Author Topic: Is there a proper name for the zapping/jolting pains in the stump?  (Read 3093 times)

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
I sat down after supper tonight thinking I was going to peacefully watch a few tv programs and the minute I sat down I got what I call the zapping pains, I have not had them for almost 6 months but when they come it is like torture.  It must be the nerve endings firing or something, it feels like I am being electrocuted randomly every few seconds.  There is no bracing yourself for the pain because you can't tell when the next pain will hit.
So what is the best remedy for these pains, sometimes I get relief from heat, it's times like this when I would like to change my mind about my no drug rule :'(

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a proper name for the zapping/jolting pains in the stump?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 10:41:57 AM »
Anne f, i also get them and in both legs at the same time, the only thing i have heard them caled are ZINGERS, and yes they hurt like all get out. and the only thing i have found to get rid of them is to go into a room by myself and try and relax, have found that if i get stressed out real bad them hit me. and have tried pain killers to get rid of them to no avail. Most of the time i have had to just ride it out until my nerves settle down and the stop on thier own. Sorry to be not much help on this.
you-all have a great day.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 01:00:26 PM »
Hi Anne f - I also get them. They come out of now where and and bother me for a day or 2 and then disappear for for a week or a few months. Mine come at a spacing of 20 or 30 seconds and only last for around 5 seconds but are really intense. I assume they are part of the phantom pain phenomenon even though they are definitely in my residual leg.

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 03:16:56 PM »
Zingers!  Yes that's right, now I remember them being called that once before, without a doubt one of the worst things I have experienced.  The pains last night lasted until 4:00 AM, every couple of seconds they would hit and lift my stump right up off the bed, in the end my good leg and both my arms started to cramp probably from clenching on and off for 10 hours, so today I am worthless, just sitting in my chair trying to recover - sigh!

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 05:08:53 PM »
Anne F.

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough bout.  My experiences are similar to what Herb describes.  Certainly a nuisance pain, but not the worst intense pain I've ever had.

My wife says they're like menstrual pains - they come for a day or two (rarely 3), and then disappear for a month or so.  Not quite so regular. tho.  Simetimes they're back in 2 weeks, sometimes as long as 6 or 7 weeks.  Usually a dose or two of Tylenol takes the edge off the discpomfort.

Some possible remedies - don't work for all:  plenty of sleep, plenty of water, potassium (more bananas), massaging the stump, gentle warmth, gentle squeezing (shrinker-type stump socks).

Some of us have been relatively fortunate pain-wise, others have had to resort to rather powerful pain meds.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 03:55:07 PM »
I can predict when these pains will come for me. After several hours of wearing any leg with a stocking of any thickness, I can expect them to come. When they come they hit me hard enough to scream. It happens so fast you hardly have time to react before they stop again but don't be fooled by the lull. They return again in as little as a few seconds with a great intensity. Then they seem to last even longer and hurt worse. I have found no remedy or even slight relief except to take 2 Percosettes and go to sleep
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:49:29 PM »
Joe:

Sorry to hear of the intensity.  My phantoms are definitely annoying,  but not truly debilitating, and I take Tylenol to "take the edge off", but it doesn't take it all away.

Percoset was given me in the hospital after each amp, after the morphine IV for the first 24 to 36 hours.  Both the morphine AND the percoset bound up the bowels.  After a few days of those drugs, it took Roto-Rooter to get things going again.  Those drugs sure kill pain - but at what price?  I was off of them before I left the hospital.

A milder pain-killer, and one that didn't have the bowel effects, is Endoset (sp).  Still more powerful than something like Tylenol.

Joe:  We ought to put our heads together and invent a way to train the brain to "shut off" pain nerves for limbs that are no longer there.  You and I have had our amps for enough years, you'd think our brains would catch on by now that those limbs are missing, right?
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Showtime1k

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 12:18:13 AM »
i know this is old but if it helps anyone else,  i usually stand up and let the blood flow into the stump to stop the jolting or even a shower helped. maybe cause i was standing, but it helped

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 02:00:27 PM »
i know this is old but if it helps anyone else,  i usually stand up and let the blood flow into the stump to stop the jolting or even a shower helped. maybe cause i was standing, but it helped

I have always used warm heat or my original shrinker sock {used directly after surgery}. :)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 06:16:30 PM »
Showtime1K, when you are a single bka that works great, but when you are a bilat and have them in both legs then standing up with out your legs on is a big no no,  cause i have yet been able to put full wieght on the bottom of my stump and i lost mine in MARCH OF 2002, most of the time when i get them is to just work them out with mind over matter and that usually works for me, and i get zingers that will almost not me off my legs.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Showtime1k

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 08:24:45 PM »
true, it happened to me at night, couldnt stand all night though, had to get some sleep. if i remember, i think i kept contracting the muscle in my stump when i was laying. didnt stop it but made it less painful. kept doing it every 18 seconds, right when its about to jolt till i fell asleep. seems like it has something to do with circulation

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 06:23:52 AM »
In the early days my phantom pain was fairly brutal. My accident was in July 2000. I do get the odd jolt but it usually comes out of the blue and only lasts a few seconds then its back to normal.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.