Author Topic: hobbies  (Read 10412 times)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: hobbies
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 09:09:07 AM »
Herb, will answer you first, here is what i have in my shop as far as tools go:

5 dremel heads with flex extension
too may tools for them to count
1 ROYI 16  throat scrolls saw
1 10" table saw
1 4"   table saw
1 turncraft table top lath on stand
must have about 5 or 6 set of exto knife sets
then a lot of home made tools that i make for a specific job and use it once or twice and then thats it.
must have around 100 differant types of clamps that i use.

need a small band saw and table top drill press, the drill press i am going to buy another dremel head and attachment and make it into a drill press

now that i have found it down here am going back in to cedar inlay, i use the multicolored cedar and make differant patterns on coffee and end tables and also Jewell boxes, for a while i could only get it from a friend up in WYOMING, now have a source of it down here in TEXAS.

Dave 08, it does take a lot of patients to make one of the USS CONSTITUTION, have some others that are still in the box that i haven't even really looked at. i use plastic models to scale my models from and usually make them bigger so that it shows the details better and as for my NAVY models i use picture from this web site   NAVSOURCE.ORG, you can spend three to four days in there and not look at all of the picture that they have on navy ships and the links.

I do believe i have answered all of you questions.

P.S. looks like i may be able to set the masts this week on the two that i am working on and start doing the rigging lines.
you-all have a great day.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 11:33:40 AM »
Hi jack - sounds like you have a great shop. You didn't tell Dave how you get your ships into the bottles. I go to a bar sometimes that has several model ships on display. You have a lot more patience than I do. I usually make larger things. My eyesight is no longer good for fine work. my daughter live in Austin. When I visit I see quite a few eastern red cedars growing wild. You should be able to get cedar from local sawmills. I use it in some of my projects. I have property in Ohio where it grows to pretty good size. It comes up in the pastures on hills and is common in cemeteries. Herb

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 01:23:31 PM »
Herb and Dave 08, dont do much bottle work havent figured out how to glue the bottle halfs backto geather and not have the seam show. Most of my models are to big to get into a bottle i am like you Herb my eye sight is starting to go on me.

Also i spent 9 years plus in the US NAVY, was on the USS RICHARD S. EDWARDS DD-950, Although i spent most of my time on shore duty or prefered sea duty being a RADIOMAN, We had a lot of prefered sea duty billits the had to be filled.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 08:47:12 PM »
"Dave 08, it does take a lot of patients to make one of the USS CONSTITUTION..."

Now Jack, was that a mispelling or a Freudian slip and you use slave labour from the hospital?
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 12:47:47 AM »
PLJ:

What a fine ship you have.  I have a 4-foot model schooner that I bought already made - just had to assemble it.  It is the Bluenose II, Nova Scotia's provincial vessel.  We also have photos of the actual Bluenose that I took whiler in N.S.  We have relatives and ancestors who are sailmakers.  One had the honor of making a new mainsail for the schooner.

I used to sail small sailboats - but haven't done so since becoming a DBKA.  Failing vision as well as a shortage of sea-legs.

My present hobbies are digital photography and occasional woodworking.  My wife calls me a toolaholic, but some of you guys have me beat.  Space limitations in our present home, so my son inherited the radial arm saw for his house renovations.  I have alot of electronic tools, one little Dremel, locksmithing tools and parts, and assorted other stuff.

I am active in an amputee support group and do peer visiting in the Philadelphia - Lehigh Valley area.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 09:08:39 AM »
Steve, you got me there on that one,  need to read my post a little closer and make sure that  i type what i mean.  After about 7 months on the two i am making now it looks like i just might get the mast set on them  and start running the rigging if it comes in. Didnt have enough to do them and had to order some more.

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 03:39:43 PM »
Cool ship Pegleg! I'm sure that I wouldn't have the patience to build one from scratch. When I was in my teens I used to build plastic and wood model kits, but that was many years ago.

My hobbies now are digital photography and collecting depression glass and Mickey Mouse paraphernalia. Actually I've been able to combine the two by creating a catalogue of my glass collection and I plan to start a Mickey catalogue as well in the next week or so. My wife and I also make day trips to scour antique flea markets for glass and at the same time watch for subject to photograph. I carry a small camera with me, attached to my wheelchair when I go out so that I don't miss shots because I left the big camera at home.
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 08:27:29 AM »
This is an update on the two that i am making now, finally got the mast set in on both of them and am starting to run the rigging.

snowbear

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 10:07:26 AM »
I enjoy scrapbooking and card making..I also collect vintage teddy bears or teddy bears in general..I even have a snowbear! a teddy bear that looks like a snow man!

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 12:25:21 PM »
Snowbear:

Speaking of teddy bears, I have a few, along with a variety of other stuffed critters.  Being an amputee, I have two rather special ones:  An AmpuTeddy, made by a couple of women in WA state.  They make them with detachable limbs to match the amputee.  Since I am a bilateral BK, so is my AmpuTeddy. 

I've known Sarah Reinertsen, member of ACA and a great athlere (and great person, too).  This year at ACA in Atlanta, she was selling SarahBears, a cute teddy with a molded running prosthesis.  Of course, I just had to have one.

I use the stuffed animals in my children's sermons.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »
just to let you all know i have finished them and now working on the ROBERT E. LEE river boat and LST-380. to add to my collection of models.

snowbear

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008, 05:04:35 PM »
Snowbear:

Speaking of teddy bears, I have a few, along with a variety of other stuffed critters.  Being an amputee, I have two rather special ones:  An Imputed, made by a couple of women in WA state.  They make them with detachable limbs to match the amputee.  Since I am a bilateral BK, so is my Imputed. 

I've known Sarah Reinertsen, member of ACA and a great athlere (and great person, too).  This year at ACA in Atlanta, she was selling SarahBears, a cute teddy with a molded running prosthesis.  Of course, I just had to have one.

I use the stuffed animals in my children's sermons.

ME TOO!!!!!!!! My wonderful husband bought me one when I had my amputation!! I also has a book called Ampu teddy goes to school! I read it and take my ampu teddy to work it helps explain to my kids I work with!! they love it..They call my prosthtic my  "helper Leg"  It has a LBK just like me!

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 01:37:43 AM »
Yeah, Snowbear.  I have a couple of those little books that the AmpuTeddy women sell.  They are great for young kids.

Meanwhile, I've been working on a pair of wood-clad tool chests - making sturdy old shop chests suitable for use in the house.  They will match last year's project, a rolling chest that holds hardware, called my "Little Coffin on Wheels".  They are about 3/4 constructed - then comes the finishing which my wife helps with - so these do become joint projects.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

snowbear

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 07:29:02 AM »
Now that sounds intresting Dick! I will be getting ready for a whole new group  of kids..and ampu teddy will be coming with me for the talk and lesson on people with differences. They are always so attentive when I bring in ampute teddy and the reaction when I take his leg off is to priceless. I then explain how my leg comes off to! The questions as you know are a riot! children you have to love them!