Author Topic: QUIET ?  (Read 3357 times)

Offline ann

• View Profile
QUIET ?
« on: May 05, 2010, 11:32:07 AM »

My gosh its quiet on here... ;)

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
Re: QUIET ?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 07:57:34 PM »
that's good.  if no one has anything to complain, that's really good. ^^  it means everyone is doing real well with their prosthetics and has no ambulatory problems.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »
Ann:

I guess it means we're all out making our mark on the world.

Or ......... we're all snoozing.

Reminds me of a cute cartoon of Snoopy lying on the floor, ears spread out, thinking "No sense doing a lot of barking if you don't have anything to say".

Dick Stevens
dbka in pa
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 10:45:19 AM »
Hi Ann - I do not like to complain so I rarely talk about my difficulties. Spring is a very busy time for me so I tend to overdo it. We had some very hot weather here recently and I did far too many outdoor projects, got a bit overheated, developed a blister on my residual leg that got infected and swollen and now I can not wear my prosthesis so now I am back on crutches waiting for the swelling to go down and the blister to heal. I easily get frustrated and a bit angry trying to do my usual routine on crutches. Did you ever try climbing a ladder to get to a hay loft or carrying bales of hay on crutches. I have to throw them over and over to get them to where I feed my animals.  Hope all is well with you. Herb

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 11:36:51 AM »
Herb:

With this farming work, you've got to be one of the most active amputees I know.  It's good you can do all that, but DO take care and pace yourself.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 03:49:28 PM »
Hi Ann - I do not like to complain so I rarely talk about my difficulties. Spring is a very busy time for me so I tend to overdo it. We had some very hot weather here recently and I did far too many outdoor projects, got a bit overheated, developed a blister on my residual leg that got infected and swollen and now I can not wear my prosthesis so now I am back on crutches waiting for the swelling to go down and the blister to heal. I easily get frustrated and a bit angry trying to do my usual routine on crutches. Did you ever try climbing a ladder to get to a hay loft or carrying bales of hay on crutches. I have to throw them over and over to get them to where I feed my animals.  Hope all is well with you. Herb

I'm fine Herb...my new leg is coming right along.  It has a soft flex knee and really low cut ~ so I have an easier time bending my knee.  I also had a blister this winter that was infected....had to take two rounds of antibiotic...took about a month to get it all healed up.  Mostly my fault...should have gone to the Dr. when it swelled instead of waiting for it to heal on its own.  Have you been to the Dr. yet?  If not, better go.  This is the first time I have had to have meds to heal any up though.  Are you telling me you climb a ladder with crutches  ::) and carry bales of hay!!  You are my hero.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 08:43:32 AM »
I know what you mean Herb. Make hay when the sun shines as they say. I've been building stone walls, digging topsoil and stones out of a hill with pick and shovel, hanging gates...that sort of thing. In the evenings my leg is paining me and my back is screaming. Even my right hand (middle knuckle) is banjaxed.

On a prosthesis note, I mentioned before that I had a new  pin leg made with a super thin liner on the limbfitters advice. I can never wear it long and not when I'm doing any sort of work. Either the socket isn't spot on or my leg swells making it too tight. I've been onto him about sorting it out and will schedule a appointment today to see him. I called a few weeks back to order a new suspension sleeve (for my old leg) which I wear daily as I had completely destroyed it through time. He sent a new endolite sleeve free of charge as he was disappointed the new leg wasn't working out. Within 2 weeks I had already wore a small hole in it! Now, about 5 weeks later the hole is getting big. I even tried duct tape on the inside to try and keep it from being cut by the top edge of the socket but it didn't work. You'd think that when making sleeves that they would be able to reinforce the knee area! Something along the lines of when as a child my mother used to iron patches on the inside of my new jeans to keep them from wearing out so fast...
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 10:42:39 AM »
  Well all I can say is hubby & I are working on our pond...cleaning it, etc.  then we can begin all over again.  My Koi got a bacterial infection and dag~gone I lost every one of them.  Think I will be smarter this year...acouple Koi and lots of inexpensive gold fish   ;)  I do love to watch them though, seems to make everyday problems slip away for a time.  As I said in the other topic, my leg seems to be coming along fine....hope this new leg of yours gets sorted out Steve...thats no fun when it doesn't fit.  Makes you hurt all over & the older you get, the more it hurts your back JMHO

What the heck is going on in Greece...hope this doesn't happen to us...they are saying it was a mistake  ???

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 03:07:35 PM »
Hi Ann - I seem to be healing and the swelling is going down so I will not go to see the doctor. I plan to get back on my leg in 2 days. I can not carry bales of hay while on crutches. I pick up the bale and throw it usually  six to 8 feet depending on how it bounces. Sometimes they bounce back toward me and I hardly make any progress. I have gotten lazy and am now putting 10 bales on a pallet and drive the tractor out in the field and leave it with the forks up above the reach of the horses. Then I can knock one bale at a time down on the ground with a crutch. Much easier.

I have friends with Koi. We have great blue heron that will suddenly  come and wipe out all their very expensive fish in a day. I have friend who has an in ground pool that he no longer used after his kids moved away that now is home to a huge number of koi and goldfish.
Herb
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:12:11 PM by herb »

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »
Hi - Steve - sounds like you are keeping busy. It sounds like your socket is not quite right. Sometimes it only takes being a little off to make big problems. My current socket was made 2 years ago just after I went through a problem with infection and swelling. It fit perfectly when it was made, but as I started using it my residual leg lost a little more swelling and in a very short time it was way too loose. My prosthetist put a few shims between the inner and outer socket which helped a lot but it is still too big. I hate to get a new socket so soon because the copay is so high. I may go from a 3 ml liner to a 6 ml liner which may buy me some time. I just bought a new diesel pickup truck and am hoping to not spend any money on my leg for at least 2 more years. I also just got a toothache. They are always expensive.

I am not sure what banjaxed is, but if your back is screaming, you likely are not seeing your girlfriend or massage therapist often enough. Herb

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 09:44:23 AM »
Herb, if the 3ml liner or the 6 ml liner dosent help OWW has a 9 ml liner out now and i am trying a set out, and so far i have had now problems, they roll one real easy and dont wrinkle up in the back like some of the others due, got my carbon fiber sockers last week and only have one problem with them and that is the pin/lock system they want to use, it lets air out and in put am getting a whisling sound, so i taped it off and the sound has stoped some what now we thing that it is going down the tube section so they are going to put a muffer or sponge inside my tubes and see what happens, am using a o-ring on the pin and it also helps.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 01:34:47 PM »
I am not sure what banjaxed is, but if your back is screaming, you likely are not seeing your girlfriend or massage therapist often enough. Herb

Banjxed is Irish slang.
From http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/banjaxed

Adjective
banjaxed (comparative more banjaxed, superlative most banjaxed)
(British and Irish, slang) Broken, ruined, shattered.
Then it got banjaxed, at a supper party to which he brought me.- Night: A Novel. Edna O'Brien 2001

(British and Irish, slang) Tired, sleepy, cream crackered.
I'm completely banjaxed!

You're right about not seeing my girlfriend or massage therapist enough (as I have neither!) .  :(
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline frank

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 04:02:51 PM »
Steve,
Have you seen the Sleeve Saver? http://www.amputeesupplies.com/products/bk-sleeve-saver.html
I have not used them because my sleeves have something like it built in.
I would guess you could make something equivalent out of an old sock or something like that.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »
Hi Pegleg - it sounds like there is a problem with your socket if it is letting air gush out around the pin. Your prosthetist should be able to come up with something more permanent  than duct tape to stop it. My prosthetist told me that that the thicker liner will only be a temporary solution and that I really need a new socket. Hope they can get it fixed for you. Herb

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 09:47:06 PM »
Hi Steve - thanks for the definition. That is what I assumed you meant. You will have to work on that girfriend deficiency. My colt is one year old this month. He is a joy to see running around the field. I would like to get his mom bred again soon but she has not weaned him yet. Did you ever get your pony? Herb