Author Topic: Surgeon gets go-ahead to carry out world's first full leg transplant  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: Surgeon gets go-ahead to carry out world's first full leg transplant
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 08:59:30 AM »
Hi Steve - I agree with you. Not everyone could do this. A recipient's determination to have a successful outcome is extremely important. The success of the operation is going to depend on the persons acceptance  of the limb and their longterm hard work. If the recipient was not able to adapt to life with a prosthesis they probably do not have what it takes to be successful with a leg transplant. If they could figure how to get the immune system to accept the new leg with out requiring dangerous lifetime drugs, I would go for a transplant. I hope he does lots of these transplants and doctors in the US follow his lead.  Herb

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 11:21:38 PM »

What a fantastic undertaking...but this person will be doing the real work.  I am sure that I would at least want a womans leg. ::) ..I know....I'm too picky.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 03:05:03 PM »
Ann:

All depends on WHICH woman it came from ..... is she anywhere near the same build, size, skin tone as you are?  So many variables to consider.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA