Author Topic: Sports and Activites Day  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Rikk

• View Profile
Sports and Activites Day
« on: March 21, 2008, 03:40:48 AM »
My limb center is looking to put on a "sports and activities day" during the summer. They've asked me to be there and show/talk about mountain biking and riding in general but what i wanted to ask was what would you guys find useful and helpful.
I wrote this article http://www.uk-mtb.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=51 (which I need to update) and will be having that as a handout with a flyer from my local bike shop who've been amazingly helpful, and wanted to know if there's anything more I could do. I'll obviously be there riding around and answering Q's but would prefure to be prepared.
On a general note, is there anything you'd like to see covered in a day like this as a whole, informational/demo's, etc as I think this is a great opportunity and wouldn't like the limb center to waste it.

Cheers

.............Rikk

Offline Rikk

• View Profile
Re: Sports and Activites Day
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »
Well 50 views and not one comment on what would help or what you'd like to see on a day like this, just carry on enjoying sitting in front of the TV then I guess  ???

Offline ginger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 02:19:41 PM »
Rikk,
   As a semi new amputee, I have not been able to get involved in any sports or activities.  Hard to even get outside with all he snow we have had.  But now that spring is finally around, 50 degrees today, the snow is melting and I hope to get outside and start something, even if its only planting my garden.  I have a bike and hope to be able to ride it soon, although I am a little leary, I am right handed and lost my right leg, so like everything else its gonna take some time to get used to it. 
    I hope that all goes well with your program this summer.  By the way how do i keep my prosthetic from falling off the pedal, yet still be able to use it for balance when I am not riding.

Ginger
AKA 8/07
Ginger Henneberger
38 YO  Strykersville, NY
injury 8/28/02
R AKA 8/07
Still recovering, but doing great

Offline Rikk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 12:24:30 PM »
Check this out I wrote it towards the end of last year http://www.uk-mtb.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=51

I really do need to knuckle down and get it updated as I've changed a lot with pedals and spd clip on shoes.

You'll actually find it easier as the leg you lost is your "handed" leg as you'll naturally want to keep that foot out front when standing on the bike which is quite comfortable, where as having the tin leg as the trailing leg is extremely tiring and uncomfortable.

Offline ginger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 07:44:35 AM »
Rikk,
Great little article.  Thanks.
Ginger
Ginger Henneberger
38 YO  Strykersville, NY
injury 8/28/02
R AKA 8/07
Still recovering, but doing great

snowbear

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 07:56:39 AM »
Sounds great..Thanks for posting. I'm able to ride a bike and peddle circles around my husband who has 2 very strong good legs! :)

snowbear

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 01:07:05 PM »
Iam able to ride a mountian bike!

Offline Rikk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 02:15:40 PM »
Now, this is the bit where you say :-

What your level of amp is
What bike you have
What modifications you've made to help you, on the bike, on your leg, on you, clothing....
How you got started
What helped you getting started
Anything to still overcome
etc
etc

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 02:45:04 PM »
I ride a mountain bike, track bike and a road bike...

Specialized Stumpjumper mountain bike
Fuji Track Pro track bike
Ridley Damocles road bike

I was an avid biker before I had my lower leg amputated.  I do not have any special modifications on my bikes.  I use a clipless pedal system on all 3 bikes.   

For me, the hardest thing was to gain confidence in being able to return to using a clipless pedal system.  I was hesitant at first, so I rode on less travelled roads until I felt confident to ride in heavy traffic and stop lights, etc.  It seems perfectly normal to me again to ride with clipless pedals.  In my opinion, the clipless pedals help keep my power through the stroke and I don't have to worry about my prosthesis slipping off the pedal or coming out of a toe clip.  I haven't tried the rotor crank system but I would love to demo it sometime.
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

snowbear

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 03:07:07 PM »
Yes I have the clipless peddle system on my mountain bike too! I too was a avid mountain bike ride before the amputation even with the leg brace I was able to ride..one of my  enjoyment's I'm still able to enjoy..!.Thanks for the information Rikk!

Offline Cyndi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 01:47:54 PM »
Rikk....I have a bike question for you.  My 7 yr old is a RBK and likes to pedal with his heel.  The only problem with this that his foot will slid off and does not know it.  We got him a toe clip that he just had to slide his toe into and it is not long enough.  Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline Rikk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 02:34:05 AM »
First thing thats springs to mind would be to use something based on this idea :-

http://powergrips.mrpbike.com/pg_benefits.shtml

Does he use the heal on just the tin leg side or both sides?  It would be worth sticking with the toe clip you have and train him to use it otherwise it's going to be a hard habit to break later on and if he keeps it up he'll start hitting his toe on the front wheel as he turns especially when you get him a larger wheeled bike.

Offline Rikk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 02:19:26 AM »
Something else to check out for keeping the feet on the pedals.

http://www.protonlocks.com/