Author Topic: Internet buzzing w claim of 'Regrow limbs'  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
Internet buzzing w claim of 'Regrow limbs'
« on: March 17, 2010, 09:16:29 AM »
I got e-mails & tweets from my friends and associates telling me how scientists have discovered a way to regrow limb by turning off gene p21.

http://www.physorg.com/news187879295.html

I've followed MRL mice story for years. Turning off gene p21, at the most, will regrow fingers or toes (maybe even a hand or foot) on human based on MRL mice model.  It will not regrow limb.

Yes, it seems the scientists have reached a mile stone in regenerative medicine discovery and the potential of this discovery is huge.  However, I think the claim of regrowing limb is blown out of proportion and misleading.

I hope nobody falls for any investment oportunity scheme or other schemes that will arise out of this discovery.  It will be decades before this discovery passes the scrutny of FDA.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Internet buzzing w claim of 'Regrow limbs'
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:14:29 AM »
GENKI, It just may surprize you on how many desperate people will fall for  this and spend a lot of money on something that hasnt been completely proven out to work, i have been following it also, but dont think it will happen in my lifetime, so i am not to thrilled about it, am more ineressted in us getting a bionic person, which is coming faster than regrowing our limbs. wish it was true cause i just found out that i had shrunk 3/4 of an inch on my stumps yesterday in one year and have to have new sockets made.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 03:40:45 PM »
All this talk about regrowing limbs and bionics is interesting.  Sure, the practical results may be decades or generations away.  At my age, I'm surely not holding my breath.  BUT, every little baby-step in the development of medical science brings us a wee bit closer, eh?

Hey, I could use a nice high-resolution retina transplant. LOL  No such luck.  Maybe in time for my great-grandchild .... or that one's grandchild.

Meanwhile, I hope nobody's falling for any get-rich-quick schemes based on this stuff.  In today's crazy Market, ya better think twice before investing a pile in anything.

Happy St Patty's Day.  Don't take any investment blarney, ya hear?
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 09:37:20 PM »
Interestingly, tuesday's hottest stock was BTIM (Bio Time, Inc).  Supposedly, the company figured out a way to reverse ageing/aging if you can believe that. LOL

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100316-713351.html?mod=rss_Hot_Stocks

Offline tbrbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 05:26:40 PM »
Hate to throw water on the parade but reading the comments is perhaps more informative that the article.  According to one of the posters - Panda by name who read the actual report - limb regeneration was tried and failed as part of the experiment.  It is noted that this includes the regeneration of digits - fingers and toes.  As much as I would like my toes back, this ain't going to do.

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 06:36:48 PM »
Remember not long ago the big thing was osseointegration? No socket needed. Who wouldn't want one
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 08:20:39 PM »
Prosthetics and other treatments for amputees are making progress all the time.  I remember that just few years ago, amputees on this forum were complaining how they couldn't wear anything but tennis shoes.  Well, thanks to products like self-adjusting eschelon ankle, wearing heeled shoes or boots is no big deal now.

The new c-leg, (which will become available to general public in 2011) allows AK to walk and run w/o having to change leg.  MAS socket is another innovation most AKs can't live without now.

Currently, there are two different powered & computerized ankle that are about to hit the market.  I remember how Ossur's proprio was such a big deal just few years ago.

Scientists are able to make organs such as bladder & windpipe out of stem cells & they are working on "printing" out more complex organs.  Yeah, they are actually developing printers that will eventually print out hearts and livers & all kinds of other organs.    That was simply unthinkable just ten years ago. 

I see more developments taking place in next ten years than past hundred years.  The CPU in my cell phone is more powerful than the most powerful super computer of the 1970s. 

Like it or not, Kurzweil's Singularity will happen.   

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 12:12:49 AM »
Genki:

All these scientific developments are awesome, to say the least.

As a bilateral BK amp, these fancy ankles interest me.

But frankly, I woundn't mind my present BK fake hoofs, but could really use a pair of high-resolution replacement retinas.

Wel......I'm not holding my breath on that one.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 02:39:04 AM »
Well, Dick.  You keep talking about retinal regeneration as some sort of wishful sci-fi stuff that will never happen in your life time.

I saw it either in Discovery Channel or BBS documentary but matter of fact, there are few companies that can build retinas (at least partially) using stem cells.  I think NHK (Japanese broadcast company) aired a story of one Japanese comapany that's building retinas also.  CNN did a story of a blind lady who gained her sight after such procedure last month, I think.

I googled on the subject and I find that one US company is in its 2nd Pre-Clinical Phase already.  (That means it's awfully close to clinical phase.)

http://www.i-newswire.com/international-stem-cell-corporation/27749

So Dick, don't hold your breath.  It's happening already.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 04:47:31 PM »
Genki:

I may be asking for the moon.  As it is, I have a fair amount pf usable sight. e.g. I can use a computer -- with a 24" screen and all options jacked up as big as possible - and then some.

But with vision at 20/200 or worse in both eyes - with all possible optical correction, I can't drive a car.  I need HIGH-RES retinas that can get me enough vision for a driver's license, which I think is 20/40 in my state.

The artificial retina attempts I've seen sop far are very rudimentary - barely more than distinguishing dark from light.  Yes, it's a start - but far from usanle in my case.

Hmm.  Maybe in time for my grand-daughter when she gets old and losing her sight, eh?
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Genki_rockets

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 05:53:39 PM »
No, the ISCO is not building an artificial retinas but regenerating the natural retina using stem cell. 
Maybe it's hard for you to read the actual article that I've hyperlinked above.

From what I am reading, their goal is to rescue vison for senior citizens who suffer from age-related macular degeneration (AMD).

Who knows how many more years before the technology becomes available to us?  But my understanding is that retinal regeneration is regarded as one of the early potential stem cell applications.  Basically, they will start making retinas before making other more complex organs.

Only thing I can say is that having a positive perspective on life doesn't cost anything.   Due to trauma, my fibula bone on my right leg was completely removed 4 yrs. ago.  I've always wondered if the bone would ever grow back.  Somehow, I had this crazy feeling that my fibula would grow back.  Well, my orthopedic surgeon just laughed at me and told me that it won't happen in a million year. 

I took an X-ray last week.  It shows my fibula had completed grown back.  I am no young kid.  I am in my 40s.  My surgeon can't believe what he has seen.  LOL

If you believe in something bad enough, it will happen.  Well, that's what I believe. ^^

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 10:30:11 AM »
I know that this is a little off topic, but have improve muy eye sight by just doing this, when i am working on small close work like my models, my glasses get taken off and laid back out of the way, and i make my eyes work and since i started doing that i have gone from tri-focals to bi-focals, i have been told that wearing glasses makes your eys lazy.

I do relized that they are other problems and we do need something like ths to happen, but feel that i wont be around to see it happen, so i go with what i have and do a little dreaming from time to time.
you-all have a great day.