Author Topic: quadruple amputee soldier  (Read 3474 times)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
quadruple amputee soldier
« on: July 04, 2010, 09:56:54 AM »
Here is a story that brought me to tears several times

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38083693/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times/

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
Re: quadruple amputee soldier
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 06:39:33 PM »
Must be a lot of dust in the air.
Something in my eye.

Thanks for posting.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 10:14:23 PM »
Hi Guzz - Brendan is going to be getting a double arm transplant at the University of Pittsburgh hospital. Does anybody know if there have been leg transplants yet? I read last year that an attempt was planned but have not heard anything further. Herb

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:26:30 AM »
A truly heart wrenching story.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:45:15 AM »
that person is the very reason that i am helping make a commercial today with PATRIOTPAWS SERVICE DOGS, web site is www,patriotpaws.org

And i am not getting paid for this, for i have volunteered my time for it. Me being a vet and am disable-ed i am eligible to have one but feel that there are others that need one more than i do.
you-all have a great day.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 04:22:18 PM »
Pegleg, did you mean you would be eligible for a service dog??  That might be something that would give you alot of pleasure {don't you think}  and could help you too.   :)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 04:59:05 PM »
Ann, yes i am eligible for one but here is the story, i feel that i am doing great enough that i dont need to have any more help, yes it would be great for these animals are highly trained, the one that they used to day was a golden lab and had only been in training about 6 months but was that doge ever good, and well trained, what i told them was this, if they were to give me one, that i would ask them to take it either to DALLAS VA or to the AMPUTEE CENTER IN HOUSTON, and find the most deserving disableed vet and give to him in my name. I am now the spoke person for this company CUSTOM CARE ORTHOPEDIC BRACING, LLC, this is the company that makes my legs for me, and was told also that they are going to have more of these made and want me to be  in them, i have nothing to say but good about them, for my last pair of legs that i have on right now fit like and old pair of shoes, still having to get used  to the FLEX FOOT that is on them, but other than that i have not had any problems, and also it was done with lazer mapping of my stumps and only need two sets of test sockets to get them the way i wanted them to fit not my leg person.

I am doing all of this free of charge, in hopes that it will help our BROTHERS and SISTERS coming home from the war zone. I persay do not have any combat experience my self although i am a veitnam vet, was there in APRIL OF 1963,
AS soon as they get it posted on there web site and i can link to it i will so that all can see it.
you-all have a great day.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 09:02:20 AM »
What a great thing for you to do....BUT on the other hand our Vets are giving us freedom.   :)

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 08:39:18 PM »
http://www.chron.com/news/photogallery/Patriot_paws.html

Good write-up in the Houston paper today.
Good on em.