Author Topic: Ordering new sleeves and liners  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Ordering new sleeves and liners
« on: May 29, 2011, 08:09:22 AM »
I am trying to order new sleeves and lines from my limbfitter. It appears that his supplier doesn't have ready access to what I want as he's having a hard time getting them. Can I buy direct from the company or do I always have to order through the limbfitter themselves. I think I remember something about having to have a reseller number or something like that...

Also, the liners I was hoping to get were the Alpha Max (they are the ones I am using now that I got from my old limbfitter years ago) http://www.willowwoodco.com/products-and-services/liners/transtibial/max and the sleeve I was hoping to get was the Alpha Original. Can you suggest another type of sleeve/liner combination that would be just as good?

I have tried a sleeve (I can't see a manufacturer name on it) Its flesh coloured outside with a black inside with a little diamond pattern giving it grip, that I was given as a replacement by the limbfitter while he is fine tuning my 'new' leg. A handy sleeve, while it lasts (which isn't very long)

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Ordering new sleeves and liners
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 08:14:08 AM »
I did a bit more research (which I should have done before posting! I found this on the companies website)

We only sell to certified prosthetists and their facilities because our products require technical and clinical knowledge for accurate selection and patient fitting. We do not sell products directly to amputees.

Damn. I'll write them as it is only for sleeves and liners. Maybe as they are replacements they'll bend the rules...
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 10:29:16 AM »
Hi Steve

I looked into direct buying several years ago and ran into several problems, gut it was doable. For me the biggest problem was payment because the would not accept payment from my insurance company. I have seen prosthetic liners listed on ebay. Try a search there.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=prosthetic+liner&_sacat=0&_sop=1&LH_PayPal=1&_dmd=2&_odkw=c-leg&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1311

Herb

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 12:59:08 AM »
Hmmm, I didn't know that there was such a thing as an Alpha Sleeve, will have to look that up and see what it looks like.  Don't get me started on why they heck we can't buy these products ourselves, it's like they would all of a sudden have to justify why they are charging twelve bucks for a casting sock (which is what my cp calls his 1 ply) there is no way that this 1 ply costs more than 50 cents to manufacture if that.
When you think about it is a form of discrimination to not be able to buy simple supplies like socks and sleeves directly.  If you told all people who suffer from circulatory problems that they have to buy orthotic or compression socks which are handily available at any drug store that they only way that they can buy them is thru their insurance company there would be an uproar.  I think a lot of people don't know what their insurance company is paying out for a simple sock on their behalf, its like as long as it does not come out of their own pocket they don't care and by the manufacturers not allowing the sale directly to the customer people never really get a chance to question the outrageous over pricing.  One of these days I am going to send Alberta Health Care insurance a sample of that cheap cotton tube that they paid twelve bucks for, I wear a pin lock system and the darn sock doesn't even come complete with a hole, I have to cut it myself and then watch it fray >:( 

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 07:09:26 AM »
I've checked eBay and didn't find anything I could use. I'll keep checking back.

It does seem like a bit of a scam. A one hand washes the other in regards to limbfitters and manufacturers. I'm sure they do have a point in that some people will order the wrong thing, wear it, damage themselves and then sue. That said, if it is just a replacement, same for same, then it does seem ridiculous.

My latest on this is that my limbfitter didn't seem able to find the sleeves and liners I needed (but he's close). As the weeks went back and my liners and sleeves became near useless, I eased and told him that something durable will do. He tells me that he was very close to ordering, he'll get back to me in a few days. A week later I email them and he has gone on holiday. I chatted on the phone with the woman at the desk and another limbfitter might be able to see me and try and get something/anything ordered.
My limbfitter mentioned early on that I may have to get my old limbfitter to order what I want. A few weeks ago I emailed them just to see if they could order them. A few weeks later they made a appointment to see me (next week).

So, do I see my current limbfitter and may have to wait? See the old limbfitter and make any time my current limbfitter has invested, wasted?

My plan is to call my current limbfitter today to see when they could see me and have something for me. Call the old limbfitter and ask about delivery dates. Then, decide after hearing what they tell me. 

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »

Steve, are these liners that you use from Willow-wood gray & green in color...I think those are the ones I used for a long time and say Alpha original tapered.  Some of them are beige.  And are they the ones w/pin in bottom?  If so I have some that have alot of use left in them....I think they are a large.

You can have them, as I have no use for them now...I use vacuum.

Let me know.   
 ;)    ann

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 05:16:30 AM »
The liners I need would be the non-pin type. My 'new' leg is pin but the old one (the one for prolonged drives, physical labour etc) is non-pin.

But thanks a million all the same!

By the way my donkeys are gone. I decided it was time for a change and sold the donkeys and bought a pony (and may get a second in the next week). She's a rescue horse of sorts. She was initially rescued by a friend from a horse riding stable that wasn't taking care of her. She was used to teach children to ride horses. She's fierce thin, dirty and a bit nervous. I in turn took her off his hands as he didn't plan to keep her, he just wanted to re-home her. I'm having the vet come by next week, she'll probably need worming and loads of time and feed. She's grazing in my front yard. My donkeys were never so lucky.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »
Steve,  You love to take in strays don't you.  You just got rid of the donkeys and you take in a beat up pony.  You are a soft hearted man! LOL.  Annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 11:22:36 AM »
All I was thinking was to sell my jack. He was being a bit of a nuisance. Then a fella offered to buy 2 of my mares and I sold them, so I had my jack and a mare left. I started thinking out ponies but I didn't want to have my jack around (for obvious reasons) so to sell the jack I had to sell him with the mare, leaving me without any donkeys at all. I heard about this rescue pony and thought I'd give her some TLC. I might get another tomorrow to keep her company.

By the way I found this crowd. http://www.amputeesupplies.com/ You can buy direct (liners, sleeves etc). I wouldn't know the company (so I can't vouch for them) but I may try them. They only ship within the states but I can have them ship to my sister and then to me if I use them.

Anyone use Blatchford liners? How long do they last for you? I seem to wear through in no time at all.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 08:51:21 PM »
By the way I found this crowd. http://www.amputeesupplies.com/ You can buy direct (liners, sleeves etc). I wouldn't know the company (so I can't vouch for them) but I may try them. They only ship within the states but I can have them ship to my sister and then to me if I use them.

It just dawned on me that someone else suggested that site on an earlier post. I  didn't mean to plagiarize...