Author Topic: Agility microporcessor knee - What a Blunder lmao ^^  (Read 5020 times)

teo

Agility microporcessor knee - What a Blunder lmao ^^
« on: March 12, 2008, 03:43:49 PM »

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: Agility microporcessor knee - What a Blunder lmao ^^
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 05:42:30 AM »
omg, what the hell are they doing? ^^  Wasting tens of thousands of dollars keep printing brochures with different product names.  lmao. 

Very amusing, so who do you think will eventually pay that money? do you think it's Freedom, out of the goodness of their hearts?

Serious question because I'm genuinely interested, what would you suggest as an alternative teo? Surely the knee needs a name of some sort, if only to distinguish it from any other knee.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:37:39 AM »
Isn't "Plie'" a French term for a particular ballet step?  Are they trying to suggest you'll be able to dance ballet with this prosthesis?  That would make it quite a remarkable product.  Does it come with a free tutu? LOL

Seems that with a qualified copyright attorney they'd come up with a patent-able name, eh?
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

teo

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 01:46:07 PM »

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 04:46:58 PM »
teo, you can only trademark a word that hasn't been trademarked previously by someone who doesn't want you to use it. Therefore it costs you thousands of dollars to find out who has trademarked what. Some companies/people trademark words just to stop anyone else using them. If you don't spend the money to do the search, later you may find just the problem Freedom have.

Either way, someone earns a few dollars

Offline Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 10:11:51 AM »
Trademarks are easy to get.  Go to the copyright office website or office, pick a name (that of course is not already trademaked) pay a fee and you have a tradmark.  The fee itself is not very much.  I have a Pump-It-Up! TM trademark for my patented Pump-It-Up socket.  Patents are completely different.  They are time consuming, expensive and may require a patent attorney and on going fees to keep active.  I have three patents on my socket so the whole process was quite an experence for me.

If anyone is ever in Washington D.C. they should visit the U.S. Patent Office, it's a neat place to see. 

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 10:34:48 AM »
It's not the trademarking that's expensive/time consuming, it's doing the searches to find out what has/has not been trademarked previously. Then doing the same job in all your target markets. All the best names are either gone, or mean something rude/offensive or completely unrelated in another language.
You're right, it's got nothing to do with Patents.

teo

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 02:00:07 AM »
blueleg,

I actually have inside scoop on Freedom Innovations.  Freedom got sued because it did not bother doing the research & started using the name Agility. hahaha

So yes, doing the research is expensive but not nearly as expensive as getting sued.

Freedom settled the lawsuit by paying undisclosed amount of $$.

Now only if everyone stopped calling it Agility. ^^ 
Can you hear Freedom people asking everyone to please call it a plie!!!! LOL

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 09:49:57 AM »
Wow, Teo.  You really seem to enjoy ridiculing people.   What is the point of this thread?   People make mistakes and you just can't stop talking about it.  Hmmmmmmmmmm.... maybe you should work for a tabloid newspaper!?  :D And heaven forbid you ever make a mistake and someone with your enjoyment of ridicule gets ahold of it.

Whatever it's called, I happen to think the Plie' knee is the best knee (for me) I've ever had, no matter what their legal hiccups are.

"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 11:33:06 AM »
Hi Teo - I agree with Robogirl. There is nothing funny about Freedom Innovation's mistake. They are in the business of helping us, amputees. I only wish them well with their Plie' knee. Herb

teo

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 01:19:22 AM »
Robogirl, herb, I also have Plie.  I personally think it's the best knee out there.  ten times smoother than C-leg, even faster calculation than the rheo, some CPs think it's better than the $100,000 Ossur power knee, yet costs less than the C-leg. 

waterproof, detachable battery,.. it's absolutely amaging product. 

But everyone is laughging about the name blunder.  It's especially funny to me because I practice law and when I was young, I used to work for a patent attorney.

I state in the very first posting that this knee is an awesome product.  I am not ridiculing or taunting the product.  I am sorry but due to my education and background, I simply find it VERY amusing that such blunder can be made by a multi-million dollar company.

As my CP was saying, "What the hell was Freedom thinking?" I don't know but I can tell you that mistake of this magnitude doesn't happen very often. 

Hope you understand my reason for finding this so very funny.  ;D

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 07:07:58 AM »
Hi Teo - I understand now why you found their plight so funny. I hope they get their legal problems worked out. Too bad they have now chosen such a strange name for their knee. I liked agility much better. herb

teo

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 09:17:34 PM »
Hi Teo - one of the prosthetists at the facility where I have my legs made has been using freedom's knee for 6 months. I was amazed when I saw how naturally he was walking with it. He feels it it far superior to either the c-leg or the rheo knee. He said the same engineers that developed the rheo knee designed the plie knee. he is very pleased with his. I plan to get one when my c-leg, which I am still very happy with, gives out. Herb

teo

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 11:07:30 PM »
Herb, actually rheo is an invention of Professor Hugh Herr at MIT.  Dr. Herr himself is BBK and we can thank him for introducing AI in prosthetics.  Dr. Herr was also behind development of Proprio foot.

Freedom Innovations doesn't have star researcher like Dr. Herr on its research team.  Rather, it paid close attention to existing technology and packaged it nicely.

I have to agree with your CPO, though.  Plie, in my opinion, is far superior product than C-leg or rheo.  In two to three years, I believer plie will become the new standard of AK prosthetics.