Author Topic: Amputee Soldiers Tackle Arctic Challenge  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Amputee Soldiers Tackle Arctic Challenge
« on: March 19, 2010, 07:11:28 AM »
Amputee Soldiers Tackle Arctic Challenge

Four soldiers who all lost limbs in war zones are aiming to become the first ever amputees to walk unaided to the North Pole.

The team will trek 400 gruelling miles across the Arctic Circle whilst dragging 100kg sleds in an expedition that is being backed by Prince Harry.
Captain Martin Hewitt, Lieutenant Guy Disney, Marine Matthew Kingston and Rob Copsey were selected from 100 wounded servicemen and ex-servicemen who applied to take part in the trip.

Three of them were wounded in Afghanistan and are still serving in the military.

Lt Disney of the Light Dragoons lost a leg after being hit by a rocket-propelled grenade, Captain Hewitt of the Parachute Regiment suffered gunshot wounds severing all nerves to his right arm, and Marine Kingston, of the Royal Marines, lost a leg after being shot.

The fourth team member is an ex-Royal Engineer Rob Copsey, who joined the military at 16 and served in the First Gulf War and Rwanda, where he lost his lower right leg after treading on a land mine.

It's going to show employers that if you've lost a limb you're still capable of doing any job.
Former soldier Rob Copsey, who lost a leg in Rwanda
"It's the ultimate challenge," he said of the expedition.
"All schoolboys hear about Scott of the Antarctic and those sort of trips.
"This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity so I'm grabbing it by the horns and going for it."
Rob is now training seven days a week.
His regime includes dragging a home-made "sled", consisting of three roped-together tyres, along Dover's pebble beach.
He told Sky News his only real fear is frostbite.
When wind chill is accounted for, the men will face temperatures as low as -80C.
Other challenges will be polar bears and hostile, unpredictable terrain.

Prince Harry backs the expedition
"The North Pole is 90% a mental challenge and 60% physical," said respected Arctic guide and expedition leader Inge Solheim.
"One hundred per cent isn't enough. You have to give it 150%."
Rising to the challenge is nothing new for Rob.
After losing his leg he has run multiple marathons, skied in the Alps, and taken up skydiving.
Prince Harry is attending The Rifles Club in London to help launch the expedition in aid of Walking With The Wounded, an organisation that helps rehabilitate wounded ex-service people.
The Prince said: "This polar adventure will exemplify the tenacity and courage of those who serve in uniform."
"It's going to show employers that if you've lost a limb you're still capable of doing any job," said Rob, who now works as a customs officer.
"It's a state of mind. If you've got a strong mind, if you've got a strong support network of family and friends, you can do anything."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Former-British-Soldiers-Aim-To-Become-First-Amputees-Trek-To-North-Pole-Unaided/Article/201003315577025?lpos=UK_News_First_UK_News_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15577025_Former_British_Soldiers_Aim_To_Become_First_Amputees_Trek_To_North_Pole_Unaided

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: Amputee Soldiers Tackle Arctic Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 11:58:26 AM »

Good article Steve.  BTW do you still have your donkeys??  What is the weather like in Ireland right now.   :)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Yes, I still have the donkeys. A jack and grown mare and a mare foal. The foal is nearly grown now though. The mare may be pregnant so I may hear the clip clop of little hooves later in the year.
The weather has been a mixed bag. We've had a few really nice days and today was fairly dry but chilly too. Not too bad, no complaints.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 09:48:24 AM »
this is all great, but i only see amp'a that have one or both legs to stand on, dont see any bilat's, like tohe one that climbed MT EVEREST. THAT TIME
you-all have a great day.

Offline stinker373

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 11:38:34 PM »
Hi Jack, I have been rather busy bk to doing the music scene.  Do you konw what type of amputees are if they are bk's or ak's?

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 10:04:50 AM »
stinker, l looked for the articale and couldnt find it agian but remember that most of them were single BKA's and a couple of upper amputee's, and that most or all of them were from the BRITISH military.
you-all have a great day.