Author Topic: YIPPEEEEEEEE  (Read 2133 times)

Offline chasamp

• View Profile
YIPPEEEEEEEE
« on: March 12, 2008, 01:17:29 PM »
I am so excited. I finally walked today with the cane. The walker is killing my shoulders so I'm eager to get rid of it. Although I don't have anything to compare it to, I love this "Agility" knee. Just had to share my good news.
AK - Nov 30th 2007

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: YIPPEEEEEEEE
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 04:31:37 PM »
Congratulations Chas... hopefully it's all downhill from here!
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 04:04:07 PM »
Hi Chasamp - that is great that you have gotten rid of your walker. I always liked crutches more than a walker. The next thing to get rid of is your cane. Forcing yourself to walk without the cane will develop your balance and strength, both of which are necesary for walking well on your prosthesis. Good luck. herb

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 07:20:46 PM »
Glad to hear you're moving from a walker to a cane.  Don't be too eager to throw the cane away, but that doesn't mean you have to USE it.  You can just carry it as you start to get better, then it's there if you need it for a few steps.

Instead of hoping it's all downhill, I hope it's all flat and smooth.  (easier than downhill!)

Keep up the good work though.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
chasamp, glad to read that you have graduated to a cane, but as others have said don't get rid of it after you have mastered walking without it, i haven't used a cane in about 3 years. but if i go out into a area that i know that there is going to be a lot of people walking around, i take my cane with me.

i went on time without it and picked myself up off the ground a couple of times and now i know better, people have a tendency to walk around you if you have a cane with you. without it i was constantly getting bummed in to and finally was knocked down by people.

mine hangs in the closet with my coats where i can grasp it if i need  to use it.

you-all have a great day.

Offline Budsmom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 09:00:34 PM »
I never ever used a cane.  Not sure what to do with it my hands are usually fulll of wood or other work related stuff hehehe.