Author Topic: MEDICARE CUTS COMING UP  (Read 2263 times)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
MEDICARE CUTS COMING UP
« on: August 31, 2010, 08:04:38 PM »
Just got this from a congressman, and will try and type it out for you all,

in 2010

Meducare will cut reimbursements to inpatient psychiatric hospitals

in 2011
Medicare cuts to home health agencies begin
Weathier seniors ($85K/$170K) begin paying higher part D premiums
mEDICARE CUTS BEGIN TO AMBULANCE SERVICES, AMBULATORY SURGERY CENTERS, DIAGNOSTIC LABS AND DURABLE MEDICAL EQUIPMENT
SENIORS ARE PROHIBITED FROM PURCHASING POWER WHEELCHAIRS UNLESS THEY FIRST RENT FOR 13 MONTHS
NEW MEDICAR CUTS TO LONG TERM CARE HOSPITALS BEGIN
NEW MEDICARE CUT TO HOSPITALS AND CUT TO NURSING HOMES BEGIAN (FY12)
MEDICARE ADVANTAGE CUTS BEGIN. PARTICIPATING SENIORS WILL FACE PREMIUM INCREASES, BENEFIT CUTS OR BOTH

IN 2012
MEDICAR REIMBURSEMENTS FOR DIALYSIS TREATMENTS ARE CUT
MEDICARE CUTS TO HOSPICE BEGIN

IN 2013
MEDICARE REIMBURSEMENTS TO HOSPITALS THAT SERVE LOW-INCOME SENIORS WILL BE CUT

So for us on MEDICARE, it looks like we are gonna take it in the shorts, and have read and cannot find it any more but the president wants to stop all payments on durable medical equipment, so that in a way will slam me right back into my wheel chair and make it a lot harder for me to lead and active live. being a bilaterial BKA.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
Re: MEDICARE CUTS COMING UP
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 02:43:23 AM »
PLJ:

How much of this is for real, and how much  is the scare-mongering of those in the political opposition?   Remember the "Death Panels"?  So much hogwash.  It seems the opposition to healthcare reform have a vivid imagination!

That Congressman you quoted -- which political party? What is his over-all political agenda?  Consider the source.

Currently, DME, including prosthetics, are reimbursed at 80%.  Granted, that remaining 20% can be more than pocket-change for a good prsthetic limb.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 01:49:23 PM »
Dick,

Where are you getting your info! 

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 03:30:17 PM »
Dick, if you read the bill itself you will find  it and it is in there for i have read it completely, and as for my source on the he is a MD and also a congressman for the state of louisiana(sp) i get a news bulliten every month from him and right now he has a bill in the works to  force all of the representives and congressmen and women to have to take this health care them self instead of exempting themselfs from it. And i know that y ou are going to come back and tell me that they are going to get all 500 million from fraud and misuse, that is a bunch of b.s.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 04:03:48 PM »
Hi Jack - with so many people going on retirement now, medicare has to start cutting back a little so it does not go bankrupt. There is an incredible amount of abuse and it has to stop. Making people pay a little more might encourage people to take more responsibility  for their own health. Many of the people who get free power chairs from medicare would benefit from an exercise program and a good diet. Speaking of diets, I read recently about a study done on a very simple diet aid. Simply drinking a 12 ounce glass of water before each meal results in a yearly average weight loss of 15 pounds. After drinking the water you can eat your normal meal. Wealthier citizens should not have their premiums subsidized. Premiums and benefits for the Advantage programs are set by the private insurance companies that sell them.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 12:41:33 AM »
PL Jack wrote:    "Dick ...... And i know that you are going to come back and tell me that they are going to get all 500 million from fraud and misuse, that is a bunch of b.s."

Jack:

I would thank you not to assume what I will come back and say.  Fact is, I had no intention of saying what you said I would.

Do I think the misuse and fraud should be reduced?  Yes.

Do I have any magic bullets how to do so?  No.  Do you?

As for the congressman who wants the Congress and Senate to accept the same healthcare plan that they vote for the rest of us?  Not a bad idea.  I like it.  Will they actually do so?  Don't hold your breath.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 03:10:03 PM »
PLJ:  when you talk about durable medical equipment are you talking about Prosthesis?

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 09:42:03 AM »
yes ANN i am.

Offline tbrbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 06:12:25 PM »
A point of clarification.  According to a news article I saw over the weekend, many of the changes being ascribed to the health care bill were in fact included as part of another bill pasted by Congress in either 2008 or 2009.  Many of the Medicare changes were coming regardless of health care bill.