Author Topic: Wow, Doctors taking a stab at Jesus now. hahahaha  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
Wow, Doctors taking a stab at Jesus now. hahahaha
« on: March 31, 2010, 06:27:26 PM »
"Making the blind see was once called a miracle," said Gerald Weissmann, M.D., Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal. "As we have expanded our understanding of evolution, genetics, and nanotechnology, chances are that "miraculous" cures will become as commonplace as those claimed by faith-healers past and present."

I've figured one person in particular on this forum may find this amusing. ^^

If you are interested in reading the article, just follow the link below.

Toward Making the Blind See: Gene Therapy Restores Vision in Mice

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100331141623.htm

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: Wow, Doctors taking a stab at Jesus now. hahahaha
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:44:50 PM »
Hi Genki - good article. Going blind has to be about the worst thing that could happen to someone. Hopefully they will be successful in bringing this treatment to people. My dad became blind in his later years from diabetes related degeneration of his eyes. Herb

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 01:21:56 AM »
Herb:

I won't argue with you there.  Between my bilateral BK amps and my bilateral diabetic retinopathy, I find the loss of vision more debilitating than my fake hoofs.  Since the low vision has removed my ability to drive a car safely, that is more limiting than the amputations.

In my case I have half-decent broad general vision, but the central vision is shot, which means I can't read normal-size print.  I can use a computer thanks to a 24" monitor and jacking up the options to the max.

I enjoy digital photography with a 3" LCD screen. I choose my cameras carefully for easiest to read menus and on-screen icons...and use high-powered glasses to boot.

Legally blind at 20/200 both eyes, with best possible optical correctyion.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 10:23:27 AM »
Dick, dont know if this would work for you, but have gone from trifocals to bi focals in just over a year, and  this is what i do, i make my eyes work for me, when i am out in my shop i take my glasses off when at my bench working on close item like my models, and it has improved my eye sight by doing it. Allthough i am not a diabetic(thank god for that) so it may not work for you, and my eye doctor told me to continue doing this cause a research has proven that it does work for most people. Just thought that i would pass this one to every one.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 02:43:13 PM »
Jack:

No such luck, here.

If you'tr working with the "lens" and focal length, I can see how it might help.

My main problem is with the retinas.  They have undergone multiple laser surgeries.  Individual "pixels" have been fried by the laser in order to stop bleeding and thus prevent overall blindness.  In short, we sacrificed a bunch of pixels in order to save the ballgame.

When I had cataracts replaced, the doc was very cautious to warn me not to expect miracles in improved eyesight.  Yes, I could express it in photographic terms, "Yes, I have new lenses, but still no film in the camera."

Yeah, Jack.  If I could get "new film in the camera", I believe I would need very little lens correction.

Does all this make sense?
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 02:44:51 PM »
Genki:

If those mice can get a driver's license, be sure to let me know, OK?
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 04:05:41 PM »
Hahaha Dick. That's funny.  Yeah it's sad that lot of things are possible with mice that us humans can't yet benefit from.  Scientists already know how to slow ageing in mice by using rapamycin and prevent diseases like alzheimer from occuring.  (Alzheimer is age related so by slowing the ageing process, scientists can keep alzheimer away from the test mice.)

But if you are true Christian, you should object to anything that meddles with natural life expectancy.  Why delay the day you meet your Creator?  That's just wrong.  My family physician is a devout Presbyterian and he thinks any attempt to slow ageing or prevent disease like Alzheimer should be prohibited by law since Alzheimer is part of ageing process.     

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 03:40:29 AM »
Genki:

Yes, I'm Christian.  I believe that God created all things, and gave us the intellect - and ethic - to use created things for our benefit.  As with most things, they can be used for good - or MISused for bad.

And medical advances are like all else - to be used, but not MISused.

When do we meddle and when not?  That is the ethical question.

If I had not had my amputations, I'd be dead from systemic infection.  Yes, we chose to meddle.

