Author Topic: phantom pain  (Read 2084 times)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
phantom pain
« on: March 20, 2008, 07:50:11 AM »
Hi All - here is a link to a cnn article about a treatment study at Walter Reed Army hospital for amputee phantom pain. I have seen other claims about the effectiveness of this method. herb  http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/03/19/mirror.therapy/index.html

Offline metdrs

• View Profile
Re: phantom pain
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 07:53:39 PM »
Herb and All,

I did some digging and found an article of interest about mirror therapy
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/21/2206

The New England Journal of medicine did a study that showed mirror therapy did reduce phantom pain in many amputees.

Also found another website that explained mirror therapy and how to use it in laymans terms.
www.mirrorboxtherapy.com

They also link to site where you can purchase a mirror box. It seems that this therapy is not brand new, but has been around for a few years.

Dave
north east Pennsylvania
Taking one day at a time!!

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 05:51:13 PM »
Hi Dave - I suspect that the good that people get from the mirrors might be a placebo effect. I have always wondered what triggers phantom pain in me. I can go months without a bit of it and then it hits with a vengeance for a day or 2 and then goes away again for months. Herb

snowbear

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 07:03:50 PM »
I agree its the placebo effect..if you think it will work then it may..I have a ton of phantom pain 24/7 and a ton of pain before amputation. I have tried it all..Grape seed, pain patches, pain management, 3 nerve blocks, nurotin until it came out of my ears! and many other things even farab block sock. Not much use.

Offline metdrs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 08:22:19 PM »
snowbear,
Welcome back to the new forum. I know that you have tried many ways to reduce phantom pain.

It might be of help to you to check out the links to the CNN article that says that Walter Reed is using this treatment on the soldiers with success.

The New England Medical report describes in detail their study showing a reduction in phantom pain.
You never know which treatment might work for you.

Dave S
Taking one day at a time!!

snowbear

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 09:41:21 PM »
snowbear,
Welcome back to the new forum. I know that you have tried many ways to reduce phantom pain.

It might be of help to you to check out the links to the CNN article that says that Walter Reed is using this treatment on the soldiers with success.

The New England Medical report describes in detail their study showing a reduction in phantom pain.
You never know which treatment might work for you.

Dave S

Hi Dave thanks for the info! Very appreciated! it good to be back! :)