Author Topic: US slips to 49th in life expectancy  (Read 1995 times)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
US slips to 49th in life expectancy
« on: October 18, 2010, 11:07:04 AM »
We spend more than double what all the countries that are ahead of us and what do we get - poor results that keep getting worse. Columbia University just did a study that ranks our privatized health care industry way behind all the major "socialized systems" around the world. When are we going to stop being brainwashed by all the people who make big profits with the status quo?

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
Re: US slips to 49th in life expectancy
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 06:04:49 PM »
I hear you, Herb:

The US high-profit Big Business healthcare system is a disgrace.

I think it is ironic that the same folks who tout free-trade and the unbridled capitalistic market, are the same ones who staunchly deny Americans access to the more reasonably-priced drugs in Canada.

Free trade for the big corporations, but NO free trade for the American public.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 01:59:20 AM »
For more than forty years, stevia was illegal to consume in the US.  In Japan, use of stevia is widely used.  Stevia is a natural herb with 0 calorie and has health benefits of preventing type II diabetes.  Many studies show stevia not only prevents diabetes but improves the condition.  So why did FDA prevent American public from consuming stevia for so long?  Because FDA was protecting artificial sweeter makers like Johnson & Johnson.  Yeah, your chlorine based splenda!!!  That's what FDA wishes you would rather consume.

In many states, you can only drink pasteurized milk.  Natural/raw milk from free ranged cows that are not fed corns cures asthma, allergies, and atopy.  Well, in countries where raw milk is the norm, like all of Asia, such diseases are unheard of.  There are so many testimonies of people who have been cured of lukemia and other diseases by simply drinking natural milk.  But if you do, you are breaking the law in the U.S.

What does most States require us to drink?  Pasteurized milk from cows that are raised with antibotics & injected with growth hormons to maximize the production of milk in most unsanitary conditions you can imagine.  Why?  Because our government needs to protect the profits of corporate farmers.  Corporate farmers' profit is more important than our health.

I can go on and on about other things but I hope you get the point.  It's not that American public is receiving inadequate healthcare.  We are just being fed really unhealthy stuff & thus becoming really sick.

My highschool phy. sci. teacher told me "you are what you eat."  Well, I think as long as we keep consuming really sick & disgusting stuff like pasturized milk, no amount of health care will make us well.  Just go visit any milk factory farms and you will see what I mean.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 02:10:18 AM by Genki_rockets »

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 07:39:31 AM »
Genki_rockets~  I have always heard pasturized milk killed all the germs  {NO?}  Can't we buy stevia..where did you find all this news concerning it helping type 2 diabetes   :)

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 03:11:27 PM »
In many states, you can only drink pasteurized milk.  Natural/raw milk from free ranged cows that are not fed corns cures asthma, allergies, and atopy.  Well, in countries where raw milk is the norm, like all of Asia, such diseases are unheard of.  There are so many testimonies of people who have been cured of lukemia and other diseases by simply drinking natural milk.  But if you do, you are breaking the law in the U.S.

FWIW, I think it's only illegal to sell raw milk, but there's nobody telling you that you can't milk your own cow and drink the moo juice au naturel.  But I agree that it's stupid that you can't buy raw milk...we can buy and eat raw meat, we can buy and eat raw eggs, we can buy and eat raw vegetables -- all of these things may carry pathogens that will at the very least ruin your weekend -- but milk?  Nope.  It's confusing that as consumers we can make our own educated choices about some foods, but not others. Heck, just try to find a pint of cream that hasn't been juiced up with an extract of seaweed for goodness sake!

Personally I am a fan of whole foods, being able to trace what's on your plate to where it was grown, and trying to avoid eating anything that can't be easily made in my own kitchen (high fructose corn syrup, I'm looking at you).  But at the same time...well, milk is a baby's food, lots of sugar, and I'm not sure adults should still be consuming the stuff.  Most of the world doesn't, of course, most people lose their ability to make lactase after childhood.  But on the third hand, I sure do love me some nice sharp aged cheese....

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 04:05:30 PM »
Ann, just type "raw milk" & "stevia" on google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

The report also found no evidence of carcinogenic activity. Furthermore, the report noted that "stevioside has shown some evidence of pharmacological effects in patients with hypertension or with type-2 diabetes"[52]

More recent medical research has shown promise in treating obesity[12] and hypertension.[13][14

As for raw milk, milk from healthy cows raised in clean environment does not contain harmful bacteria.  We've been all drinking raw milk for thousands of years.  Only after farmers started to mistreat cows and keep cows in unhygienic conditions, pasteurization became necessary.  Funny thing is children drinking pasteurized milk is ten times more likely to develop allergies and other choronic illnesses like atopy and asthma.

Just look at kids these days.  We have children that are allergic to things like peanut and fruits!!! LOL  Many studies showed that after switching to raw milk, these allergies were gone in little as 7 days. 

Now, milk, raw or otherwise, may not be necessary or even healthy for adults.  But pasteurized milk?  You gotta be insane feeding that stuff to your kids.  Go to Africa or any undeveloped countries.  They don't even know what allergy means.   Among Amish people up in Pennsylvania, if you try to explain what autism means, you will have a real hard time.  Because none of their children have autism.  Think about that.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 04:17:48 PM »
Hi Ann - I have had cows and goats over the years and always consumed their milk raw and have always remained healthy. The problem with commercial raw milk is that it is almost impossible to keep it free of contamination by potentially deadly bacteria. Commercial dairies have many unhealthy cows,lots of equipment that is difficulty to keep sanitized, and then it has to travel to a dairy processor and then be packaged and sent to a store. Milk is a perfect medium for bacteria and with all the steps and elapsed time before you consume it, it is just too likely to be unsafe. I do think that it could be safe to buy raw milk directly from the farm, but how many people can actually do that. Here in NH I know of cow and dairy farms that will sell raw milk to the consumer. When I lived in Ohio back in the 1970's, I bought raw milk directly from farmers. Pasturization converts contaminated milk into dead "safe milk" I have never heard of a woman taking her breast milk and pasturizing it before feeding it to her baby.

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 12:57:07 AM »
Herb, here in Maryland, most consumers can go to local market and to many local farms close by.  However, consumption of raw milk is illegal.  Not even from cows you partially own. 

Our government wants us to drink milk from milk factory that uses growth hormones and antibiotics to pump out milk from genetically altered cows.  Yet it won't let us drink fresh and natural milk full of good bacteria and nutrients.

And we are wondering why the life expectancy in the US is so low despite spending so much money into healthcare?

LOL

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 07:30:50 AM »
Golly, we have a very knowledgeable group of people on this forum.    :)   Thanks guys.