Author Topic: This will shut down many prosthetic shops  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
This will shut down many prosthetic shops
« on: December 27, 2010, 03:07:59 PM »

As I had discussed few weeks ago, there is a 15 min. stem cell procedure that will prevent amputation of foot due to diabetic ulcer.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-hope-for-saving-diabetic-foot-from-amputation-112436169.html

FDA will fight hard to prevent this procedure from being performed in the U.S.  But FDA can't prevent patients from flying out to Japan or China to receive this procedure.  LOL  The cost of this procedure is under $1,000.00.  Lot less than what it costs to make a socket.

As most amputees in the US & rest of the developed countries are BK amputees who lost their foot from diabetic foot ulcer, this indeed is a really bad news for most prosthetists.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: This will shut down many prosthetic shops
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:45:45 PM »
Looks like it works. (but you may put 'graphic photos' in the title. Some may get a shock...)
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 05:23:18 PM »
just got back from seeing my doc, which has informed that  i am a border line diabetic, and am going to have to start taking pills for it, and we talked about this very same thing and she agrees that the FDA and the AMA, will block it from ever getting into the good old USA.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:17:45 PM »
pegleg, i am sorry to hear that.

One word for you.  stevia.

Stop consuming sugar & any artificial sweetener like splenda.  Splenda is made with choline anyway.  >:(

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 02:35:47 PM »
One word for you.  stevia.

Stop consuming sugar & any artificial sweetener like splenda.  Splenda is made with choline anyway.  >:(

I bet you meant "chlorine".  But have you looked at your table salt lately?  Full of chlorine and sodium, both quite poisonous.  Stevia is made of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen, which are also found in jet fuel and carpet glue.  Chemistry is funny that way.

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 10:49:37 PM »
hahaha.  uScott, please dont muddy the issue.  stevia is naturally growing herb that has 0 calorie & prevents the onset of diabetes.  some studies show it actually reverses the symptom of diabetes. (type II)

if your argument is that artificial stuff is no different than what is grown naturally, i have to disagree. 

FYI, table salt (NaCl) contains Chloride ions but that's not same as chlorine, the stuff you use to bleach & disinfect.  C'on.  Any high school graduate who took Chemistry would know that.  ;D

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 03:34:58 PM »
if your argument is that artificial stuff is no different than what is grown naturally, i have to disagree.

I'll tell you this: just because it's natural doesn't mean it's good, and just because it's artificial doesn't mean it's bad.  Take each thing as it is, and evaluate it on its own merits.

I'm not going to give an opinion about stevia, because I don't know enough about it to speak intelligently.  However, anyone with diabetic risk factors will be doing themselves a favor to decrease their sugar consumption (and simple starches, please) as much as possible, and if artificial sweeteners like sucralose, aspartame or sodium saccharine help to make it bearable...well, then it's a matter of balancing the potential good of the diet changes with the potential bad of the artificial sweeteners.

The potential risks of artificial sweeteners?  That's a whole discussion unto itself, and not without debate.  Take sodium cyclamate, for example; banned in the US for its health risks, yet approved for sale in many other countries.  Stevia itself is still banned in parts of Europe.  There are a lot of contradictory test results, too many for me to form a valid opinion one way or the other about any of these sweeteners.  But I'm pretty confident that a few packets of Splenda in my morning coffee isn't going to be my undoing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 12:06:20 AM »
Looks like it works. (but you may put 'graphic photos' in the title. Some may get a shock...)

SHOCK   :o   is not quite the word for it.....will tell you this;  it looks exactly like my foot did beore it was amputated.  That is almost unbelievable...  !!!!  I am glad they were able to save his leg.

Offline tbrbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 07:35:30 PM »
Sugar in and of itself is not the problem; carbohydrates, or at least an excess of them, is.  Sugar is a carb; many diabetes do an excellent job of controlling their blood sugar levels by controlling the amount of carbs they consume, including sugar (along with a proper diet and exercise).  Now if you want to control or lose weight, then calories is the issue and avoiding or severely limiting the amount of sugar and using other forms of sweeteners may be the way to go.