I also have noticed that it has been quiet.  Still this is the only site that I ever post in, always seem to get the answers  I need.  I often think of Joe A , the last posts from him he wasn't doing well.  I sure miss his posts and hope that he is alright. 

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 07:29:51 AM »
I check in all the time. Its just part of my morning routine. With summer nearly here it could be that people are out and about and not online as much. (which is actually a good thing) Maybe though, if people are now getting active they can share that as well.

Myself, things are quiet. I work as a illustrator and I am basically working on my portfolio / paintings for exhibition until (hopefully) commissions come in. They usually do. Cross your fingers. I often think I should maybe start a new career. The art world in this economic climate is not the place to make your millions. But then, training for a new career at this time in my life (I'm 48) seems a bit daunting.

I recently emailed a casting agent who was casting for the new Clive Owen film soon to be shooting in Dublin. I forget the entire plot but it involves a love story with one of them involved in the IRA here in Ireland. When I heard the plot I pictured pure action so I put myself forward as a experienced film extra that 'disassembles' on cue. Perfect for any bomb explosion scenes in action films. It would be good to get it. The last 'blockbuster film' I did was also a Clive Owen film, 'King Arthur'. My initial scene was where I was to be attacked by Clive Owen himself. I was well chuffed but that said it never came to be. I wasn't actually used even though I was in full costume for 5 weeks on set in Wicklow, Ireland. The producers were worried about too much blood and gore and losing the PG-13/R rating and cut my scenes. Maybe it was for the best, the film was panned by the critics. (of course maybe that was because I wasn't in it! Thats what I tell myself anyway...)
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 08:45:43 AM »

I am working on my Koi pond...BUT...its been raining just almost every day here in Ohio.  Steve did you ever get that new leg fixed so you could wear it?  I need to call and order a new liner.  Hope it won't take along time to get it...old one is getting pretty bad, but cant complain...its almost a year old.

Getting ready to watch the last rocket launch...hope it goes smoothly.  I, too worry about Joe.  He was having alot of trouble with loosing his fingers...I think its from his diabetes.   AND BTW how's the love life????  You are only {48} and you really need some companion around...you can't just talk to your animals.  ;)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 10:57:14 AM »
Have fun with the koi pond.

The leg was never fixed but I'm going in this week. I had to have him order 2 new gel socks and a suspension sleeve to hold me through. The one he got me last a few months at best.
Its odd, the new leg can be great but I can't seem to be able to do one thing for very long. If I sit too long, stand too long, walk too long etc it hurts. If I vary what I do every 10-15 minutes it seems ok. That said, I can't picture building my life around 15 minute intervals.

The love life is a chore. I have met a good few lovelies but I can meet to find the right chemistry with them and I keep looking.  :-[

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 02:12:29 AM »
I posted a long text reply to your post Steve and attached a picture, which was too large, and the forum dumped all the text I had typed. Twice!!!

In a nutshell, I said I had enjoyed your art work on the old forum.

I talked about a casting call that went out for amputees to role play on a Canadian Armed forces base. I applied for the gig, passed the security clearance, but the casting director missed her deadline and I don't even know if the thing ever happened. It was to help the troops deal with the trauma of finding bombed villagers etc. in an war type setting. I would have been traveling to Wainwright, Alberta to the Armed Forces base there if it had come through.

I'm detailing motorcycles, part time, as a retirement job. I love it. www.gleaminhawgs.com There's a link to a facebook page with pics of the bikes I've tarted up if you'd like to have a look.

I've been busy co-chairing the upcoming B.C. Amputee open golf tournament coming up in Vancouver in July. www.bcaga.com

Riding the trike lots. My golf game has suffered due to all the riding!

If anyone wants to see the transformation of my motorcycle to a trike, it can be viewed in the "project" section at http://www.phoenixcycle.com/

Well, I've typed this all up 3 times now and I'm pooped! My girlfriend and I have adopted a 12 year old female cat that needed a home. I have a new blue Siamese fighting fish, a male, to replace my red one that died of a swim bladder disorder.

I'm enjoying my new College Park Venture feet I'm wearing, although it did take me a long time to let go of the old legs and wear the new ones full time.

I hope everyone is well, and don't try to attach large pictures to your posts as you will lose everything that you've typed! I'm on facebook a lot if anyone wants to look me up there under David Dobinson.

Cheers. David in Canada.
pin-hi

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 02:23:49 PM »
Wow, it has been quiet here but that's because you are all so busy.  Koi ponds, movie auditions, illustrating books, tarting up motorcycles.  I think this proves there is a life after amputation!  Just look the people in here, they work on their homes, farms, with their animals, etc.  I think the the people here are some of the busiest I know.  I have a quiet desk job but I just got back from a trip to Italy & Switzerland!  Now we know why it's been so quiet in here, LOL.  annieg

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 11:50:16 PM »
'annieg'  I think you have been quite the traveler...hope you had a good time. 

'pin-hi'  Are your fighting siamese fish in a tank?  And how many do you have to have?  Will they kill one another or are you just telling me one.....you see I am a very inquisitive....just ask Steve.  He might even call me {can I say it} nosey.   :o

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 08:32:09 PM »
Ann,  Traveling is my passion!  If I had 2 good legs you'd need a GPS to find me!  LOL  I love to see how other people live.  I work 2 jobs so I can take 1 overseas vacation.  I can't walk long distances so a friend has to push my wheel chair.  You can't imagine the adventures we've had with that. I love to come to this forum and see how everyone is doing.  Ann, good luck with your koi pond.  I'm sure you'll get great joy from it.  We'll have to put our heads together and fix up Steve!  We'll pick a nice young lady for him.  Don't worry Steve I'm only kidding.  annieg

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 05:26:05 PM »

I'm not!!!! ;)