Author Topic: just signed back up been awhile  (Read 1700 times)

Offline jmoore

• View Profile
just signed back up been awhile
« on: December 01, 2010, 07:30:17 PM »
hey pegleg jack how you been its been awhile seen a few other names on hear i have not talked to in awhile just been living the one legged dream lol well not really its been 3 and a half years now and they could not keep me in a socket more then 4 months kind of wears on after awhile to live at the leg guy office well finally had enough of the bs i leave saturday to go to stan petterson in orlando can not wait has any one else been to him or heard good things everything i read and saw about him sounds great well hi to everyone that i have not talk to in awhile hope you all had a great turkey day have a good one 8)
some days i like to quite and be normal for a bit

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: just signed back up been awhile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:10:30 PM »
There are acouple over on the Heather Mills Forum that went to Stan.     :)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 05:53:50 PM »
jmore, just hanging around working in my shop to pass the time of day. Got a new set of legs this year for the LIMB LOGIC VS SYSTEM wasnot for me. pulled me down to far and started wearing blisters on the end of my stumps and man that wasnot fun at all, so now i am back to the pin/lock system and up and running agian, this summer heat played hell with me and i am up to 6 ply of socks on the new sockets and have had have leather patches glued into the inside of my sockets, but now i have close to 90% contact on both sockets around just below my knees. but those PHANTOM PAINS are driving me nuts, especially if i get just a bit dehydrated or i let them get cold on me.

We are headed out to SAN ANTONIO, tx next weeek, want to see the ALAMO and the RIVER WALK, we waited until now to go for they put up the CHRISTMAS LIGHTS right after THANKSGIVING and a friend of mine that lives down there says it is out of sight, so we will find out.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 11:32:40 PM »
pegleg, pin/lock system?  ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't even be able to take few steps with pin/lock system pushing into my limb causing all kinds of phantom pain.  you are one tough amputee for enduring all that pain pin/lock system causes.

god forbid, go get a kiis.  keep it simple suspension causes no pain, cheap as hell (like $100) and you could put it on in less time than it takes to wear a sock.

of course, KISS is hated by every prosthetist out there cuz once amputees are fitted with one, they never come back for follow up.  seriously.

prosthetists like to sell craps that amputees won't be happy with.  that way, they get to keep seeing their cash cows for follow ups. 

I know for fact that companies like Hanger and hospitals that work with Hanger is opennly hositle toward KISS; they would love nothing else than to see that KISS disappear forever.

In countries like Japan, Ottobock that markets KISS sends out secret memo to prosthetists to make sure they never mention KISS to their cash cows.  KISS is like the most well-kept secret of the O&P industry.

I am just amazed that someone didn't kill that idot who created KISS already.

Offline jmoore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 12:28:29 AM »
Jack sounds like your doing good Ann did they say how they did? Geni I tried a kiss system did not work for me I find out in a few days if this single wall vacum sytem will work or if I have to go to a double wall wich I know works just a little bulky let you know more on Monday

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 10:13:13 AM »
For me the trick/problem is getting a properly fitting socket. Once I have that I almost wouldn't care how it was held on. I use the suspension sleeve on one leg and my new one was the pin system. The suspension sleeve works great and is easy. My pin system socket doesn't fit perfect (or else I might just need more padding. The sock is very thin). The problem I have with the pin is that the sock needs to be put on perfectly. If its off even slightly the pin itself gets pulled and causes pain. It usually takes me about 4-5 tries to get it wearable which in the long run makes me turn to my old cracked socket suspension sleeve leg. Its too bad that they don't make a pin system that has a little play in it (somewhat free floating) in regards to the pin itself. I don't know but maybe having it free floating would cause other problems?) Any mechanical engineers out there?

For those who use a very thin sock, how do you cope with swelling? My sock is roughly 1/8th of a inch thick. I put a womans knee high pantyhose over it to protect it but not take up too much space. I find though that if I do any physical work at all that my leg swells (maybe just a little) and it makes the socket too tight. I figure the socket just needs to be recast and made larger but the hassle of it all is putting me off.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:32:47 AM by Steve C »
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 02:32:19 PM »
Genki and Steve, i am wearing right now two pin/lock liners and legs and having no problem with them at all. NOW i do have to put one socks from time to time through out the day as my stump shrinks and i have to raise my stump up, am up to wearing two 3 ply on both stumps before the day is over and i wear my legs from 8 in the morning until 11 or later at night, and as for putting on the sleave or liner i just turn it inside out and squezz it until i feel the pin in my fingers and then jam it up to the bottom of my stump and roll the liner on, if the pin is missalligned the most time it will slide into the hole real easy, some times i have to take it off and reallign the pin, but that only happens once or twice a month, right now i have with just one sock on each leg roughly 97% contact of the socket around and just below my knee, have had to have leather patches glued inside my sockets to push my stump back so that i am not pushing hard on my shin bone, the only other problem i have is if i let my stump get cold or too hot i start having some nasty nerve problems and PHANTOM PAIN problems, have to  sleep with a electric blanket in order to keep them warm and then when they get to warm i have to throw the covers off and sleep just laying on the bed not covered over. And as i have said before i tried the LIMB LOGIC VS system and it wasnot for me for it was pulling me down and i was wearing nasty blisters on the end of my stumps, since i have gone back to the pin/lock system that has stopped, Dont think that i will try anything else and stay with the pin/lock, unless my legs person who by the way is also a amputee can show me that there is a better system then i may try it out, if we can get MEDICARE to pay for it.

Right now i have other problems that are causing more trouble for me, spent most of yesterday in the EMERGENCY ROOM at the local hospital, it came on me and i thought that i was have a major heart attack, dizzy, throwing up and could not walk. but came to find out all it was, was the content ringing in my ears and also i am having problems with them also, am in the process of fighting the VA on this right now.

Almost for got i am wearing the ALPHA MAX 9 MM tapered liners and love them.
you-all have a great day.

Offline jmoore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 08:07:01 AM »
Hey jack you feeling better today? I am in the same fight as you with the VA about my hearing the ringing sucks in my right ear had a hear test done by the VA the lady said you can barley hear out your right ear and left ear is moderate loss now she says the fight begins to compensate plus hearing aids run about 5 to 6 grand each there going to get them but I got to fight for the compensation wich is bs worked around the loudest jets the AF had the SR-71 and A-10 the a-10 was not loud but the german tordeos where hard on the ears hope all work out for ya hope to have a check socket today or first thing Tuesday from stan meet him yesterday great guy let's you guys know how it works