Author Topic: Men of Honor - movie  (Read 963 times)

Offline JClark

• View Profile
Men of Honor - movie
« on: June 19, 2010, 07:56:08 PM »
Steve,

I was wondering if you've seen the movie "Men of Honor" with Cuba Gooding?  It has a scene that sounds quite a bit like what happened to your leg.  And it's a pretty cool movie too - although I keep missing the first 15 minutes of it every time it's on tv.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Men of Honor - movie
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:57:48 PM »
I've seen the film a good few times now, I even have a copy. My accident was aboard ship and involved a rope but not really like what happened to M/Chief Brashere (who I actually have a framed photo (copy) of in my hutch. He inspires me when I start getting lazy).  The first 15 mins deal with his childhood as a sharecroppers son.

I have worked on boats when ropes parted while under strain and if anyone or anything was in the way the rope they would have been killed or maimed. In winter we would break maybe 4-5 while trying to stay next to the pier during rough seas. In my accident a junior crewman had untied a mooring rope without the captains knowledge while mooring and before the crewman had it retied the captain unknowingly put the engines ahead and the boat started to pull away from the pier. I went back to help him tie the rope but then had him leave and I took his place entirely. With all the rope strewn about the deck I made a novice mistake and stood in the bight of the rope (a loop of rope on the deck). Pure foolish. The loop was pulled up my leg and by the time I noticed it was mid-calf. When I saw it I tried to jump off the boat but it caught me and pulled my leg up against the bollard (a short large steel pole we tie our mooring rope to) and crushed it a few times.
I then kept the leg for a two weeks when they amputated. .
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.