Author Topic: Thoughts on the new Backscatter x-ray machines at the airports?  (Read 6183 times)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the new Backscatter x-ray machines at the airports?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 01:06:20 PM »
I would not mind any necessary steps to insure security. I do not like any needless exposure to xray radiation. With all my medical problems over the years, I have already been overexposed to xrays. I expect that with the fear of terrorists concealing explosives within their body that the xrays will keep getting stronger so that they can see if a person is hiding something in their body. Of course these scans are useless if the person watching the monitor is daydreaming or otherwise distracted.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:28:49 PM by herb »

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 05:29:44 PM »
Herb:

I agree with you on needless exposure to x-rays.  For an ocassionaly flyrt like me, it may  not be a big deal.  What about the person who has to flu regularly for their wotk?  For them, maybe private chartered planes is the answer.

I'm a little skeptical about it all.  We know that for every new security feature to protect our computers, there are hackers out there trying to foil them.  Likewise, for every new sphisticated technology device to screen out terrorists, there are terrorist-hackers working to foil the system.  It's a never-ending game for them.

I'm sure they are looking for a substance that won't show up in the scanner.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 11:25:43 PM »
Ron Paul was roundly ridiculed for raising the idea of blowback during the recent election.

The idea that our actions don't have consequences is absurd.
See Iran in 1979, after us deposing a duly elected prime minister not of our liking.
Or Iraq, or Afghanistan.
Coming soon to Pakistan, and others.

Hint: They don't hate us for our freedom. .
Theyt don't hate us for firm breasts in white cotton t-shirts.
Or skimpy bikinis.
Or rock and roll or booze or cigarettes.

They hate us because we kill their children, and replace their chosen gov'ts with those of our liking.
If someone did the same here, I would take my M1 Garand out of the safe and put it to work.
I find it hard to believe that is so hard to understand.

How do we stop this:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6229512773940934022#
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:30:40 PM by guzzitx »

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 10:19:19 AM »
Guzzitx:

Thank you for saying it so bluntly.  You've hit the nail on the head.

We don't need more backscatter machines at the airports.
We need fewer American soldiers invading other sovereign nations.
We need less of well-armed America telling other nations what weapons they are allowed or not allowed to have.
We need less of America's "diplomacy"-by-military-invasion.
We need less of US giving and selling weaponry to nations all over the earth so that they can wage more wars. (and our military industrialists make more profits).

A little cartoon character named "POGO" said many years ago "We has met the enemy, and the enemy is us!"

Yep.  By our arrogant actions in the World, we have done more to encourage another attack. 

The Biblical David slew the arrogant Giant with a rock and a sling-shot.

The modern-day "davids" want to slay the arrogant Giant with IED's and exploding underpants.

When skill and hatred meet, Warch Our!
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 12:44:58 PM »
Dick,

Do you want other countries such as Korea & Iran to have these weapons?  Don't you think we should help countries where their leaders are brow beating their country men?  As I have said I know we are not perfect....but holy cow we should help those that have nothing.  You are a christian.  These people want to kill all of us.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 03:42:12 PM »
Ann:

Nope.  I don't wamt Iran or N. Korea or Yemen to have nuclear weapons. But, guess what, I don't think we should have 'em either.

Can you see the resentment of these other nations when we (the only nation that has already bombed cities with them) maintain a big stockpile of 'em, yet tell these other nations they're not allowed to have such weapons?

Helping other nations when our help is wanted is one thing - invading other countries overthrowing their governments, because we Americans (not the nationals) decide their government isn't good enough, that's quite another thing.

How would we Americans feel if Country X decides our government isn't good enough, invades our land, overthrows our governemnt and replaces it with one that THEY (not the American people) choose?  You don't think we'd be fighting back?

If it's not right for Country X to invade America, why is it right for America to invade Country X ?
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 06:10:35 AM »
Well said Dick and Guzz. I never thought America was perfect but it took moving to another country to see how other countries see us. Sometimes it's lovely but sometimes it's not a very pretty picture. America has great potential but we seemed to have become the arrogant bully and have lost our way. 

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 08:35:13 AM »
G'morning, Steve:

Ah yes.  Thanks for that image of li'l Pogo, that classic philosopher of the Okeffenokee Swamp.   :)  He was a regular in the comic pages of my youth.  He would have a field-day with today's politicians. Hehe.  :)
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA