Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 4159 times)

Offline Jeff Jester

• View Profile
Introduction
« on: March 14, 2008, 11:18:11 AM »
Some of the people on this site have heard of me from another site and some haven't. I am a left AKA for 13+ years. I ripped my foot off in a motorcycle accident in Singapore and then had infection (re-gangrene) which was cured by the above knee amputation. After the amputation I voluntarily withdrew from drugs in three days because up to that point I had been on morphine for 10 days and being a former addict it was starting to feel tooooo good. I checked myself out of the hospital after one week and went to Canada to do my rehab. Came back to Asia 9 months later and went back to work on an offshore drilling rig. I have been living in Thailand since. I was actually riding a motorcycle in Canada 5 months after the accident. I currently ride a customized Harley here (just arrived home yesterday from a 3 day - 1600km ride). I golf, exercise and work out on the punch bag. So now you know a little about me.
Regards Jeff

Offline metdrs

• View Profile
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 02:49:46 PM »
Welcome Jeff,
we are glad that you have joined us on the forum. This is a great bunch of caring people, willing to share their knowledge. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Dave
North east Pennsylvania
Taking one day at a time!!

Offline specialk2674

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 09:52:09 PM »
Hello everybody My name is Karen and I am a RLBK amputee, due to a blood clot     on July 15, 2005.  I know that I am blessed because I am not a diabetic, nor do i have high blood pressure.  I have adjusted extremely well and so far I have had no complications from anything.  I just happened to find this site and I am truly enjoying all of it.

I am still learning things about being an amputee everyday.  I do not attend any  support groups, to far out.  So I know I will be enjoying this even more so.  Ladies I don't know about you, but I am loving my life to the very fullest, and I just love being a woman. 

I have always been told that I am a attractive woman, but LOL I feel like the most amazing, sexy, caring, loving, surrounded by the most supportive friends, woman on earth. 

I have never cried over losing my leg, to me it was just something that was already written in this chapter of my life to happen.  I firmly believe that God will never overfill my plate.  God knows exactly what we each can handle. 

I was never a really spiritual being to start with and I believe this experience has really humbled my soul.  I never fully appreciated my life before this, and now I have some making up to do.  Anyway enough about me.

I live in the Atlanta area and I would love to make more new friends, especially those like myself.   I do enjoy working out to stay in shape and for a healthy lifestyle.

I hope that I am posting this correctly.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 07:25:19 AM »
Hi Karen - welcome to the forum. You have a great attitude. I was curious about what RLBK stands for.Are you right, left. or both?  Thanks herb

Offline specialk2674

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 05:53:10 PM »
Hello, I thought RLBK means right leg below knee?  It does look strange huh.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 08:34:23 AM »
your are right about that and there is a page on the ACA (amputee coalition of america) i beleive list all to the terms.

RBKA = RIGHT BELOW KNEE AMPUTATION
LBKA = LEFT BELOW KNEE AMPUTATION
DBKA OR BI BKA= MEANS BOTH LEGS BELOW THE KNEE (that is what i am)

hope this helps you all out
you-all have a great day.

snowbear

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 09:12:11 PM »
Hello I'm new I was on the old foam too. I'm a BKA for 4 years now..Due to a birth defect and many operations  on my leg since infancy. I had pseudoarthosis of the tibia.My leg broke at 8 months old in a cast..It was placed in a cast to protect it. I have had 16 operations 17 including the amputation. I was a leg brace all my life up to my hip. I developed a major bone infection 4 years ago from the pins. And had to loose it..Odd since amputation was suggested to my parents many times..Pseudoarthosis means non union..once the bone breaks it almost nevr mends. I was also in cast for up to 3 year at a time. As the leg never mends even with bone graphs bones were taken out of both hips at different ages...I has major pain and continue to have major pain and allot of phantom pain. I was told that the more pain a amputee has before the more will continue after..well for me that proves to be true...Thanks for letting me rant!

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 09:29:44 PM »
SNOWBEAR, so glad to hear from you.  I was really worried you were sick.  I think you will like the new forum.  I know I do. 

;)
ann

snowbear

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
Yes Ann! I love the new site! especially the spell check! I was very pleasantly surprised when I checker din and it was gone...But lead me to this one..Way better and better than the HMM!

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 05:20:20 PM »
Karen:

Welcome aboard.  I hope you enjoy this group.

You say you live in the Atlanta area, right?  And you want to meet other amps, right?  Have I got a hot oppotunity for you!

The annual conference of the Amputee Coalition of America is meeting this June in  ......... (drum-roll, please) ..... Atlanta!

It will be at the Renaisance-Waverly Hotel, June 19 to 23.

Contact ACA at amputee-coalition.org or call 888-267-5669.

Your chance to meet hundreds of amputees and friends and spouses. And, I'd love to meet you in person.   :D    ;D

I'm not pushing it, but since it's in your backyard......

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA