Author Topic: Quiet Forum  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
Quiet Forum
« on: July 15, 2010, 07:29:20 PM »
It's been quiet here for several days.  Is everyone out to lunch??
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline annieg

• View Profile
Re: Quiet Forum
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »
Everyone is at the beach, trying to stay cool! My computer is in the shop, so I haven't been able to keep up.  Hope everyone is e. anniegnjoying the summer
He who limps, still walks.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 09:25:45 AM »
not me this heat and humity is driving me nuts. have to take my legs off on the average of three time a day to dump the water out and dry my stumps. plus getting dehydrated on top of that and when that happens here comes the phantoms, waiting for the coffee to get done and it is 83 inside the house and it is only 8:30 in the morning, so it looks like not much yard work is going to get done today.

P.S. just read that D.C. had a 2.6 earthquake this morning.
you-all have a great day.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 09:54:36 AM »
Hello Jack - It has been way too hot up here in NH. I work in my garden in the morning and in the evening and am drenched in sweat after an hour. I am starting to train my young stallion . I rode him this morning for the first time and got painfully thrown off and landed on my back on an outdoor feeder stand. He has been saddled up a few times a week for the last month  but not mounted  until this morning. I will try again in a few days. Herb

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 11:40:38 AM »
Herb:

Do you think that stallion is trying to tell you something?  Like "Get off my back!"?  Good luck with the training, and don't injury yourself in the process.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 01:03:13 PM »
... rode him this morning for the first time and got painfully thrown off and landed on my back on an outdoor feeder stand. He has been saddled up a few times a week for the last month  but not mounted  until this morning. I will try again in a few days. Herb

Quite the adventure! You're braver than me!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 02:50:32 PM »
He wouldn't dump me more than once....then somebody else would train him.  I probably couldn't get up anyway  ;D ;D ;D      Yes Pegleg, I heard about the quake in DC...suppose it shook any of those guys up  ;)

I have a rash on my leg that I think is probably from the heat;  Gosh it does itch.  What was it someone said to rub on it....anyone remember.

What about Joe.  Has anyone heard from him to see how he's getting along...I miss his chatter.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 04:52:27 PM »
HERB, do what i used to do when breaking a green bronc, do you have a stock pond close by that you can get both you and the horse into, the water has to be about belly deep for it to  work, after taking the green bronc out  into the water i would mount him, and if he or she managed to throw me off i didnot get hurt from hitting hard ground, water is a lot softer and it dosent break the horses sprite in anyway or form.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 05:05:16 PM »
Hi Jack - that sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately I only have a shallow stream on my land. I got on him a for a minute this morning in a closed stall and he tolerated that pretty well. He is still too young to ride. I am just getting him used to having something on his back. This morning I finally got out on the lake boating and had a good time. We have been out a few times in a kayak or canoe but today was the first time in a power boat. It has been hot and it was nice and cool on the lake. Herb

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 05:17:34 PM »
here is a nother way i have done it if a stock pond is not available, take 100# of sand bags and tie them on the saddle good and tight and let hem try and  buck them off, it dont take long for them to realize that the wieght is not going to go away. if he is that young lower the wiegth of the sand by about 30 lbs. and start with that. after about the third time they cant hardly tell the differance between you  and the sand bags. and dont try to buck you off.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 07:30:37 AM »
Thanks Jack - great suggestion

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 02:05:12 PM »
Am I the only one with air conditioning   ???   Surley you have had something interesting to talk about.  Herb are you still trying to ride that horse....I will tell you one thing, it is too hot & humid to work outside.  What does everyone think about the oil explosion.,  I would say the president isn't making many friends there...I just hope this doesn't end the jobs in that area.   :)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 05:19:23 PM »
Ann, i have A/C but cant afford to run it right now. am paying .15 cents a KWH  and it dont take  long to run up on heck of a light bill, even just running a room a/c's my bill was over 200.00 and on a fixed income like i am you have to watch your  p's and q's when spending money, and we want to go to BRANSON, MO. in sept for a party LABOR DAY WEEKEND, if itwasnt for the fact we are gettting our rooms for 49.95 a night we would not be able to go, and this is at the COBBLESTONE HOTEL there in BRANSON, BUT i can say one thing BRANSON, is a military town and stand up for the service men and women, by giving discounts on almost everything they sell.

NEXT MONTH i drop to .099 cents per KWH, so that will help out a lot.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 11:14:45 PM »
Jack, we have been having a terrible hot & humid summer....had a $210 electric bill...whew...that's the highest it has ever been.  You have a great time in Branson, ya' hear!!

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 08:12:02 AM »
Hi Ann - I have been putting my weight on the horse for a few minutes every day but he is not ready for riding yet. It has been way too hot here in NH this summer. I just put the ac on for a half hour or so in the evening and have not noticed much increase in my electric bill. It was $74 last month. I try to cool off every day at the lake, but it is quite warm now. You have to move around in the water till you find a cool spring fed area. Boating on the lake is a good way to cool off too. I drive a lot and keep the truck ac at full blast. I try to do my outdoor work at 6 am and some more in the evening when it is cooler. I worked up a good sweat yesterday just picking some veggies for dinner. My garden loves the heat and is producing far more food than I can eat or give away. The flowers are spectacular this year too. I planted flowers between the rows of veggies and now when I am hoeing in the garden there are humming birds flying all around me. Herb