Author Topic: Special car hire in Florida?  (Read 1882 times)

Offline allen-uk

• View Profile
Special car hire in Florida?
« on: January 26, 2010, 09:09:25 AM »
Hello.

Someone has asked the following question on a UK website (I know they're not really divided by nations, but you know what I mean...) so I thought I'd ask here, as there is a lot of 'American' experience here.

I am a right leg above knee amputee and have been for the past six years now and i live in England and i am desperate for some help and i am hoping one of you guys out there might be able to help me?
We are due to visit Florida end of March 2010 to start our search for a holiday home, we will be flying into Orlando and i need to hire an automatic car that has been adapted with a left foot gas pedal, i have rang about 5 companies that advertise as being able to hire vehicles adapted to this spec, but when i contact them they know of no such vehicles, i have even rang a couple of companies that adapt vehicles to see if they could point me in the right direction regarding hire but this has drawn a blank

Any answers gratefully received (which I will pass on).

Thanks.

Allen, bka, London.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: Special car hire in Florida?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 09:33:29 AM »
Hi Allen - there are numerous left foot gas pedal adapters available. Some are for permanent installation which are relatively inexpensive and some are portable and easily moved from one vehicle to another but are more expensive. ($300-$500) They can be found on ebay. You could make an inexpensive one portable by attaching it to a plate to put on the floor of the vehicle with adhesive or velcro to a floor mat. Herb

Offline allen-uk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 11:25:27 AM »
Hello Herb.

Good to hear from you, and thanks for that, which I'll pass on.

Trouble is, she needs to HIRE a car with that adaptation when she comes over for a few weeks (it's not easy to hire disabled/adapted vehicles in the UK, either).

Allen.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 11:43:13 AM »
Hi Allen - if she is clever enough, she can buy the equipment at home and bring it in her suitcase. The equipment is very simple, small and light. I am a left above knee amputee who used to drive only manual transmission vehicles. I had a manual clutch control that I could switch from vehicle to vehicle in 2 minutes. I have since learned to drive a manual transmission without any adaptive equipment. She could also easily bring a cane and use it to control the throttle on the right side. I do that when I drive a manual car and it works great. I tend to only steer with my left hand so it is no problem to hold the cane in my right hand. Almost all trucks and cars now have cruise control which gives me chances to relax my right arm. Herb
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:34:43 PM by herb »

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 10:25:36 AM »
Allen, this is all they need to do, have done this many times, do they know which car rental company they are going to use, if so have them call about a week ahead of their arrival in FLORIDA,  and tell that they need a hand controled car because of the persons handicap, and they will set it up for you and it will be waiting for them at the airport, this is required by law for them to do this, but they need advanced notice in  order to have it ready for them, make sure they get a conformation number and the name of the person that they talk to. I have had no problems doing it this way, and most of the car rental companies will work with you on this matter.

Just for got, in some of the bigger airports the rental companies usually have two or three in stock at any one time, but best to check ahead of time just to make sure.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:29:05 AM by pegleg jack »
you-all have a great day.

Offline allen-uk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 11:55:55 AM »
Thanks Pegleg, I'll pass this on.

(Hope you are well).

Allen.

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 06:01:29 PM »
All the major car rental companies lease cars with special equipment. I live in Orlando and know many people who were able to get these reservations with no problem. Being a major vacation destination, Orlando is very "tourist friendly."  8)  Your friend can try Hertz (international # is 1-800-654-3001); They should be able to accommodate him (or recommend another source), and they charge no additional fees for the equipment.  

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 06:03:57 PM by Robogirl »
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."