Author Topic: new legs  (Read 3448 times)

Offline JClark

• View Profile
new legs
« on: June 15, 2010, 07:37:33 AM »
Yesterday morning I got to try on my new legs.  After a few adjustments to the feet I was able to stand pretty well.  And even walk.  We shot a short video of me walking in the parallel bars and it's clear to see the left leg is more experienced, it walked very smoothly.  The right one was pretty good - especially for the first time!

My leg guy was amazed that I could walk without holding the bars on my first day.

I can pick up the right leg next week, they will adjust an old left leg to match the height.  Then I get the new left leg on the 28th.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
Re: new legs
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 12:40:39 PM »
Congrats, Jason:

Walking without holding the bars on the first day ..... amazing.  Keep up the good work.

Sen us a link to the video.  This would be worth seeing.   :)
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »
I uploaded it to YouTube:

Updated link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNcgeGpH_wE

This version of the video is still there, but not for long.  Had to do a small edit on the movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rokrh6dKG6U
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 04:39:12 PM by JClark »
North-East Pennsylvania

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 09:19:57 PM »
Great video!  You did really well.  I think I have more of a limp than you do an I have one good leg.  Good job.  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 10:42:04 AM »

Cool, Jason   8)

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 03:07:14 PM »
Ah, Jason:

That runway looks so very familiar.  I've walked it many times.  Gotta admit, I never did it so well as you on the first day.  You're lookin' mighty fine.

I'm curious, what kind of feet are you using?  I'm using Talux made by Ossur, but they're several years old.  There's newer models out now.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 03:56:02 PM »
I can't see the video just yet (my broadband is out) but I'll see it when I can. Either way, well done!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 09:33:06 PM »
I never did it so well as you on the first day.  You're lookin' mighty fine.

what kind of feet are you using?  I'm using Talux made by Ossur, but they're several years old.  There's newer models out now.

Thanks Dick.  I will admit, I was pretty nervous about walking.  People (Like Cameron) kept telling me it'd be like falling off a log.  But I was trying to be "concerned" and "optimistic" instead of frightened and terrified and negative.  I was amazed (and Ken a little peeved) that I didn't hold on to the railing much.  :)  I was very impressed with how well it went.

At first, the left leg was as smooth and natural as always.  Then an adjustment by Ken and it was as hard as the right one, or worse.  So we adjusted it back.  Other than a little toe drag on the right, and a little pressure spot we worked on, the right is pretty amazing.

As for feet - the foot is the Soleus by College Park Ind.  Ken has had George F. up on one for a while and he liked it.  I liked them as a pair.  It's got good motion, and is supposed to be similar to the Reflex VSP I've had for 2 years.  But it's much lighter.  It also has silver or gold tone metal at the top of the foot.  And the shell comes in Caucasian, negroid and coal black.  I went for the gold tone and dark black foot shell.

Ask me nice Monday night and maybe I'll let you walk a bit on my new foot.  :)

Jason
North-East Pennsylvania

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 07:49:22 AM »
Hi Jason - watched your video. You are doing great!  Watch that new stump closely for sores. Last thing you want to do now is rush and damage those incisions. Last year after some revision surgery, I got back on my prosthesis too soon and ended up having to go back to surgery to get the incision sewn up again. Herb

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 02:58:56 PM »
Love the video.  Great job walking!! 
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 07:38:29 AM »
I wore them most of yesterday, but that doesn't mean I was walking much.  But it felt good to get walking!  I'm taking it very slow with walking and checking for sores and skin problems.  Short distances are a real workout though!
North-East Pennsylvania

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 09:50:52 AM »
glad to hear that you are getting along okay, got mine and am breaking in a set of FLEX FEET, and am having a bit of a problem getting used to them, they have more movement than my last pair of feet, but i can walk a bout a mile with them now but wind up taking my chair with me so that i can set down a couple of times, but can say one thing he did a bang up job on the sockets agian this time and it only took two sets of test sockets this round. So hang in there and you will make it, takes a while for everything to heal and fall into place.
you-all have a great day.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 04:08:20 PM »
Guess I was mistaken...thought you were getting Echelon feet this time.  Good luck on the Flex ones.   :)

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 02:03:01 AM »
Damn, I think I overdid it on Wednesday.  Thursday I tried to be a little more cautious.  But I twisted something in my back trying to get my legs on Thursday morning.  I have a history of back problems.  It's amazing how difficult it is to put on two legs at once.  Damn this can be real hard!  I did get up and walk Thursday, but it wasn't as fun and comfortable as it was on Tuesday or Wednesday.  I know it will get better.  I know there will be good days and bad days.  Thursday was a "less good" day.

A DAK friend of mine told me once that for him, walking used about 60% to 70% more energy than when he had two real legs.  I don't know how to measure this, but walking with two prosthetics is taking LOTS more energy than I ever thought.  Walking on one prosthetic for the past few years has given me a head start, an idea of what, where, how, etc.  But nothing really prepared me for how this works.

I think it's hurting me a bit that one foot is an old SACH kinda foot and the other is a new one.  But Monday I'll get a new left with a foot to match what I'm using on the right.  The other thing making this difficult is I've already had to start adding sox and a few pads to the socket.  I'm going back to check in for socket adjustments and to get my new left leg.  That should help.

On the plus side, I've been "thinking" about making something - a simple wooden platform to make it just a bit easier to get up on the toilet and into the tub when I'm not wearing legs.  So I stopped at Home Depot, described what I was looking for.  Then told the guy what I was planning to build and why.  (Sometimes explaining it all to someone else gives them a chance to come up with an idea I'd never thought about.)  He described a slightly more complex way of building it, and as a bonus, "it'll be less expensive".  I countered with "it's beyond my abilities to do it that way" and he said "give us 15 minutes while you continue to shop."  They built it for me.  I just had to pay for it, take it home and try it out. It's just a simple platform, about 18" by 8" and up from the floor about 4".  They cut all the wood, screwed it together, it's a solid little platform!  He didn't have his name on his orange apron, but I got it from someone else and plan to call his boss and give him a big "THANK YOU!".

The thing that makes all of this work for me - even at it's worse this week, I'm better off because I don't have that horrible pain in my feet anymore.
North-East Pennsylvania

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 10:11:54 PM »
Yeah, i took it easy on Friday and did some walking.  Feeling better now.  Definetely overdid it the other day.
North-East Pennsylvania