Author Topic: Missuse of handicap parking  (Read 6084 times)

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
Re: Missuse of handicap parking
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 07:15:40 PM »
Herb:

Sorry to hear of the gross ignoring of h/c parking in your town.  Here we see some classic flaunting of the law.  Nut, by and large, people do honor the h/c spaces.

I past winters, snow was often piked up in h/c spaces (and of course those piles were the last to melt), but in the last couple of years they've done much better.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 09:15:58 PM »
I saw a message on SOME forum that said if you have problems with handicap parking issues, write a letter to department ______ at your state government.  This department has something to do with business and commerce and could possibly take action with the business on your behalf.  Anyone know what the heck I'm talking about?

I've filed my third complaint with Turkey Hill (aka 7-11, stop-n-rob, etc) about handicap parking spaces being used by employees, delivery trucks, etc.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 02:02:33 AM »
Jason:

Best solition to a business abusing h/c parking - the only language they understand - stop patroning them!  ...and let them know.  "Since you continue to ignore the needs of handicapped people by abusing the h/c parking spaces, I'm taking my business to [name of competitor, like Wawa, Cumberland Farm, etc.]"

Send copy to local store as well as corp. headquarters.

If they fail to respond, that confirms their disregard.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 05:42:32 PM »
Dick,  Excellent idea!  Hit them where it hurts- their pocketbook!  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 10:04:02 PM »
That's what I'm doing now.  But someone (somewhere) said that this state agency (like a state business agency, like maybe the dept of labor?) would get on them too and had real power to make them take action.

I'm still trying to figure out who to talk to about the new "river commons" they built, it's completely inaccessible by wheelchair.  Brand new (3 years old).
North-East Pennsylvania

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 04:55:07 PM »
More "food for thought" on the subject

I'm not sure if this is true or not...
A few years ago I was told by a local police officer that unless a business owner calls the police to issue a ticket that the police can't write a ticket for violating the disabled parking law.  The police won't go on private property to issue a ticket unless they are notified by the business or the business has given them the authority to patrol their lot.  I was told that if the disabled parking spaces aren't at a govt or public owned parking lot that there isn't anything that they can do (because it's privately owned) unless the business requests that they issue a ticket. 

I'm hoping that what the officer told me is wrong.  If the above statement is true, then why bother to have disabled parking spaces if no one is going to enforce them.     :(

It's been my experience that most businesses are hesitant to call the police because they don't want to lose any customers so the violators go unpunished and think it's okay to park wherever they want.  Businesses are more likely to announce that someone left their lights on than to request that someone move their vehicle for violating disabled parking.  Disabled parking issues are very frustrating.

Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline tbrbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 08:01:55 PM »
Jason:  Can't tell you what agency that might be but where I live, local handicapped advocates took the city to court over the lack of or poor access - curb ramps, accessibility issues to new buildings etc.  The city has a settlement/agreement with the US Justice Dept. to fix all the curb ramps (somewhere in excess of 7000 +) by 2014.  They have also had to redo or require building owners to redo access where it didn't meet standards.  Any project with that includes public funding is required to be ADA compliant.  And I believe that any private construction that includes public access also is required to be ADA compliant.  The city here has an employee that specifically deals with ADA issues so you might check with yours.  PA may also have an ombudsman; if so, contact that office.

Mitchee: in Oregon, cops will come onto private property and enforce handicapped parking whether violations are reported by the business or members of the public.  Police will also enforce all traffic laws - stopping for stop signs etc. (some of the larger shopping centers and mall parking lots do have them).  It may have to do how laws are written by each state to comply with ADA. 

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 11:33:34 PM »
This is a double-edged sword.
I work at an automotive repair facility specializing in Mercedes and BMW repair.
We work in a 35 year old building that is not ADA compliant.
My employer(also my brother) and fellow employees made whatever accommodations needed (ramps, assistance, scooter, etc.) to  enable me to continue employment post amputation..
But ADA compliance would have required an investment of hundreds of thousands of dollars, money our
8 employee company could never afford.

I now get by just fine.

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 09:40:52 AM »
The ADA law does not penalize small companies - those with less than a certain number of employees are exempt from enforcement, or if the cost of the modification would cripple the business.

Most of the buildings around here are old enough they were built before the law and unless there is major renovation of the structural part, are exempt from changes.  Although it's a pain in the ass when doctors offices have steps and no ramp, or a ramp that pre-dates the law and is very unsafe.  I've had to stop seeing some doctors because it's too dangerous for me to get in and out of their office!
North-East Pennsylvania

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 01:50:38 AM »
I believe that here in PA the police CAN indeed come onto private parking lots to ticket violators of h/c parking regulations.  BUT, how often they actually do so is up for debate.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 09:01:35 PM »
We had a plan in mind for a catwalk around our shop area for storage.
Overhead perimeter shelves around the large shop area.
Basically wasted space.
City code/ADA says we must have a $20K personnel elevator to get to the top tier.
I can walk stairs fine, but per the architect,city code/ADA(I don't know which) requires an elevator.
The rickety wooden stairway leading to the attic over the office space(which I cannot climb)
is perfectly acceptable.

Government run amok !

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 03:22:24 PM »
We had a plan in mind for a catwalk around our shop area for storage.
Overhead perimeter shelves around the large shop area.
Basically wasted space.
City code/ADA says we must have a $20K personnel elevator to get to the top tier.
I can walk stairs fine, but per the architect,city code/ADA(I don't know which) requires an elevator.
The rickety wooden stairway leading to the attic over the office space(which I cannot climb)
is perfectly acceptable.

I don't think that's the ADA...a local auto-parts store, built within the last ten years, their parts warehouse area has an upstairs and no elevators around.  A "reasonable accommodation" for an employee who can't do stairs could be an elevator, or it could be that you have another employee go upstairs as needed...I think the ADA is pretty flexible about that.  One city's building code, well, who knows what kind of knee-jerk stuff they might have stuck in there....