Author Topic: "Older and Around"  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
"Older and Around"
« on: March 22, 2010, 03:17:27 PM »
Yesterday I left the house for an outing that wasn't health related. Whatever it was that was ravaging my health has stopped, leaving me with my left thumb, middle finger and pinkie. Every possible application of antibiotics was used. For Whatever reason it came, it also left. It could be diabetic complications or some strange VooDoo curse I picked up in Bora Bora. I'll never know. Regardless, I want to thank you for your help and opinions.
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: "Older and Around"
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 04:07:11 PM »
Hi Joe - glad to hear you are better and getting around now. I have been fighting infections every several  years for the last 40 years and I never know what is going to bring them on. Usually it is from a minor injury. Last winter I got one on the end of my stump that would not respond to antibiotics and had to be cut out. Be well. Herb

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 04:12:56 PM »
They don't know what it was? Anyway its good to hear that the voodoo left and you're able to get out and about. Did it take two fingers on the left hand? I am sorry to hear that. I would think losing the thumb would have been horrible.

As a Hawaiian at least you can still give the 'shaka' and if the need arises you can still give someone the finger.
(Just trying to help you smile Joe...)

Welcome back.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 08:58:42 PM »

Joe, its sooo good to hear from you...I missed you & your kooky look on things that happen to you.  Glad you are better..You say you are older & around...have a birthday recently?  If so, was a good time had by all.  :)

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 01:15:01 AM »
Hi, Joe:

So good to hear from you.  Sounds like you're having way too many "medical adventures" for one guy.  But, I'm glad to see you're starting to get out and around.

Were you like me, hibernating during some of those wild snow storms a few weeks ago?  Our condo association plows us out and does a great job - even clearing the proch and front steps.  But, unril they get around to us, we're truly hibernating in the house.  Now that I'm (mostly) retired, that's usually no big deal.  I guess you had plenty of the white stuff up there in G'ville, eh?

The Grundsow (aka groundhog) sure called it right this time.  But now, the bright spring weather is here. (OK, so it's raining at the moment.)
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:34:08 AM »
Great to hear you're back!  Keep well.  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 02:19:29 PM »
"older and Around" is a line from a Kristofferson song from long ago called, "the Pilgrim" It has haunted me all my life.

I did have a birthday but I was in surgery at the time. No one noticed until a week or so later. I was also in the hospital when the blizzard hit. Hospital employees were ferried to and from work by the fire company. From my bed, I looked out the window and thought the curtains were closed. It was pure white. I was kept an extra day until the roads were passible

I try to get up now every day instead of wasting away in bed. I don't get far but theres no place to go if I did. I have to be careful about spending. The income just isn't there like it was. Maybe things will pick up in the spring.
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline stinker373

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 11:43:49 PM »
Hope all goes well for you and things get better..

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 01:37:13 AM »
Hi, Joe:

Just checking in to see how you're doing.  Good to hear you're up and outta bed every day.  I find that's a good sign.  Up, and shower, and join the world ... even if it's from your house.

I know that *I* need that, just getting up and about ... and out as much as possible.  Keeping the "juices rolling", so to speak. 

We're in the midst of "spring cleaning" .... a case of "Jettison the Junk".  Our kids are taking a few good things ..... some to donations ..... some to the shredder .... and some to the curb on trash day.

It always feels nice to get the taxes out of the way.  Ahh!  They do have a way of making a simple task unbelievably complicated, don't they?
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 09:53:19 AM »
Whatever it is, it's back. With a fury of course. I will have to have the middle finger removed on Thursday as an outpatient. This will leave me with a thumb and a pinky. This way I can still scratch my ear or my butt.

Did you talk to our friend?

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 11:55:23 AM »

Joe, what are your numbers on your diabetic condition?  Mine seem to be higher in the morning....then go down after breadfast.  Are you on insulin; pills or both?   Have they got you on a special diet?

Look back & read what 'Steve' told you....now you won't be able to do that  ;)  I hope there is a way to save the other fingers.  Keep us informed....

I have a pond in my back yard full of fish {Koi} hope to get a picture & put it on line for you to see.  I am still in the process of cleaning it out after winter...still have some flowers to plant....you know,  still have alot of work to do on it.  You may be older but all of your friends here are too.  Have a great Sunday.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 10:26:07 PM »
Joe:

Sorry to hear that "IT" is back again, and that you must lose another finger.  Did you say left hand?  I hope you're not a "southpaw".  Well, as long as you have a thumb and one opposing finger, you've got something to work with, right?

Keeping you in my prayers, mate.  Hoping all goes well Thursday, and that this nasty stuff leaves you alone here on out.

Well, at least we got rid of all that snow.  The weather's been rather delightful around these parts lately, eh?  I hope you can get out and enjoy it.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 01:04:46 PM »

Joe, haven't heard anything out of you for awhile.....IT hasn't returned has it.  I hope you have been getting healthy again.  Let us know how things are.   ;)

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 10:40:49 PM »
Joe:

Another curious soul here, mate.  How're you doing?

We're faring pretty well here.  In the midst of a massive spring house-cleaning.  Otherwise, fairly unmeventful.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA