Author Topic: crutches  (Read 2252 times)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
crutches
« on: November 02, 2010, 11:21:33 AM »
A long time ago I learned that forearm crutches were much better than underarm crutches because they leave your hands much more available for most tasks, but they have always worn out quickly. Recently I was walking one of my dogs at at 6 am in the dark wearing almost nothing ( I live in a remote area) when it suddenly started pouring. I turned to get back in side quickly and one of my crutches snapped at the hand grip. I got up and had to hop back on one crutch. I was using aluminum crutches because they are much cheaper than titanium crutches. I got on line to search for titanium crutches that might be cheaper than fetterman's. I found some steel forearm crutches that were rated for three times my weight and had a much longer warranty than any of the aluminum crutches. I bought them and they are great. The additional weight is not even noticeable. They feel very solid and were actually cheaper than the no good, light weight aluminum crutches I have been buying. Herb

Offline uScott

• View Profile
Re: crutches
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 04:49:51 PM »
Do you mind sharing the manufacturer name or who you bought them from?

Personally I feel that my custom crutches were well worth the initial cost.  I had started with a certain brand of adjustable aluminum crutches, but found that I would destroy a pair in six months, not to mention chewing through several crutch tips a week.  Cheap junk like that just isn't made for hard, full-time use by a big guy like me.  I did learn how to buy good crutch tips, and that was my first clue that there were better products on the market.

So I paid something like a thousand for my custom crutches, going on 7+ years now and I have had absolutely no problems with them.  Sure it was a chunk of change, but with the cheap ones costing me a hundred bucks a pair twice a year, the good ones have more than paid for themselves, never mind all the injuries I avoided by not having crutches bend, break or collapse all of a sudden.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 03:17:04 PM »
Hi Scott - the brand was " Drive" they cost $68. I have been using them for 2 weeks and love them. When it comes to crutches lighter  is not better. When shopping for these crutches I saw several product descriptions bragging about how light their crutches were. They sacrifice strength and durability for lightness. I would rather carry a little extra weight and not have to worry about them breaking and me falling and getting hurt. I have been using crutches since 1968 and have broken many over the years. This is my first steel pair. Herb

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 04:50:10 AM »
Just as a matter of interest, the reason underarm crutches aren't favoured is not just that it leaves your hands available to do other things, I believe it's mainly because the pressure put on the underarm area is unnatural and could harm tendons, skin, blood supply etc.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 04:27:16 PM »
I just switched from underarm crutches that I used since age 2, to the fourarm crutches, I find I can do much more with the underarm  crutches and work better with them.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 09:29:36 PM »
Hi Snowbear - old habits are hard to change. I think after you use the forearm crutches for a while you will see how much better they are. I used underarm crutches for almost  30 years and am now glad I made the switch fifteen years ago. Herb

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 10:34:45 PM »
I do like them better, but find I could do more task with the underarm crutches, like Carrie things at the same time. My hands and arms are more restricted with forarms..But I do like them much better! And they are  hot pink!

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 08:28:06 AM »
Hi Snowbear - I do not know about the hot pink color. Try holding the hand grip with most of your hand sticking out over the end of the grip. That leaves most of your fingers available to hold items. When I am working in the kitchen or shop and not going far I turn the cuff straight up and can lean way over or take a few steps without even using the hand grip. Herb

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 01:50:54 PM »
Thanks for the tip Herb! Appreciated :)