Author Topic: Silent Forum  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
Silent Forum
« on: February 18, 2010, 02:37:51 AM »
Hey folks:

The silence is deafening.  Not a peep from anyone for 4 days, and counting.

Was everyone buried by the snow in the Northeast?   Hibernating?

Busy with Mardi Gras?   Transfixed by the Winter Olympics?

Reminds me of a cartoon of Snoopy, years ago, lying relaxed on the ground, ears outspread, "No sense doing alot of barking if you don't have anything to say."
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Silent Forum
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 09:00:05 AM »
I have been watching a bit of the winter olympics. But not much. Its on very late over here. When do the winter paralympics start?

Here are the mascots. The paralympic mascot is the bird/bear thing with the three coned hat called Sumi. I'm sure the kids will like it.

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:48:50 AM »
don't know about the rest of the others that haven't showed up in a long time, i pop in every morning just to read whats on and then i am busy doing other things, like right now i am in the process of remodelling my wife big kitchen and get up early to work on it, have got over 27 doors and 22 drawers to strip and redo, we are restoring it to its original condition, am stripping five coats of paint of off oak veneer doors and solid oak drawer fronts. and the frame is make out of oak also, and then i have had other personall problems that have taken up  my time so i don't spend to much time on the computer.
you-all have a great day.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 01:34:53 PM »
It's February and we're all hiding until spring.  Everytime you look out the widow it's snowing.  I have to say we've been luckier than other parts of the country, the big storms have missed us.  Hope you are well and enjoying all your snow!  Annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 01:38:50 PM »
Like Jack, I pop in to see that no one has posted now and then... I've been an amp for so long I don't have many questions, I look as much as anything to see if I can answer less experienced amputees queries, if there aren't any I don't have much to say... clearly    ;D

Well done for provoking some activity at least Dick, at least we know now that some of us are still alive!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:40:29 PM by Oneblueleg »

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 09:29:01 PM »
I watch the winter olympics every night....we get it from 8:00 to around 11;00.  The US is doing really well so far.

From what I can tell, we are not the only forum that is very quiet....maybe a new subject will surface in the near future. :)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:48:43 PM »
Hi Dick - I have been in VanCouver for the last 10 day and have not looked at the site. Weather has been great out there. Mid 50s and sixties and sunny every day. While away I only check my email on my phone and do not surf the web much. Herb

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 09:25:08 AM »
Herb:

In Vancouver?  At the Olympics?  It must have been quite an experience.  Tell us more.

We've had our snow here in Philly.  Expecting some more in the next day or two.  Snow - snow - but none of the excitement of Vacouver.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 04:39:44 PM »
I feel so sorry for the gal that skated last night.....she lost her mother due to a massive heart attack.  I would love to see her win a medal.  Love to watch the skating...the little gal from Korea{?} is so good & not very old.  She is the one that practices in Vancouver & they said everyone treats her like a queen.

OK Dick, are we watching C-span tomorrow concerning the Health Care Bill????  I will be glued to the TV...then we'll talk.   OK    ;)

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 10:43:11 AM »
Hi Dick - I go to BC yearly because I have family in the area. I got to love the area when I was a student at the university of washington. We had planned to go to few of the outdoor olympic events but the schedule kept changing due to poor conditions and we ended up skipping them. We had a great time doing other things. The weather and scenery were great. It was spring there and it was nice to see all the flowers in bloom. Herb

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 02:57:20 PM »
Herb:

We visited BC several years ago - a little side trip from our trip to Tacoma WA.  We went over the border for just a couple of days to San Juan Island and Victoria.  The museum with First Nations' displays was fascinating.  We drove around a few miles north of Victoria, just exploring, and stumbled on a Canadian prison on the coast.  Er.... we decided not to stay.  We realize that this was one very tiny corner of BC, but enjoyed even that bit.

Then, back in the US, we visited an Indian reservation on the very NW tip of land in WA, and saw their little museum, too.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 09:54:17 PM »
Hi Dick - I lived in Tacoma for a few years and north of seattle for five years back in the 1970s. I absolutely love the area. I do not think that anywhere else in our country you can  experience so many totally different environments with so short travel. On summer days when the temp was in the 90s we would go boating and swimming  on Puget sound to cool off or go have a picnic sitting on a glacier with alpine flowers at our our feet and incredible views of the mountains and the sound. I will be going back again this summer with my youngest son when he gets out of school.  Herb

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 12:49:51 PM »
In other words you have moved from one side of our great country to the other.  Do you like where you are now? :)

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 10:05:19 PM »
Hi Ann - I do love it here. New Hampshire is beautiful and I love my place. As much as I love the pacific northwest, I doubt that I could give up my home. My children are in Boston, Texas, Seattle, and NH.
I want to be close to them all, but have to settle for traveling often. My prosthetist is in NH and I wouldn't ever want to make a change so I am probably going to stay in NH but it is nice to dream about living elsewhere. I also lived in Southern Ohio for a long time and got my first degree at Ohio State. I still have land on the Ohio river in Meigs county and liked living there and taught school for a number of years but  I moved away from Ohio for better pay. Herb
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:13:45 PM by herb »

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 01:21:20 AM »
Hi, Herb:

You DO get around.  And I agree there are many fine places  to live in this broad land.  I grew up in the Boston area and Cape Cod, and now live in Philly area.  Have a niece in NH, another in Seattle.  Happily, our own adult kids and granddaughter are near us here in PA.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA