Author Topic: Nerve removal or neuroma removal  (Read 2645 times)

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
Nerve removal or neuroma removal
« on: September 03, 2010, 07:11:22 PM »
Hi, I have been a LBK for 7 years now, I have constant non stop pain..most days it off the charts. I also have many zings, stabs, and zaps out of the blue..I have tried it all 3 nerve blocks,  all the anti seizure meds you can think of. Pain meds, farb block sock, lotions,  etc...The next suggestion is to remove the nerve or the neuroma they think it is...

Had any one gone through this? I'm wondering about the recovery time and very concerned if it grows back...I have been told it grows back..Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
Re: Nerve removal or neuroma removal
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 02:24:19 PM »
I am LAK and I had neuroma removed last year.  I also had heterotopic ossification (growth of bone in the wrong place) removed.

Younger you are, faster the growth of nerve and anything else.  Even your fingernails grow faster when you are young.

Some really young and active amputees have to have neuromas removed every other year.  It's kinda sad if you think about it.  Your nerves want to grow back but they have no place to go.

After surgery, I was wheelchair bound for 2 month.  Perhaps your recovery time will be faster since you are not removing any bone.

Wish you the best

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 04:55:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply...I'm more concerned about the recovery time and not being able to wear my leg, then the procedure...

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 07:59:21 PM »
Hi Genki Hi Snowbear - For several years I have suspected that I have neuromas that are causing me problems. My surgeon tells me that all amputees have neuromas but that there is no way to tell which ones are causing pain. My femur was shattered in my accident and it has been growing and is now very thick and it it starting to cause me to get blisters sometimes where it presses on my socket. I now have to worry about being too active in very hot weather which we had a lot of this year. I have been told that removing some of the bone can actually accelerate the growth problem.  I am going to have to get a new socket soon because the femur is getting too close to my skin in some spots. I am hoping to avoid surgery. Snowbear - I would like to hear how your surgery works. Herb

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 08:18:46 PM »
Hi Herb, as pf now their is no way I'm up for it..Have had 20 operations on my leg since infancy including the amputation..Just went through a breast biopsy in June..Luckily is was not cancer! So I'm not up for more surgery on the stump..

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 02:18:28 AM »
oh.,, i came home day after the surgery.  I wanted to stay longer to get some more IV deluded (yes I became an addict after having had 30 + surgeries in past 4 years ^^) but they sent me home after a day.  darn.

deluded and fentanyl.  Really good stuff. ^^  Too bad only thing I have access to now is oxycodon. :-\

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 12:28:36 PM »
oh.,, i came home day after the surgery.  I wanted to stay longer to get some more IV deluded (yes I became an addict after having had 30 + surgeries in past 4 years ^^) but they sent me home after a day.  darn.

deluded and fentanyl.  Really good stuff. ^^  Too bad only thing I have access to now is oxycodon. :-\

I woud say you are not doing too bad with the oxycodon....it should do the trick... ::)

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 12:53:07 PM »
There are a number of treatments for Neuromas.

I've seen lots of success using nerve blocks rather than surgery. Basically, thy inject a temporary block which lasts for about a day, then if it works they inject a stronger drug (i will find out the name of the drug and post shortly). That way you can be back on your leg(s) immediately afterwards - no recovery time required as far as i can tell.

Surgery is only reserved for the most severe cases

Other options include a Spinal Block (usually reserved for Chronic regional Pain syndrome)

Neuromas often grow back, but there is no definitive time frame.

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 04:56:34 PM »
I just got the nerve block done at the podiatrist office this morning becaused I've developed plantar fasciitis.  (Basically, I've torned ligaments in my heel since I was walking around so much.)  I have been told to hang up my C-leg & just not walk for awhile.  :-\

From the patient's perspective, the biggest drawback of nerve block is that you walk away empty handed afterwards.  No deluded, no morphin, not even oxycodone.  No nothing!!!!  This sux big time.  After enduring all the poking around, you are not awarded with any goodies.   Two thumbs down for me.

If you are getting the nerve block done at a pain center, you can be sedated but sedation doesn't give you the lift.  Sedation sedates you.  LOL   Never block is a rotten deal any way you look at it.