Author Topic: Newbie amputee, have some questions  (Read 12158 times)

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
Re: Newbie amputee, have some questions
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 07:56:46 PM »
it depends upon the person really - each prosthetist will make each socket differently

Firstly, as an above knee amp, you shouldn't be feeling alot of pressure on the end of your stump but because you appear to be on a liner with pin system you will probably feel some pressure there. I'd have a guess at the reason for you feeling that pressure on the end is that the back seat is at an angle rather than a seat (i.e. the bone that should be loaded is probably not been supported enough)

Other thing about the socket is that the inside seems to be cut quite low (but some people like it that way)

Is there any chance of a picture looking down into the socket?

You mentioned the problems with the knees not being level - thats pretty clear why now. its because of a few things; 1) the length of the pin has to be accommodated, 2) that knee has quite a big build height anyway, 3) your stump looks like it could be on the long side.
 - if you were my patient i'd probably have used a knee with a lower build height (e.g. Otto Bock 3R60, ossur Total Knee or Endolite KX06). I'd probably try a different suspension system such as a belt until such a time as you were ready for a suction system (assuming you'd be suitable for a suction system)

Do uou know what foot you have on that leg frey?

Offline Freytheviking

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 09:45:45 PM »

Offline Freytheviking

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 09:46:08 PM »
Once again, sorry for the insanely huge picture guys.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 05:24:18 PM »
From what I hear, Hanger is like the WalMart of prosthetics -p a giant operation with many locations.  Once in awhile I meet a person who has a great prosthetist at Hanger, and swears by them.  But, more often that not, people have less-than-stellar reviews about them.  I've never used them, so it's all hearsay.

But, as anonther reply said, the socket is the key.  Unless it fits properly, it doesn't matter what hardware you attach below it.

Even a decent prosthetist doesn't hit it off with every customer.  Find one that works well with you.

As a new amputee, remember that the stump will shrink alot in the first year or so, and you need several re-fittings and new sockets.
Dick Stevens
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Rodentman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 09:34:34 PM »
Branding everyone who works for a particular company (Hanger) as poor is not fair, nor is it particularly bright. As a BK for 20 years I have seen my share of good and bad. Biggest problem is some CP's have a product they want to push and do not listen.

My Freedom Innovations and Ossur pin suspension system is my latest leg. I've had it for a month and am finally free of socks as well as sores.

The chipmunks are cast into the resin. The other items are removable stickers. No I did not shoot myself in the foot, but I DO have a permit and carry daily. Leg is outstanding.
When an eel bites your thigh like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 09:31:57 PM »
To not so newbie by now amputee.  You need to research and interview prosthetists just like you would if you were employing them. I would also ask about current technology.  As far as length of limb, many knees have adapters that attach the knee that may make it closer to your residual limb, sometimes even a 3/4 in diff can help.  I know as far as microprocessor knees  the Freedom Plie 2 has a knee disartic version which shortens the upper part of your prosthetic limb.  The best advice I can give any amputee is: first the socket has to fit without hurting, if it hurts (and it should not) than that is your first problem. I would never accept a leg when the socket hurts, once the socket does not hurt it is critical that it be aligned correctly. The first question I would ask is, who modifies the cast and when they did the casting did they take into account any bony areas and the need for muscell expansion?   if not you will hit on the bone and have cramps where the muscell cannot expand. Another question I would ask, is  do they fabricate in house or send out to central fab, we are people not cars, if the person that sees you has no part in the rest of the process I have not seen too many successes.  Also it is your responsibility to communicate with your provider so they understand what your problem is, they are not mind readers. I would also document every visit and what they do and I would not sign any authorization of payment unless, you have no pain and you can walk comfortably.  If you are still having issues and they have already billed your insurance then you need to follow up with you insurance provider so that you have the opportunity to go someplace else.
Hope this help, I have gone through this to many times I have learned through the school of hard knocks,  bad way to learn.
By the way I would never wear a quad socket in my life again, not the way the body was designed.
Hope this helps.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 10:55:48 PM »
Rodentman, HANGER out here has a bad repertation of making a socket for you and if it fits halfway desent that is what you get from them, i have been a bi bka since 2002 and have personnally seen some of hangers work and i would not even thing about wearing the crap they make, have had amputee come to me after seeing me walk without any aids what so ever, and want to know where i had mine made, and i tell them and so far just about every one of them has gone to the same place i get mine made, the first time they made them, it took four sets of test sockets to get them so that i would accept them and then they made my carbon fiber socket, that when i pushed my stump in to it, it felt like putting on a clove. the second set they made for only took two sets of test socket and i made them let me wear the test sockets for a week just to make sure it was right. It is possible that there are some hanger, places that do good work, but i have not run into one as of yet.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 06:57:44 PM »
Freytheviking........so how is it going? New socket yet?
Thanks! 
_

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 01:08:02 AM »
Could we get some bigger pictures of that socket? lol! Let us know how you're making out.
pin-hi

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 07:34:35 AM »
Hi David - great looking trike.
I see you live in Victoria. I get out there once a year or so when I visit my son/family in Seattle. I was amazed at all the flowers in bloom in Victoria in February while we in NH are still in the middle of winter.
Herb

Offline Freytheviking

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 01:13:08 PM »
There are two many good prosthetists around DC/MD area that I don't think it's fair to name anyone individually.

Look for MAS certified prosthetist.  What's MAS? http://www.oandp.com/articles/2004-06_03.asp  If anyone is MAS certified, unlike Hanger idiots, that means at least they know how to make sockets. LOL

Also, if you are looking for the absolutely the best prosthetist in the nation, I don't want to name names but lookup & see who is servicing Walter Reed.  :D 

If you are living anywhere near DC/MD area, you gotta be brain dead going to Hanger.  Hanger is like McDonalds of restaurants, except lot worse. LOL

Lastly, there is a recently patented connector part that allows you to have even knee length.  The part was developed & patented by a prosthetist in Maryland.  I can't remember his name now but your prosthetist should know about it.

In the meanwhile, really focus on that short step drill everyday. ^^  Good Luck.

I finally got my new prosthetic... too forever for insurance to approve for the new one. I'll post pics later. BTW what is the short step drill exactly?

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »
I NEVER HEARD OF THE SHORT STEP DRILL EITHER....     :)

Offline Freytheviking

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 08:47:08 PM »

not kidding lol... what is it?

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 07:42:20 AM »

not kidding lol... what is it?

If I had to guess... I'd say it means to take small steps toward your goal. The drill part coming from the military term for maneuver or exercise. "instruction or training in military exercises : parade-ground drill."
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 10:07:44 AM »
One cannot tell from that photo whether it is right for you Freytheviking, don't get online unqualified advice on fitting; you'd do better to get a good relationship with a good Prosthetist.