Author Topic: two topics to talk about,  (Read 1763 times)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
two topics to talk about,
« on: September 21, 2010, 05:21:47 PM »
1. if you feel that you are going to need a scouter in the near of for seen future like in a couple of year, my leg person has told  me to get you doctor to write a persciption for before the first of the year and if you wait until after the first you will have  to rent it for 13 months before medicare will pay for it. and have your doctor state that it is for in house use and not out side, he didnot explain the difference but did stress the indoor usage.

2. just found out that a old shipmate of mine had to have a BKA of his left leg due to diabies, and as usuall the hospital did not put him in touch with any support group or individual amputee to help him through this, was on the phone with him and his wife for over  two hours answering their questions and i know by now they have more that need to be answered, he has great spirits and is planning a HOLLOWEEN costume, and as usual CAPT KID pegleg one.
you-all have a great day.

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: two topics to talk about,
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 01:45:33 PM »
Tell him to come online & it won't be long before his questions will be answered by you and other members.  I am glad you had a chance to fill him in on alot of things............ :)

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 09:29:26 AM »
2. just found out that a old shipmate of mine had to have a BKA of his left leg due to diabies, and as usuall the hospital did not put him in touch with any support group or individual amputee to help him through this, was on the phone with him and his wife for over  two hours answering their questions and i know by now they have more that need to be answered, he has great spirits and is planning a HOLLOWEEN costume, and as usual CAPT KID pegleg one.

Hospitals are generally dense on the issue, they don't know support groups and peer visitors are options.  The hospital can not give out patient info to you if you go and ask about new amputees (violates HIPPA law).  And won't let you put an informational flyer out for staff.

In my opinion, the ACA needs to focus on spreading the word in the medical community that there is a peer visitor system.  And the ACA needs to get better at sending out peer visit calls.  In 2 years I've never gotten a peer visit request from the ACA.  I know lots of people who have done the training and never talked to anyone.  The body is willing, but the mind is not functioning....
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 06:00:58 PM »
Jason:

You're not alone.  I haven't had any peer visit requests from ACA for years.  I think I'm off their list now.  Most of my requests have come thru LVH.

I believe that ACA was too persnickity about who they would refer.  Had to be the same limbs amped, and same age, and same gender, and same......  And if you weren't a perfect match, you weren't called.  It's not like ACA has a million peer visitors to choose from.

Persoanally, I believe a new amp lying in the hospital or rehab would welcome a first contact from almost any other amp.  I know I would have.  My surgeon said he knew of a nurse at the hospital who was an amp, and asked if I would like to see her.  She worked in another part of the large hospital, and for whatever reason, we never did meet.

Back then, I didn't know of ACA and their visitors.  I knew a couple of amputees in my town - one lived down the street.  Other than that, the first amp I met was my former prosthetist, George.

I dunno. With ACA, peer visiting is "the best kept secret in town".

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 06:10:53 PM »
Jason and Jack:

Yeah, hospitals are dense when it comes to peer visiting.  They certainly don't do anything to encourage it.  I'm not sure why, but it could be a mix of professional pride and fear of liability.  They seem to work on the pricinple of "the fewer fingers in the pie the better".  They seem to enjoy a certain "mystique" about medicine, hiding behind their white coats.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 08:04:19 PM »
I didn't get a peer visitor while in the hospital either, I did however get a visit from what I thought of at the time as, The Traveling Leg Salesman!  He was a local cp and he arrived with a duffle bag of assorted legs/feet to show me.  I do not remember much of what he showed me as the doctor had me drugged out of my head with Oxycontin.  I was so out of it that one of my girlfriends came by to visit and asked how I was doing to which I replied I was fine, losing a leg was "no problem" as I had hardly ever used that leg anyways!
I never did use that cp and I never did figure out how he even knew which room to find me in or how he knew I  was a recent amp.

anne f.