Author Topic: Lawsuit  (Read 1617 times)

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
Lawsuit
« on: February 08, 2010, 02:02:50 AM »
Got a letter in the mail.
Seems some advocate has filed a class action lawsuit against the State of Texas regarding the fees for issuing handicapped placards/license plates.
Seems some feel the fee paid for this service is discrimination against the handicapped, and
some feel so oppressed as to file a suit.
My 72 year old mother( who broke a hip a few years ago and walks with a cane) got the same letter.
Her response: "Can you believe this nonsense?"

The fee over which this lawsuit was filed? 5 Dollars.  ::)

Of all the rip-off fees and fines I pay to the State of Texas,
5 Dollars to actually get some benefit seems an immense bargain.
I pay the state 3 dollars when I buy a car battery.
The state has ZERO to do with collection/recycling/proper disposal of the battery, but they get 3 bucks.
Shame on the lawyers who took this on, and shame on the judge who moved this nonsense forward.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
Re: Lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 03:51:25 AM »
Guzz:

Here in PA the Hsndicapped Parking Tag is free - I just renewed mine for 5 years. Cost=0.

I believe the license plates are the same cost as regular issue - thus no discrimination between handicapped and others.  Can't complain.

However, I agree with you, I wouldn't get all worked up over a $5 fee.

Class-action suits usually mean big bucks for lawyers, not much for anyone else..  I stay clear of 'em.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 08:27:06 AM »
Hi Guzz - the handicap parking permits are free in New Hampshire. But I would not mind paying a small fee for mine because the state does incur expense in issuing them and that expense has to be paid for somehow. I would like to see towns enforce the regulations regarding the use of the handicap permits. Everyday I see able body people using the handicap spaces and have never seen a ticket being issued. Herb

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 02:48:13 PM »
Herb:

Agreed on mis-use of handicapped spaces.  Irks me to see a car pull into a h/c space and a very able-bodied teenager hop out of the car and run into a nearby store.

Another pet peeve in the winter is when shopping centers plow snow from parking lots and pile it in the h/c spaces. (Less of a problem this year).

Worst abuse I saw was when a state highway crew pulled their big dump trunk into a Burger King and parked it sideways across ALL FOUR of the h/c spaces.  I felt like walking up to them inside the restaurant and ask "Which one of you guys is the handicapped driver?" 
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 06:06:49 PM »
I may have told this before but a few years back when I still lived close to town I went to the local grocery. I noticed the window washer hired by the grocer to wash the windows had parked in the handicapped space (I assume because it was closer and he didn't have to walk the 25' from the parking spaces.
I walk up from the regular parking area with my badge and asked him if he had one (after checking the windscreen, and he didn't have one...) He said he didn't and I said he couldn't park there as its for handicapped people. To make a long story short he got in a huff and we went in to talk to the manager. The manager apologized as he had said he could park there.
The window washer moved about 8' into the no parking area in front of the door.

That grocery is notorious for able bodied people taking the handicapped spaces.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 03:21:40 AM »
We just came thru two whopping storms here in PA.  After the first storm, two local shopping centers nearby actually had their h/c spaces plowed out and clear of snow.  Gotta congratulate them for that.

Now, as they plow out from the 2nd storm, I wonder where they'll find to put all the snow. 

Enough of the white stuff, already!
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 11:02:35 AM »
hey to all of you out there we have a about 1/4 inch of snow on the cars and roofs this morning, first time since i moved down here that we have had that much and it is melting fast.

Now getting back to the lawsuit, i for one dont mind paying 5 bucks for my stickers down here cause it comes out to 1 dollar a year for the use of it, got mine in 2006 and it is good until 2011, to me that is a bargian all the way around, they should be going after them idiots that use the spot and dont or is not handicapped. then another one that gets to me is when someone with handicaped plates in a f250 4x4 pulls in and climbs out of it looking like they dont need it, but i dont say anything cause i dont know their medical condition.
you-all have a great day.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 01:06:44 PM »
I pay $5 for five years also.  Don't bother me at all....as I can't walk very far..    :(     ..must be getting old.