Author Topic: cat double amputee  (Read 2246 times)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
cat double amputee
« on: June 26, 2010, 04:59:49 PM »

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: cat double amputee
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 08:49:52 PM »
Couldn't watch the video Herb, I don't have broadband at the moment. I think this is the same fella though...

Paws for thought: Oscar the bionic cat

A cat whose back legs were chopped off in a farming accident has been given a new bionic pair, in a ground-breaking feline first in Britain. Skip related content

Two-and-a-half year old Oscar lost at least one of his nine lives when he was run over by a combine harvester last October -- but eight months later he has regained a spring in his step.

The prosthetic paws were fitted by neuro-orthopaedic surgeon Noel Fitzpatrick, in a three-hour operation involving grafting the replacement legs onto the stumps of Oscar's remaining bones.

"The real revolution with Oscar is because we have put a piece of metal and flange into which skin grows into an extremely tight bone," said Fitzpatrick, who carried out the surgery last November.

"Oscar can now run and jump about as cats should do."

His owner Kate Nolan said: "We had to do a lot of soul-searching and our main concern has always been whether this operation would be in Oscar's best interests and would give him a better quality of life."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20100625/tod-paws-for-thought-oscar-the-bionic-ca-6058bda.html

I wonder if his little back legs have some sort of shock absorbers. Might be handy to have...

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
Hi Steve - the video is about Oscar the cat. His feet appear to be made out of a soft rubber like material that will bend in several directions and absorb some of the shock when the cat lands from jumps. Even though the feet were small, like human prosthetics they cost thousands. Herb

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 03:21:42 PM »
Pretty impressive cat!
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 05:49:14 PM »
Hi Jason - hopefully, soon you will be scampering around like that cat. I still think osteointegration is the future of prosthetics. The socket is what causes the all problems that I have as an amputee. I see all this high tech research being done and think they are skipping over what I really need. Computerized knees, ankles and powered prothesises are useless to someone in pain from his socket. I'm having problems of pain and swelling right now from an ill fitting socket but I do not feel that I have had it long enough to justify the expense of a new socket. Herb

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 01:13:40 AM »
Herb:

How long should one wait tor replace a prosthesis?  I know many insurance companies will disagree with me, but I say whenever the current pros isn't performing properly and painlessly.

Don't put up with an ill-fitting socket, even if it is relatively new.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 09:08:20 PM »
Hi Dick - it would be nice to be able to replace a prosthesis whenever your doctor said it was needed. Those of us that do not live in a country where medical care is provided to everyone and who are not wealthy have to make do with what we have. I am on medicare and have been told that durable medical equipment must last 5 years. I use crutches some every day. The only ones that medicaid will pay for are low quality. I have pair that is one year old that is totally worn out. They are so poorly made that the places where bolts go through the aluminum tubing the holes have gotten very enlarged and now parts are flopping around when I walk. I just bought new ones and paid for them myself. I looked into buying titanium crutches last year but the company did not take any insurance and they cost 9 time what aluminum crutches cost. Maybe it will buy them next time. Herb

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 09:59:36 AM »
herb, i just went through that my self and no you donot have to  wait 5 years for medicare to pay for a new set, you can get a new set every year if your PCP, will write you a letter stating that you are in need of a new pair, that is what we did and i have gotten mine now and am wearing them.

And yes MEDICARE states that it should be three years not five as they told you, for this i know cause they tried the same thing on me and my old legs were  less than a year old. the people that make my legs have an outstanding insurance dept which they keep up on all of this and do all of the letter and forms for you and i did have to anything except show up for my appointments, and they even contacted my PCP for me so that i would not have to  make an appointment and request the information.
you-all have a great day.

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 01:11:25 PM »
They are so poorly made that the places where bolts go through the aluminum tubing the holes have gotten very enlarged and now parts are flopping around when I walk. I just bought new ones and paid for them myself. I looked into buying titanium crutches last year but the company did not take any insurance and they cost 9 time what aluminum crutches cost. Maybe it will buy them next time. Herb

Herb, I also got fed up with cheap aluminum crutches very early on.  I'm a big guy and fairly active even right after I lost my leg.  It only took me eight months to pretty much destroy a $100 pair of Al crutches, and six months for the next pair!  After that I bought the custom-made titanium crutches, paying out of my own pocket.  They are WORTH EVERY PENNY.  Nine times the cost, but they will easily outlast twenty pairs of cheap aluminum sticks.  I've been using mine hard almost every day for nearly eight years, and I have had ZERO mechanical problems with them.  The tips and grips do wear and need to be replaced, but this is true of all crutches, and going with the high quality gel grips and tips, they really do last a good long time, at least 2-3 years IME.

I could go on...never had a tip blowout that left a bare metal crutch end skidding across hard linoleum or chewing up a real hardwood floor...never had an adjuster pop out and let the crutch telescope closed when I went to put weight on it...never had a rivet work loose...never got sore wrists and blisters from cheap foam hand grips...never had a crutch actually BEND under a normal load...I don't work for this crutch company nor do I represent them in any way, I am just a very satisfied customer.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 06:38:45 PM »
Hi Scott - I never get more that a year out of aluminum crutches. I put a lot of hard miles on mine. The pair I bought last year used threaded bolts instead of rivets and they they wore out really fast because the threads on the bolts chewed up the aluminum tubes. I bought them on line. The manufacturer surely knew they would not last long. I would like to get the fedderman crutches and someday will but there always seems to be other uses for the $900 .  Herb

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 01:57:38 AM »
I have a pair of Fetterman aluminum crutches, and they  have served me well for several years.  Even tho they are not the titanium ones, they are very well built.  They are custom cut for each user - no adjustable bolts or spring-pins to bounce around and elongate the holes in aluminum.  The tips last 3 years or so, and are easily replaced.

For more info, try a serach on "Thomas Fetterman Crutches".

Initial outlay is rather pricey, but in the long run, it pays off.

Just another happy customer.  :)
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA