Author Topic: freedom innovations runway foot shell ?  (Read 5213 times)

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
freedom innovations runway foot shell ?
« on: March 13, 2008, 02:02:23 PM »
Hi All,
This is my first time posting on the new forum, is it my imagination or is the new forum not as busy as the old forum - maybe it just seems that way because there are more categories.  The new forum definitely has a nice new look.

I am in the final stages of getting a new socket with a new Freedom Runway adjustable ankle foot, I got my first look at the foot yesterday and first off was a little bit shocked at the weight of the foot but I am pretty strong and feel I will be able to adjust to the weight quickly.

The other thing that really jumped out at me was how ugly the foot shell was - very narrow with some very strange looking toes (second toe in was way longer than the big toe).  I am hoping that someone here may know what the male foot shell looks like, mainly whether the foot shell is any wider on the mens foot.  I  have quite a wide foot naturally and with only having the one foot nowadays it has spread even more so.

The ideal person to talk to would have been Marcus Boren as I believe he works at Freedom Innovations but I can't find any contact info for him.  I did see a thread regarding the foot shell on the HM site but for some reason the site won't recognize me so I am unable to post a question, hopefully someone here will have some experience with this foot.

anne

teo

Re: freedom innovations runway foot shell ?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 02:38:42 PM »
I've changed my computer (yet again) & I had a hell of time finding this site because old DB was gone.  Because the web designer got rid of the old DB, the site won't come up on google anymore.  JC - what the hell is wrong with peeps these days.  Freedom Innovation can't name it's new knee, this website getting rid of its most valuable asset.... tsk, tsk, tsk.

I noticed that Joe A. is no longer part of this website.  I bet that old geezer still can't find the website. hahaha

But seriously, so many people lost contact and there is no way for them to find the website anymore.  Perhaps Michael doesn't realize what doesn't come up on google doesn't exist on internet.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 03:59:13 PM »
Hi Teo - I just googled amputee treatment center and found the forum on the first hit. Herb

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 04:36:59 PM »
Anne, I can't comment on your particular foot, but the problem with making an artificial foot look the same as a real foot, is the fact that the real foot spreads when load bearing, whereas the artificial one can't. The artificial one also has to fit inside a shoe. When a real foot goes into a shoe, it complies to the shape of the shoe, an artificial one can't change it's shape for the shoe. So the footshell about which you speak, is likely to have been made to fit the shoe, rather than look like your other, real, foot when bare.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 05:01:51 PM »

I noticed that Joe A. is no longer part of this website.  I bet that old geezer still can't find the website. hahaha

He is, look again...

Offline naseigfried

• Me on the right with Theron, my great legman. RIP
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 07:49:30 AM »
Anne, I use the Renegade by Freedom and have the same ugly footshell. I was told that they use a real person's foot to mold these shells. Just keep a sock on it as the foot is great.
LBK since April 2004

Offline Jeff Jester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 11:28:39 AM »
I also have a wide foot and every shell I have ever had has been narrow. It is probably as oneblueleg said about fitting in the shoe. If you don't like the toe sticking out so far, you can always trim it back a little. I have put the knife to more then one of my feet, but I don't really care what they look like as long as they fit into the shoe(s).
Jeff

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 12:36:40 AM »
Yes, I see what you all are saying and I guess I should be more concerned about the mechanics of the foot rather than the esthetics, ha ha it's just that as I am about to pick up the new complete socket next week and if I want to make any changes now is the time to do it, if you know what I mean.  When I googled the foot shell I ended up finding a thread on the HM web site, I think it may have been Ally from South Africa that may have been one of the responders and they were saying how ugly the shell was and how the mens shell was wider but had no split toe which is fine with me as I don't plan on wearing flip flops any time soon.  I tried to sign in so I could ask some questions but it has been years since I used the HM site and they don't recognize me as a member plus it says they are not excepting any new registrations at the time - weird?

I have read quite a few mixed reviews on the runway foot, some say too heavy, some say it is really springy, my cp is concerned with the weight of the foot and how I will manage it, I have a fairly short stump, I think around 3 inches max, but I have pestered him to death to at least let me have a trial period with the new foot.  I don't have any dreams of wearing stiletto high heals or anything like that I am just fed up with trying to find new shoes with the exact same heal set up as the pair I get the new socket set up with.  At the moment I am wearing crocs and if feels like I have had crocs on for years and am due for a change, I have actually worn crocs thru 2 winters now even when the weather hit -40 with 2 pairs of socks on! lol

I have been trying to find the specs on both the Runway foot and the Talux foot which is what I currently wear to see if I can compare the weight but cannot seem to find this kind of info by googling it, does anyone happen to know how to find this lind of info?

anne

Offline frank

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 04:05:35 PM »
Anne,
If you scroll to the bottom of this page you'll see the weight specs for all of the Freedom feet.
http://www.freedom-innovations.com/resources/Product_Order_Form.pdf

The weight on the Runway is not too different from the other feet. On the other hand if you look at the profile of the foot it looks a lot like a symes foot with a hinge in top. You may be giving up some energy return to get the hinge feature.

I've had Freedom feet for a few years now. The original footshells were wider and were actually a pain to get into a shoe. The new narrower ones are much easier.

The Renegade has worked well for me as a performance foot.

Offline ginger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 10:25:17 AM »
Anne,

I know what you are talking about.  I am disappointed with the foot covers.  I have a wide and large (size 11) foot.  I have to add extra socks to have my shoe fit properly.  I am very tall for a woman 6'1" and NOT light.  I wish they would make a more natural looking cover.  I like to wear sandles, so I am hoping that by summer I can get a tter matching foot.

I do know about the elongated toe.  I have a condition thats called Mortons toe.  my second toe is about 3/4" longer than my big toe. 

Hope that you get a better cover.
Ginger Henneberger
38 YO  Strykersville, NY
injury 8/28/02
R AKA 8/07
Still recovering, but doing great

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 04:28:06 PM »
'anne' I have just had a new prosthesis made w/the freedom runway..personally I like the split-toe foot.  I have a very narrow foot & now I can wear shoes that will fit my good foot.  No. I agree that it isn't that pretty & it is a very weird white color...I have an olive complection so I have a hard time when I have my cosmetic covering added; I just try to get something that won't look too much off color.

Like the others have said, this is the first foot I've had that really goes on easily.  Yes Ally was talking abt. it and I think if you try HMM again you will be able to get on...they were changing the web-site.

Have a Happy Easter & good luck in deciding which cover you want.
 ;)
ann

snowbear

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 01:03:50 PM »
I like the split toe too. If I choose to I can wear open toe shoes. Which I have nerve done all my life due to t leg brace..I still haven't but I feel I have the option some day!