If I had not had laser surgery to my retinas, I'd be totally blind today.  Yep.  We chose to meddle again.

Yes, Alzheimer's is a nasty condition that usually comes later in life.  Of course, cancer is another.  And the more we conquer some of the other medical ailments, people DO live longer.

Question is, What is Quality of Life.  No simple pat answers here, are there?
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 05:18:54 PM »
Dick,

This is not my opinon but an opinion of my doctor.  He says that medicine can be used to alleviate pain, provide treatment, and prevent untimely death. 

So if cancer will cause someone to die at 40 years old, that should be addressed.  However, my Doc says that things like stem cell and regeneration does not treat illness; rather they will prolong life span by preventing age related dieseases to take their natural course.  That's just evil and anti-God.  It's like changing a worn out tire in your car.  God gave you a set when you were born.  God never intended you to replace worn out parts.  If that's what He intended, he would have given you many spares when you were born.

We are at a junction in human history where science and religion simply can't co-exist anymore.  Either you believe this earth was created by God 5,000 years ago or you don't.  There is no middle ground.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 02:41:11 AM »
Genki:

OK, then.  Maybe for you there is no middle ground.  If so, discussion  is over.

I believe that science and religion CAN and DO co-exist.  Yes, God created the world .... er .... way more than 5000 years ago.  Medical science is part of the wonderful world our God gives us - to use, to grow, to discover, and to praise God.

You and I and most everyone on this forum are beneficiaries of medical science.  Of surgeries, of drugs, of therapies, and more.  Without these medical gifts most of us here would probably be dead ... or greatly impaired.

Don't sneeze at it.  These are God's gifts to us.  Receive them with thanksgiving and joy.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 02:57:51 AM »
Genki:

No changing a flat tire on a car?  No replacement parts, eh?

Wow, I'd be in trouble.  I have two amputations, and two mechanical replacement parts we call prostheses.  I've had two clouded cataracts replaced with inanimate lenses that have improved my sight.

I've had quadruple cardiac bypass surgery, where 4 blood vessels were relocated and rerouted to restore blood flow to my heart.

Oh yes, I am an organ donor, and my license is so marked.  In case any of my organs can be of use for another person after my death, they are welcome to use them.

What is Life?  What is Quality of Life?  Just consider the possibilities God may have for us.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 07:48:38 AM »
I was always told never to walk into a pub and talk about politics or religion because you'll always end up in a argument.
But then this isn't a pub and I usually don't do what I'm told anyway so here goes.

I'm agnostic. I wasn't always agnostic and when I did believe in a higher being I believed in God and the loving bits (of the Bible) and pretty much discarded the rest. People of faith believe what they believe. One can believe in Adam and Eve, and some can believe God created the big bang. I'm sure some think medical advances are against Gods will but then some will believe that God gave us free will and knowledge in order to better ourselves. I don't see faith as black and white but completely and unequivocally grey.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 01:14:58 PM »
Dick, I think you are an atheist since you reject the fact that God created this earth 5,000 years ago.  According to the Bible, this earth was created 5,000 years ago and God created Adam and Eve.  And yes, earth is flat.   hahahaha

I am sorry Dick.  I was just bored and wanted to see how you would respond to my doctor's belief.  I wouldn't call myself atheist but I am indifferent about dieties.  Promise of 77 virgins in heaven would not turn me into a believer all of sudden. ^^  I just found my doctor's assertion (for that matter, George Bush's) that stem cell is anti-God amusing & wanted to see what you would say.

I do go to church on sunday regularly because I am afraid of social consequences of being portrayed as "non-believer."

btw, Happy Easter everyone!!!  Hope everyone had fun rolling eggs today!!!

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 06:18:50 PM »
Genki:

77 Virgins in Heaven?    Hmmm ..... so THAT'S where they all went? LOL

Thankfully, I'm not in George Bush's religious camp.  Stem Cell research ... I see some promising possibiliries.  Yep, all part of God's fantastic creation.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA